Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:33:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Yer rare/valuable games

Started by Pink Gregory, May 26, 2022, 04:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

So basically I regret almost every trade in I ever did but I had a bit of a spate of game-buying again when I was briefly living at home on an apprentice's wage and not having to pay more than nominal rent (also I had no friends so no going out), so I think I've still got a few thinga that I'm pleased to have that might now be out of reach to my somewhat shallower pockets now.

I have a copy of Ghost Trick for the DS, one selling for £50 on ebay right now, definitely didn't pay that for it.  Not one I've finished because it's very text heavy and I think I sort of drifted off.

Wii version of Pikmin 2, seems to be about the same, paid probably too much (around £25) for a game that I still around 8 years later haven't played, but it was probably cheaper than the Gamecube version

seems to be it

JamesTC

I had a key for a game that was going for over £100 on key stores (an old Duke Nukem game). I gave it to a friend who redeemed it. Some of the classic Sonic games are getting delisted, so I wouldn't be surprised if the spare keys for those that I have will appreciate a fair bit soon.

I do regret trading in many of my old games. Would be lovely to still have them all, but going all digital on PC feels so much more free, whilst still scratching the collector's itch by being able to categorise everything and make it all neat and tidy in Steam.

Pink Gregory

Yeah with this thread I've probably overestimated the number of people who still have and use physical games.

dontpaintyourteeth

Nothing too amazing here but I'm led to believe Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve II can sell for a decent amount? Still got those

Crenners

Couple of JPN-exclusive Cave bullet hell games on 360, looks like a couple of hundred quid each on eBay but I'd only sell them to fund a PCB at some stage which will probably never happen.

bgmnts

Everything is digital now booo but I did used to have a a copy of Splinter Cell that was labelled 'Splintr Cell'. Unsure if that was a rare mistake or quite common but I never saw it anywhere else.

Quote from: Crenners on May 26, 2022, 06:02:49 PMCouple of JPN-exclusive Cave bullet hell games on 360, looks like a couple of hundred quid each on eBay but I'd only sell them to fund a PCB at some stage which will probably never happen.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about those! I've got a load of 360 shmups too. I gave away my sealed copy of eschatos because it got a digital release on PC before I got round to playing it, so I had no need for it anymore.

Turns out that was worth a couple of quid XD - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=eschatos+sealed

Brundle-Fly

The original Atari E.T. landfill game, apparently.

Goldentony

my mate has a PS4 with the Silent Hills demo on it that he refused to sell despite the fact that when they came out he bought himself two

Moving house last year, I found MGS Twin Snakes for GameCube. Looked on eBay and they were going for £75.

Pretty sure I accidentally put it in a charity shop bag. if you're reading this fella from Mind I know you yoinked it you fuckin snaaaaaaaake!

lazyhour

Got the PAL release of this. Goes for absolutely stupid money nowadays.

lazyhour

Also got this Japan-only Game Boy Pocket Light somewhere (it has a lit-up screen!).

Crenners

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 26, 2022, 06:19:21 PMOh, yeah, I forgot about those! I've got a load of 360 shmups too. I gave away my sealed copy of eschatos because it got a digital release on PC before I got round to playing it, so I had no need for it anymore.

You've been really generous with your sticks and everything - and advice. I know we haven't talked for a long while now and Internet pals is limited as we discussed indirectly but thanks for all the conversations and laughs we had over the last couple of mad fucking years.

Aw, you too, crenners, lad. Yeah, the last few years have been really weird. Hopefully things are starting to settle down and level out a bit for everyone now.
Hope your keeping well!

weaseldust

i've got the pal version of animal crossing on gamecube with memory card which seems to go for about £100 on ebay for some reason, not sure why it's so rare. i've been slightly tempted to sell it but also it might become more valuable over time? i don't know. i also want to keep it a bit

lazarou

The most valuable one I had was the PAL-exclusive English version of Michigan: Report from Hell on PS2 which goes for absolutely insane money these days. I haven't been back home in a while so there's a slim chance I still have it tucked away there somewhere but I suspect I resold it for a small profit 10 years back and have half-forgotten about it.

I foolishly ditched most of my massive PS1 collection around a ten or twelve ago, including several games which have rocketed in value since (and I know CEX gave me a shitty deal, the fucking cunts. I was just too desperate to shift them at the time)

I kept hold of my much smaller Dreamcast collection though so clearly I wasn't completely clueless, especially looking at how much Shenmue I & II go for in the original boxes(and some in much worse condition than mine judging by ebay pics). I think the other really valuable ones I still have are the original DC version of Skies Of Arcadia and the obscure SMT spin-off Maken X (both around £80 - £125).

