Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:13:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - the sixth (and final) season

Started by Blue Jam, February 24, 2021, 12:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Norse

Finished this off over the weekend, having waited until all the episodes were up. Incredible stuff - for a show to be going so long yet seemingly get tighter and better control of so many storylines and character arcs is so impressive; and it's as stylishly-framed and brilliantly-acted as ever.

Only problem now is that they're going to start dropping the final episodes in the middle of July when I (like most other people, I imagine) am on holiday and can't commit to watching weekly either. Guess I'll have to save the first couple again.

Blue Jam

Quote from: buttgammon on May 26, 2022, 08:09:27 PM'Fly' is brilliant in my opinion, but I am a massive sucker for bottle episodes.

I'm surprised "Switch" has such a low rating, that's one of my favourites. Sexy little episode that, it's like a little romatic screwball comedy. Nice bookends too with the switch/alarm. And Gene! And KEN WINS! What's not to love?

I love "Fly" as well for the same reason, love a good bottle episode. Love Walt getting his pride hurt by a tiny insect too.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 24, 2022, 10:26:23 PMThey're gonna have a very tense conversation with Lalo while Howard's body just lays on the floor there. So bleak.

Watch the episode of Talking Saul I linked to above (and managed to get through all the YouTube adverts, jeez, sorry about that):

Spoiler alert
Bob Odenkirk recalls Patrick Fabian's stand-in having to lie perfectly still on the floor of Kim's apartment "for hours", which makes me think you're right and that we may be in for the grimmest bottle episode ever
[close]

I liked Fly enough on first watch but it's diminishing returns on rewatches. When binging the show, it feels less like a series of episodes and more like a story unfolding, but Fly is self-consciously An Episode with a different style and feel to it. Next to Better Call Saul especially, I think they got better at slow, character driven stuff.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 25, 2022, 12:33:42 AMSlippin Jimmy E1 is a western with snowball shootout. No laughs. Probably some film refs I missed.

SJ E2 is possessed nun/teacher. No laughs. Probably some film refs I missed.

Will probably just watch Hey Arnold now.

Thanks for watching so we didn't have to. I so wanted this to be surprisingly good, what with the creators being BCS writers who seem to have put some love and real effort into this, but it doesn't look great, and the animation style looks pretty ugly and generic. I'm surprised they weren't inspired by all the great fanart out there.

Anyway, AMC have made Cooper's Bar available on YouTube, and it isn't geolocked. All six episodes with the lovely Racy being "the biggest dick in Hollywood" linked to here:

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/better-call-saul-fans-can-get-their-rhea-seehorn-fix-at-coopers-bar/

EDIT: Just watched episode 1, and yes, this is enjoyable. Not sure how it ties into the BCS universe just yet but I'm wondering if Racy's red jacket is something more than a coincidence. Fun to watch her playing a blunt unlikable asshole.

NoSleep

I suppose Kim sees a similarity between her mum and Jimmy, up until now.

colacentral

I always wondered why in Breaking Bad, Saul had some connection to Gus without actually being his lawyer. I'm thinking the trajectory of the next few episodes is: Lalo tries to use Saul as a pawn in some scheme to get at Gus and Mike; but he can't out scheme the master schemer of the whole show, and Saul is the one instrumental in setting Lalo up, leaving him on good terms with Gus and Mike, and meaning they'll feel like they owe him one when he tries to set up a meeting with Walt later.

Last episode, I'll predict that Gene seeks out Kim, with her own new identity, and she pretends not to know him or something.

Mobbd

Quote from: colacentral on May 31, 2022, 11:18:31 PMI always wondered why in Breaking Bad, Saul had some connection to Gus without actually being his lawyer. I'm thinking the trajectory of the next few episodes is: Lalo tries to use Saul as a pawn in some scheme to get at Gus and Mike; but he can't out scheme the master schemer of the whole show, and Saul is the one instrumental in setting Lalo up, leaving him on good terms with Gus and Mike, and meaning they'll feel like they owe him one when he tries to set up a meeting with Walt later.

Last episode, I'll predict that Gene seeks out Kim, with her own new identity, and she pretends not to know him or something.

Oof. Very, very plausible. I wouldn't be disappointed by any of that should it come to pass.

Blue Jam

I dreamt another episode of BCS: It was a comedic caper set in a zoo, where Kim and Jimmy had a set a little baby elehant on Howard and it was following him round being all playful and happy and trying to squirt water on his suit.

