Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:05:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Day Shall Come was on RTÉ last night.

Started by Glebe, May 14, 2023, 04:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Switched on the telly last night and was rather surprised to discover that The Day Shall Come was showing on RTÉ2. I've still not seen it (I nearly went to a screening when it came out but went to something else then the bloody thing went and ended it's cinema run) and it had already started, fortunately it's available on the RTÉ player. Not sure it that's available outside Ireland, but there's the link if anyone's arsed. Doesn't specify how long it's available for, gonna give it a watch pretty pronto in any case.

Roxy Robinson

Still not seen this and not sure I ever will. I really wish Oor Crussy Boy still did telly :(

Mister Six

It's not a patch on Four Lions, but it's still definitely worth watching.

Thomas

Yes, do watch. I think it had great timing for a film progressively critical of the FBI. A lot of people were getting quite giddy for the FBI in recent years because of their various Trump investigations.

I can't wait for whatever Morris' next project is, but unfortunately he moves at the pace of an immortal. Does he think he has literally millions of years left? Make another thing mate! Quick!

Mister Six

Unfortunately it had terrible timing in every other respect, arriving just as Covid shut down cinemas, but before streaming exclusives had become common practice, so it just got tossed into the ocean of crap on streaming services without fanfare.

Before Christmas, I got talking to the bloke who plays Moses (friend of a friend of a friend) and he said everyone expected Europe to be where the film really took off and built up the critical mass that would get it a dedicated audience and online buzz. They had a full press tour sorted, in-person interviews set up, all that, and then - bam, Covid! It all dropped away overnight.

It had it's full cinema release in the UK though in October 2019. Plus the States.

Mister Six

Quote from: Mister Six on May 16, 2023, 06:26:28 PMhe said everyone expected Europe to be where the film really took off and built up the critical mass that would get it a dedicated audience and online buzz.

neveragain

Quote from: The Always Red Society on May 17, 2023, 12:39:38 PMIt had it's full cinema release in the UK though in October 2019. Plus the States.

Yeah, I certainly remember going to see it at the flicks (I had diarrhoea that day but somehow managed to keep it corked during the film) way before Covid descended.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on May 16, 2023, 06:26:28 PMUnfortunately it had terrible timing in every other respect, arriving just as Covid shut down cinemas, but before streaming exclusives had become common practice, so it just got tossed into the ocean of crap on streaming services without fanfare.

Before Christmas, I got talking to the bloke who plays Moses (friend of a friend of a friend) and he said everyone expected Europe to be where the film really took off and built up the critical mass that would get it a dedicated audience and online buzz. They had a full press tour sorted, in-person interviews set up, all that, and then - bam, Covid! It all dropped away overnight.

I'm a bit confused by this, the film was released in America on the 27th September 2019, and in the United Kingdom on 11 October 2019, so why would they have planned a massive PR campaign five months later?

Edit: Ah, just realised what you meant, and that the original European release was going to take place in March, but the pandemic delayed it until April, June and even in December in certain parts of Europe. Still seems a strange idea to release something which has flopped fairly badly in America and didn't even do that well over here, but I guess they thought it was worth giving the movie one last push.

imitationleather

I hate to say it but I think it didn't do well because it just plain isn't very good.

Mister Six

Yeah, it isn't very good, but having your most receptive market out of the picture can't have helped.

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 18, 2023, 11:48:02 AMseems a strange idea to release something which has flopped fairly badly in America and didn't even do that well over here, but I guess they thought it was worth giving the movie one last push.

Quote from: Mister Six on May 16, 2023, 06:26:28 PMhe said everyone expected Europe to be where the film really took off and built up the critical mass that would get it a dedicated audience and online buzz.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 18, 2023, 11:48:02 AMI'm a bit confused by this, the film was released in America on the 27th September 2019, and in the United Kingdom on 11 October 2019, so why would they have planned a massive PR campaign five months later?

Edit: Ah, just realised what you meant, and that the original European release was going to take place in March, but the pandemic delayed it until April, June and even in December in certain parts of Europe. Still seems a strange idea to release something which has flopped fairly badly in America and didn't even do that well over here, but I guess they thought it was worth giving the movie one last push.

Because of the nature of the film, I don't think anyone one was expecting it to do great business in the States but it did get some positive critical  attention there.

Going from memory, but I think the Berlin film festival is in March and that there are a few other Europeans film festivals around the same sort of time - so a PR push at the time Mister Six mentions would suit that very well.

Sometimes, particularly for smaller films, it's necessary to stagger film releases  for various reasons. If that's the strategy, that's likely to be kept to rather than seeing how the last release did before seeing what to do next. As the product is finished, it will make more sense flogging it in as many places as long as it's economical.