Memorex MP3

Seemingly everyone else threw out their cardboard gb/gba boxes so half my games for both are worth way more than I paid for that reason alone. Kind of surprised the pokemons are worth more than the Zelda Oracle games though considering they're presumably some of the last Zelda games to get in a lot of collections.

Beyond cardboard boxes it's probably a few ps2 rpg games by atlus.

Was kinda hard to collect anything that would gather much value when my main source of games (outside of an annual trip to Dublin) was a Tesco, and even then I'd only get there maybe once a month.
Then I got broadband and just pirated everything.

Kind of confused how little discourse I hear about PAL valuations, presumably loads are worth way less than their NTSC counterparts due to 50Hz? Or are you largely stuck with 50Hz in Europe due to most the good CRTs available here being 50Hz so it's less of an issue?

madhair60

Sold them all years ago. Needed the space more. Had loads. The only ones I regret selling are my N64 carts. I had basically every good game on the system, but I needed that space. I'd like to have them now that I'm regressing into a 90% retrogaming diet.

I'm selling my rare Gamecube games right now, and making a bit of a mint. Just flogged a pristine Fire Emblem last week.

The market's fucking ridiculous atm. It's gonna crash.

Quote from: lazyhour on May 26, 2022, 06:35:01 PM

Got the PAL release of this. Goes for absolutely stupid money nowadays.

I had two of these. : T

lazarou

Quote from: madhair60 on May 27, 2022, 09:24:28 AMThe market's fucking ridiculous atm. It's gonna crash.

Yeah that is definitely coming, anyone looking into them as an investment these days is about 15 years too late. Of course there's always going to be a certain demand for famous legacy titles but a lot of the rest of it is going to fall by the wayside, I think.

A notable (if relatively fringe) case is probably the home micro market, which has spiked considerably in price over the last while but is set to absolutely flatline once the original generation of owners start dying off. I love that stuff but there is little to no interest in it outside of a fairly specific and rapidly ageing target market and I strongly suspect that stuff will be returning to the point where people will struggle to give it away in the not too distant future.

oggyraiding

When I was about 14, my friend and I did a temporary game swap. I gave him Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes and Chibi Robo. He gave me Tombi 2 and Grim Fandango. He never gave me my games back, so I kept his. Tombi 2 is worth at least £100 nowadays; both Chibi Robo and Twin Snakes are worth £100+ too. So I gained £100 from him, he gained £250 from me, overall I came out with a bad outcome for this trade.

Also somewhere in my parents' loft or basement is a Dreamcast full size display kiosk. Not sure if they're valuable but I don't imagine them being common.

stonkers

I've got a bunch of Saturn and Dreamcast stuff that I reckon would fetch a few hundred all in. Annoyingly I flogged Dragon Force and Shining Force III years ago, they now go for abut £200 - £300 each.

Sonny_Jim

Sharp Twin Famicom is my pride and joy, but it needs recapping and the floppy realigning, which I seem to remember is a massive pain in the bum to do.  Favourite title is the Japanese version of Bionic Commando, which has nazi flags and Hitler in it, which were cut outside of Japan.

I bought a load of SNES stuff back in the early 2000's, even then the prices were a bit silly.  I ended up getting the majority of my stuff from Japan, where you could still buy a SNES for 20 quid.  Shipping was always the killer, but when you did combined shipping it came out alright.  The only real highlight of my SNES collection is that I have every single Super FX game released, although unboxed and different regions.  I even have the 'super rare' PAL Winter Gold, a load of them got butchered up for Starfox 2 repros so there's not as many left.

I've owned a few pinball tables, sold them all when I emigrated.  Owned Bride of Pinbot, Black Knight, Lethal Weapon 3 and a Twilight Zone.  Sold them all years ago, before the market went uber-ridiculous during COVID.

Currently fixing up 2 JAMMA cabs, both with CRTs because why own a JAMMA cab if it doesn't have a CRT.  Scary fun to work on them, pain in the arse to find someone to fix the chassis and LCDs are objectively better, but I'm a sucker for the scan line.  At some point I'll do a MAME cabs thread I think.

Oh and my hot take, PS2 / Xbox games are never going to be as collectible as the NES/SNES/PSX games, purely because once you get to that generation and later, the library goes from 700 carts for a complete collection, to something like 7,000, which is something nobody is going to bother to do.

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on May 27, 2022, 01:10:08 PMOh and my hot take, PS2 / Xbox games are never going to be as collectible as the NES/SNES/PSX games, purely because once you get to that generation and later, the library goes from 700 carts for a complete collection, to something like 7,000, which is something nobody is going to bother to do.

