Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:31:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shitcoms - The Worst Sitcoms In History

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 24, 2021, 08:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on March 25, 2021, 09:06:31 PM
I've never heard of that mondegreen - but somehow it works better than 'half-shell'.  Probably because 1) turtles don't have half-shells, and 2) they're ninjas, so they're hard.  As well as having a shell.  Don't think that double-meaning would work in the US, but it works for me, so fuck it.

And they're green. Whoop!

purlieu

My mate at school insisted it was house shell. I said hard shell. Both idiots.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: kryton2.0 on March 25, 2021, 06:57:12 PM
Thanks for the link. It still doesn't explain why he hates nunchuks so much though. If anything they should have removed Donatello's staff because any kid worth their salt can get hold of a chunk of wood or gnarled branch. The BBFC were barking up the wrong tree when it came to makeshift ninja hero weapons.

There's an article here about the ninja panic. There doesn't seem a good explanation of why they banned nunchuks and even link sausages used as a weapon. But anything ninja was considered bad. Throwing stars are more obviously evil, but you could do yourself an injury with nunchuks before you even got near other kids. I guess banning wooden sticks would be harder as Robin Hood used them for ages without any children dying.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lifehacker.com.au/2018/07/today-i-discovered-the-uk-governments-irrational-fear-of-ninjas/amp/

paddy72

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 21, 2021, 10:13:57 AM
Has there been a thread on Sally4ever? I've been on a Lockdown Julia Davis bingewatch, and bingewatching the work of any artist really isnae advisable , as it really highlights the formulaic way these things are written ( for example, there are an astonishing amount of gags about Lee the Northener never taking baths, and being adverse to washing in general,  throughout the run of " Not Going Out") ; Julia Davis is incapable of playing any other character different from the one than the one that she plays , and is equally as incapable of writing characters as anything other than unrealistic  grotesques [ although I accept that the lack of realism is a deliberate artistic decision on her part ]. As she gets older, this tendency worsens, and the characterisation  and gross- out offensive scenes become more heightened. I laughed with incredulity rather than genuine amusement at the denoument of episode 4 of Sally4eva' s closing scene.
Oh, and Vicki Pepperdine can only play one sort of comedy character, too.

Although I quite enjoyed Sally4Ever, I think Camping is the best thing Julia Davis has done in more recent years. Yes, it's another similar character for her, but the last two episodes are so grotesque and bizarre that it almost verges on weird British horror. Props to David Bamber for that performance.

purlieu

Camping is one of the most difficult things to watch I've ever seen. Starts with some fairly well observed awkward character comedy and gradually turns into absolute monstrous chaos. A brilliantly unpleasant show, and I think probably a real distillation of everything Julia Davis does.

Bentpitch

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 06, 2021, 07:42:02 PMEarly 80s Southern TV curiosity Take a Letter, Mr Jones may have had noble aims in subverting workplace gender assumptions but unfortunately it was fucking rubbish.

My avatar says hi.
Rula Lenska was in this, wasn't she? I associate this sitcom with eating Pot Noodles on an early Saturday evening. Speaking of which, Metal fucking Mickey.

Glebe

Quote from: Bentpitch on May 19, 2023, 08:16:09 PMMetal fucking Mickey.

Very haunto-nostalgic for me that, though. But to be fair I watched a bit of it on YT a couple of years ago and yes it dated really badly. Kids nowadays would just watch it and go "No wonder the world's fucked."

dissolute ocelot

I never watched Metal Mickey as a kid so I assumed it was American, like ALF. But wow, it's not. Colin Bostock-Smith, Mickey Dolenz, and Irene Handl (EDIT: and the future Baroness Young of Hornsey!?), and that's what they came up with? Nice theme tune though.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 19, 2023, 08:48:01 PMI never watched Metal Mickey as a kid so I assumed it was American, like ALF. But wow, it's not. Colin Bostock-Smith, Mickey Dolenz, and Irene Handl, and that's what they came up with? Nice theme tune though.

Metal Mickey met its intended aims, had a decent run and shifted a fair bit of tie-in merchandise; overall, it was pretty successful show.

Dolenz was brought it to produce the series and directed a fair chunk, but he wasn't involved in the early stages of the project. He was doing a lot of work on the other side of the camera and one thing note was directing a short film The Box, which starred Michael
Palin and Terry Jones (the three of them wrote the script).

Another project in the same period was Luna, a children's series based in a dystopian future, which Dolenz created and a genuinely interesting show.

George White

The actual creator of Metal Mickey, Johnny Edward was the guy who wrote Save Your Love for Renee and Renato.

Glebe

Quote from: George White on May 19, 2023, 10:07:01 PMThe actual creator of Metal Mickey, Johnny Edward was the guy who wrote Save Your Love for Renee and Renato.

Bentpitch

Quote from: Ignatius_S on May 19, 2023, 09:19:04 PMAnother project in the same period was Luna, a children's series based in a dystopian future, which Dolenz created and a genuinely interesting show.

This was great, had Patsy Kensit and the caretaker guy from Take Hart, if I remember rightly. I remember a joke where they used the Cockney slang for "pissed", Bramhs and Liszt, and I was scandalised.
It occupies the same slightly dangerous (to a 9 year old child) TV area in my head as Marmalade Atkins and Dramarama.

ajsmith2

Quote from: George White on May 19, 2023, 10:07:01 PMThe actual creator of Metal Mickey, Johnny Edward was the guy who wrote Save Your Love for Renee and Renato.

Also the guitarist (under the proto punk stage name of Johnny Flux)  in one of Bowie's early 60s groups The Manish Boys:

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/the-man-who-helped-launch-bowie-and-created-metal-mickey-266699/