Four Lions had a very limited release in European, but did some not too shabby business, such as in Germany.

Glebe

So I watched it last night... it's a bit slight, but it was witty and engaging and the cast were likeable. That's my pithy review.

Was surprised to recognise Danielle Brooks from Peacemaker as Moses' wife Venus.

Mister Six

Aka Danielle Brooks from Orange is the New Black. Wish they'd given her more to do.

Glebe

Quote from: Mister Six on May 19, 2023, 07:48:50 PMAka Danielle Brooks from Orange is the New Black. Wish they'd given her more to do.

Ah right, I never actually watched that. She's very good in any case. Anna Kendrick is of course the film's big name... Kayvan Novak (Reza) was of course in Four Lions.

I recognise Denis O' Hare (Andy) from American Horror Story, then there's comedian Jim Gaffigan as Lemmy... apparently the kid at the start trying to score drugs is Tim Robbins son Miles.

Surprised they secured the rights to use a Prince song in this. Morris gets a co-writer credit for the score actually, which was great.

Mister Six

Novak is so great in everything. I really need to watch What We Do in the Shadows.

Glebe

Quote from: Mister Six on May 19, 2023, 09:35:39 PMNovak is so great in everything. I really need to watch What We Do in the Shadows.

That's another thing I've never watched. Would prefer to check out the movie first though. There's too many things!

Mister Six

The movie is great. We just got Hulu, so I reckon I'll give the show a crack soon.

Glebe

Quote from: Mister Six on May 19, 2023, 09:52:35 PMThe movie is great. We just got Hulu, so I reckon I'll give the show a crack soon.

No Hulu here but just a warning owners Disney are doing a purge of content on that and Disney+:

Disney Removes Dozens Of Series From Disney+ & Hulu, Including 'Big Shot', 'Willow', 'Y' & 'Dollface'.

I'm sure Disney+ UK & Ireland will be similarly affected.

Mister Six

Of course they are. Fuck.

Back to piracy I go, then!

Urinal Cake

It's not great. It's hypothetical but I don't think a normal European market release would've helped. I thought having Anna Kendrick would've done a bit in the USA.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Glebe on May 19, 2023, 10:59:43 PMNo Hulu here but just a warning owners Disney are doing a purge of content on that and Disney+:

Disney Removes Dozens Of Series From Disney+ & Hulu, Including 'Big Shot', 'Willow', 'Y' & 'Dollface'.

I'm sure Disney+ UK & Ireland will be similarly affected.

FWIW, Disney has now backtracked on one film going and have said that the list of what's going hasn't been 'finalised' but we shall see....

Glebe

Quote from: Ignatius_S on May 21, 2023, 04:05:36 PMFWIW, Disney has now backtracked on one film going and have said that the list of what's going hasn't been 'finalised' but we shall see....

It's absolutely astonishing that a big, expensive tentpole series like Willow is being pulled about six months after debuting. One writer on the show has vented publicly:

'Willow' Writer Lambasts Disney for "Absolutely Cruel" Removal of Series.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Glebe on May 21, 2023, 06:50:01 PMIt's absolutely astonishing that a big, expensive tentpole series like Willow is being pulled about six months after debuting. One writer on the show has vented publicly:

'Willow' Writer Lambasts Disney for "Absolutely Cruel" Removal of Series.

Yeah, it's quite staggering. I can understand future production being stopped but less so about pulling it from Disney+ and how much money that would save.

Glebe

Quote from: Ignatius_S on May 21, 2023, 07:24:04 PMYeah, it's quite staggering. I can understand future production being stopped but less so about pulling it from Disney+ and how much money that would save.

I wasn't that pushed watching that in particular, but I thought I might get around to it at some stage because I enjoyed the film as a lad. It's a funny sign of the times that something like this is actually disappearing off the platform in such a short time.

Principal Kohoutek

Thanks for the link Glebe, I had nearly forgotten this existed after the delays in production and then Covid and all.  I had low expectations but was pleasantly surprised.  It did feel oddly lightweight to me, but still has some witty lines here and there, and the cast are all very good.  Also the first time I've ever got a use out of bloody RTE player!

Glebe

Quote from: Principal Kohoutek on June 01, 2023, 10:14:09 PMThanks for the link Glebe, I had nearly forgotten this existed after the delays in production and then Covid and all.  I had low expectations but was pleasantly surprised.  It did feel oddly lightweight to me, but still has some witty lines here and there, and the cast are all very good.  Also the first time I've ever got a use out of bloody RTE player!

Nice one PK. Yeah it kind fizzles out a bit, but it has it's moments.

Glebe

Four Lions is coming to Netflix UK (and Ireland, presumably) on June 26 apparently.