I have just realised the baby elephant represented Lalo, and this was all wishful thinking :'(

kalowski

Don't forget the gun Gus placed on the wheel of the digger in the future meth lab cellar. Chekhov knew his potatoes.

Blue Jam

Probably all just misdirection and Lalo's gonna die of food poisoning. Bit daft thinking a sewer is a good place to have lunch.

Inspector Norse

The Saul of Breaking Bad does think Lalo is still alive, of course, though he may obviously not be privy to what has happened between Gus and Lalo.

Blue Jam

Have we had any praise for Joey the camera guy being a power-crazed dick and lording it over a class of UNM students yet? Absolutely loved that. Then this properly Saul-esque comeback from Jimmy:

(credit to Reddit)

Povidone

Quote from: kalowski on June 01, 2022, 05:22:05 PMDon't forget the gun Gus placed on the wheel of the digger in the future meth lab cellar. Chekhov knew his potatoes.

Was thinking about this today and my current theory is that the cartel storyline in BCS ends in a gunfight between Gus and Lalo in the meth lab hole, obviously we know who survives there. It is then revealed that Lalo's ghost is actually the titular fly from the Breaking Bad episode 'fly'.

NoSleep

Where are we in the BCS/BB timeline up to this point? Someone called "Lalo" was an imminent threat to Saul when we first meet him in BB in season 2, but then we hear no more about him, so he's presumably dead (or otherwise out of the picture), but Saul doesn't know.

Presumably Tuco is due out of prison, if the timelines are meeting up, too. Reckon he'll make a show in the closing episodes?

Old Nehamkin

We are still about 4 years away from the start of Breaking Bad, at least according to the people on the fan wikis that have put together timelines for the two shows.

NoSleep

According to the Villains wiki, when Lalo first visits Hector in BCS he mentions that Tuco is "due out in eleven months".

If there's still four years to go before BB that seems a long time for Saul to be thinking Walt and Jesse are Lalo's guys out of the blue.

NoSleep

OK, the timeline says Lalo first appears January 17 2004 (in season 4) and Howard dies June 24 2004, so they're probably aiming to wrap up before Tuco is out of prison.

BB starts in 2008.

Odd, then, that Lalo is the 2nd thing (after "Ignacio") to come to Saul's mind 4 years later. Unless they flash forward a few years at some point in the final episodes.

JamesTC

The rumour I've heard, possibly spoilers if there is anything to it...

Spoiler alert
The production usually ask for cars that are pre-2004. This changed later in this season when they asked for pre-2006, pre-2008 and pre-2011.

So it seems like at least three or four episodes take place after 2004.
[close]

BritishHobo

I've started a rewatch of the show, hoping to get through it all before 6.2 starts. Watching the scene in season 1 episode 4 where Kim harangues Jimmy for his overly-personal 'declaration of war' in targeting Howard with the billboard ad makes me really appreciate what they've done with Kim's character. I spent so much of the first three or four seasons just focusing on Jimmy becoming Saul, I never gave it enough credit for everything else it was doing.

I was on record here as finding seasons 3 and 4 so slow-going that I almost stopped watching before season 5 blew me away. I'm excited to give them another chance with fresh eyes.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Confession: I think I quite fancy the make up girl who works for Saul. I'd probably ask her to keep the ears on.

Head Gardener

I've heard so many reviews and recaps saying "Didn't Lalo already know where the laundry site was?" that I had to finally go back and watch the scene in question, which is season five, episode one. It's a meeting that takes place at Gus's chicken factory, where he has the German engineers build a mock-up construction site to try and throw off Lalo's suspicions. It's just funny how everyone (myself included) remembers this as Lalo actually visited the lab site. I'm glad this show doesn't dumb anything down but I'm beginning to understand why most shows do.

NoSleep

I had the same thing regarding Gus' arrangement at home (actually lives nextdoor via a tunnel for security) until I rewatched the episode.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on June 02, 2022, 01:00:38 PMConfession: I think I quite fancy the make up girl who works for Saul. I'd probably ask her to keep the ears on.