Oof. Imagine how desolate a task it would be acquiring every single shovelware title released on the Wii.

Quote from: oggyraiding on May 27, 2022, 12:24:12 PMAlso somewhere in my parents' loft or basement is a Dreamcast full size display kiosk.

Wow! Is there a story behind that? I'm imagining a long liquid lunch and a stumble past dixons on the way home.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on May 27, 2022, 01:10:08 PMOh and my hot take, PS2 / Xbox games are never going to be as collectible as the NES/SNES/PSX games, purely because once you get to that generation and later, the library goes from 700 carts for a complete collection, to something like 7,000, which is something nobody is going to bother to do.
Gamecube and Wii U will probably do alright by virtue of being the last ones it might be achievable to get everything for. Gamecube has already had mental price increases I think?

Wii U in general could wind up expensiveish, I was gonna dump mine but want to still play a few games on it so didn't. Most recent look and the gamepads are already creeping up in value (lotsa consoles, especially if you count all the ones with a broken hdmi port, increasingly few gamepads).

The Wii U might just be the console itself though, if it's as fragile as it seems and people have been so reckless about theres since the Switch has almost everything ported, the few unportable weirdos like nintendoland and star fox zero may turn the console into a highly desired curio.

Sonny_Jim

I reckon Neogeo pocket would have been a good one to collect, the unit itself is pretty nice, decent smallish library of games.

At one point I had the Rainbow Island and New Zealand Story arcade PCBs, was trying to get Bubble Bobble for the 'Taito Trinity' but it was always just too expensive.  Sold the Rainbow Island and kept TNZS, because I have such fond memories of playing it.

dumpster

NeoGeo pocket was removed from sale in the UK.  I worked for Game at the time and we randomly got an email to box up everything and send it to the warehouse.  Should have bought it all.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course, but I worked there in the glory days, honestly what I believe to have been the peak time in proper gaming. We had a delivery one day of Sega MultiMegas, years after they stopped manufacture, £50 each, all mint. Someone found them in a corner at the warehouse and sent them to stores to get rid. Should have bought them all.

Or the Samba De Amigo Dreamcast sets with maracas. Or the Castlevania games. I swapped my Castlevania SOTN this year for an Xbox Series X at CEX, brand new. 

My Paper Mario for GameCube sold for £140 on eBay. Loads of stuff in my garage that I can emulate if I ever wanted to play it, going for silly money at the moment. During the time I worked for game, loads of ultra cool, rare collectible stuff got delivered all the time. Should have bought it all.

The big regret was Magic The Gathering Cards.  There was a customer called John who bought these booster packs at £2.79 and bemoaned how there was nowhere in town to meet people and play the game. So we worked together and every Wednesday we stayed open late, stuck a table oen the shopfloor and sold cards to these MTG fans. 

We noticed that their shopping habits changed over time. New players would buy booster packs and examine the cards they received. Over time, they'd start to only look at the top 5 or so.  Turns out, the cards were printed in different quantities.  The first 4 cards were uncommon, the 5th was rare and the rest everyone already had loads of.  But the big secret was that the manufacturer printed these cards on massive sheets that got cut up into 36 booster packs, shipped to the store in a sealed box, and the shops would break the seal and put them on the shelves.

We were asked, and we obliged, to sell the boxes of 36 boosters, sealed. As a store manager I was more than happy to sell these silly quantities of cards to this mad group of players.  We rung the warehouse and explained and they sent up sealed boxes, as many as we asked for.  John and his buddies bought them all, becasue each box represented one full sheet from the factory.  And this guaranteed that you got one of the rarest cards.  Middle row, third pack down, card 5. Black Lotus, worth a grand to any collector.

And we didn't realise.  These guys were spending money in our stores, we were quids in. But it distracted us from the fact that we should have been buying these boxes too.  £60 with staff discount.  And of course every box guarantees a rare card which today are worth utterly stupid money.  Magic The Gathering is my Bitcoin.  Should have bought it all.  A sealed box sells for about £50,000 and I could have had as many as I wanted.

oggyraiding

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 27, 2022, 03:36:38 PMWow! Is there a story behind that? I'm imagining a long liquid lunch and a stumble past dixons on the way home.

Nothing so exciting. My dad did business with the company who designed and manufactured the units, so we got a kiosk with the included console and controllers, and a few promo edition games, for cheap. Think it was some racing game, Virtua Tennis, and the highlight was Soul Calibur.

I reckon a collector would pay through the nose for that.