I've always thought she has a really cool face, really striking. Nowt embarrassing about that, could be worse ;)

A bit of new spoilery stuff, albeit with no sources confirmed so maybe take this with a pinch of salt (EDIT: Apparently this is all on IMDB, but again, the info may not be accurate):

SPOILERY URL

Spoiler alert
Walt and Jesse will appear in episode 610
[close]

and

Spoiler alert
Cheryl Hamlin will feature in 608. If that's true, that suggests it won't be a bottle episode with Jimmy, Kim and Lalo having a chat over her husband's dead body. What could it be? Police interview? Sorting out his will with HHM? Awkward funeral that Kim and Jimmy have to sit through while trying not to look too guilty?
[close]

JamesTC

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 02, 2022, 07:20:07 PM
Spoiler alert
Walt and Jesse will appear in episode 610
[close]

Spoiler alert
That lines up with what I heard. Episode 8 and 9 being in 2004. Episode 10 and possibly some of 11 covering BB era. Episode 11-13 being the Gene era.

Mostly based on the production requesting cars from a certain era but also the director listed for Episode 11 has filmed Gene stuff.
[close]

Ohh, I have just realised something based on a spoiler I'd seen:

Spoiler alert
The RV makes a return. It was the RV which Walt and Jesse took Saul when he first met Jesse and was fearing Lalo had kidnapped him. Could we be revisiting the kidnapping and elaborating on it? Maybe seeing it from another angle with Lalo potentially still being alive.
[close]

Blue Jam

Quote from: JamesTC on June 02, 2022, 07:34:34 PM
Spoiler alert
That lines up with what I heard. Episode 8 and 9 being in 2004. Episode 10 and possibly some of 11 covering BB era. Episode 11-13 being the Gene era.

Mostly based on the production requesting cars from a certain era but also the director listed for Episode 11 has filmed Gene stuff.
[close]

That also lines up with

Spoiler alert
the extras casting agency putting out calls for pre-2012 vehicles, in light colours for background, with a note that "red is acceptable" when they usually request no red cars (what with red being the colour of criminality in this show). Light colours made me think this must be for background in black and white- ie, Gene- scenes.

Also during the later stages of filming fake snow was seen at a filming location, along with a load of police cars marked "Omaha Police", so I reckon 11-13 may very well be all-Gene episodes.

All this would of course also tie in with episodes 1-10 of each series having those same ten opening titles in sequence, 11-13 will have to do something different.
[close]

QuoteOhh, I have just realised something based on a spoiler I'd seen:

Spoiler alert
The RV makes a return. It was the RV which Walt and Jesse took Saul when he first met Jesse and was fearing Lalo had kidnapped him. Could we be revisiting the kidnapping and elaborating on it? Maybe seeing it from another angle with Lalo potentially still being alive.
[close]

Interesting, I hadn't caught that one, cheers.

Blue Jam

There's a full episode of Slippin' Jimmy on the official BCS Facebook now if anyone wants to check it out:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=548569930105770

Spoiler alert
"Get your fanny down here"- no wonder Bob Odenkirk didn't voice this, he'd be ashamed at the paucity of the swearing.
[close]

Nice little callback to Jimmy and Marco's scamming montage at 0:58, and the baby powder may be a nod to the baggie Jimmy planted in Howard's locker. I like the taxi looking suspiciously like a Suzuki Esteem, and I guess the whole thing of Jimmy and Marco being desperate to know how their favourite comic book saga finally ends is a bit meta... nah, this is a struggle to watch and just a bit unnecessary isn't it? And I can't imagine young Jimmy as a comic book geek, wasn't he more the type to be hiding issues of Playboy inside issues of Mad magazine?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I've never been tempted to watch it because it looks rubbish.

Blue Jam

Yes, there's some easter eggs in there but it's not really subtle, more a collection of references. It's a bit like the Trailer Park Boys animated series, similarly pointless. Really don't like the animation style either, think it's by the peeps who do Rick and Morty and it was meant to be retro, but it's not retro in a cool or interesting way, just a bit ugly. The character design's not great either, Marco is just about recognisable but apart from the receding hairline (on a child?) the animated Jimmy doesn't look like the live action one at all.

Meh, go and watch Undone instead. That's how it's, er, done.

Blue Jam

Possibly spoilery pic tweeted by the official BCS account:

https://twitter.com/BetterCallSaul/status/1533435721071083522

Spoiler alert

Clifford Main in what looks like a hospital corridor, perhaps suggesting that Howard's body is taken to the morgue instead of being acided.
[close]

Also a heads-up that 608 is being screened at the Tribeca Film Festival on the 18th of June, so you may want to try extra hard to avoid spoilers after that, for almost a whole f***ing month:

https://tribecafilm.com/films/better-call-saul-2022