Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:08:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast Threee John featuring 3ric Smallshaw of 3ccles

Started by George White, September 28, 2023, 04:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 05, 2024, 09:49:31 AMBloody hell, I wasn't suggesting that - never mind the former Chief Rock Critic of the fucking Times. Christ on a bike.

I only said it as the first thing that struck me about this new one was it had guests. And that sent a chill through me.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on March 05, 2024, 11:23:15 AMI only said it as the first thing that struck me about this new one was it had guests. And that sent a chill through me.

Right you are. There probably is someone out there with the qualifications to become a new regular, but that's a matter for them all, really. I couldn't begin to guess who that might be.

Actually - Does ChartMusic have no guests, or two guests from a roster of regulars? It's an interesting question... I'm relistening to Oh Dear A Bat Bit You at the moment, where it seems like Taylor is on all the way through and the others flit in and out...

Chicory

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 05, 2024, 11:49:16 AMActually - Does ChartMusic have no guests, or two guests from a roster of regulars? It's an interesting question... I'm relistening to Oh Dear A Bat Bit You at the moment, where it seems like Taylor is on all the way through and the others flit in and out...

That was a Christmas or NY special and not typical of standard episodes, which always have (had) two randomised or specially selected contributors out of five.

I think a new fifth - in the fullness of time - contributor would be most welcome.  You can't replace the irreplaceable of course but another very well chosen music writer would help continue the well balanced pentangle of pop crazed pithiness.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Natnar on March 04, 2024, 03:15:34 PMApparently there's a new podcast looking at the Heritage Chart Show that's started
https://twitter.com/sian_superman/status/1763578918445994300

Ok listened to the first one.  It's perhaps worth your time if you read this thread.  It's short.  Faltering and uncertain at times, and there's no chemistry yet.  To be expected.  The two leads sound like they're invested in it.  It is going to be extremely reliant on who the guest happens to be.

Hard to shift niggling concerns that it's Shakin Chart Music done by people who happen to have more clout and resources than our lot.  There was more insight into the Heritage Chart show in the preamble to whichever Chart Music it was than there is to be found in the first ep of this.  However I will keep an open mind and listen to the second one.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Chicory on March 05, 2024, 12:49:26 PMThat was a Christmas or NY special and not typical of standard episodes, which always have (had) two randomised or specially selected contributors out of five.

I am fully conversant with the normal run of ChartMusic, thanks anyway... I was just pondering whether The Two People On and Episode Who Aren't Al Needham fitted the role of 'guests', as per most other podcasts, or not.

gilbertharding

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 05, 2024, 03:28:12 PMHard to shift niggling concerns that it's Shakin Chart Music done by people who happen to have more clout and resources than our lot.  There was more insight into the Heritage Chart show in the preamble to whichever Chart Music it was than there is to be found in the first ep of this.  However I will keep an open mind and listen to the second one.

#66 De La Stoke, I think. An absolute stonker of an episode, also featuring Primal Scream, Inspiral Carpets, and Candy Flip

jamiefairlie

Quote from: gilbertharding on March 05, 2024, 04:20:30 PMI am fully conversant with the normal run of ChartMusic, thanks anyway... I was just pondering whether The Two People On and Episode Who Aren't Al Needham fitted the role of 'guests', as per most other podcasts, or not.

Less guests and more rotating regulars I'd say. Like how football managers rotate their squads.

phantom_power

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 05, 2024, 03:28:12 PMOk listened to the first one.  It's perhaps worth your time if you read this thread.  It's short.  Faltering and uncertain at times, and there's no chemistry yet.  To be expected.  The two leads sound like they're invested in it.  It is going to be extremely reliant on who the guest happens to be.

Hard to shift niggling concerns that it's Shakin Chart Music done by people who happen to have more clout and resources than our lot.  There was more insight into the Heritage Chart show in the preamble to whichever Chart Music it was than there is to be found in the first ep of this.  However I will keep an open mind and listen to the second one.

How snarky is it? I am quite interested in listening to it but not if it is just sneering at has-beens

As for new guest for CM, didn't Graham Linehan used to be a bit of a music critic? What's he up to these days?

shiftwork2

Quote from: phantom_power on March 06, 2024, 11:32:54 AMHow snarky is it? I am quite interested in listening to it but not if it is just sneering at has-beens

It's definitely not that so far.

I thought it was alright, not too snarky and they went out of their way to state that they are genuine fans of the show. Conversation was not quite as scintillating as your average CM episode, I think a lot is going to depend on who the guest is. Lawrence was a good choice, there's a man who is serious about pop music.

Quote from: prelektric on February 06, 2024, 06:56:36 PMOne thing I'd never really delved into, was the whole cult of Chris Needham.

Yes, I'd seen that documentary (that kickstarted this whole thing off in a way), but what I hadn't done, was get more into Chris' music.

We had a couple of things bled to us over time - the fantastically barnstorming "England" World Cup adjacent track that graced the "bonus" end of ep #27 (which I think is definitely the best World Cup related track ever made - it's furiously crap and brilliant at the same time, but undeniably thrilling, therefore perfect).

Then we have "The Predator Becomes The Prey", showcased at the "bonus" end of a later episode. Absolutely banging tune. The guy seems like a legend. And Al's had a sleepover with him. Needs a better producer though.
This has just made me remember a fleeting mention in a different episode of one of his other songs, simply called "Just Sex". I've not bothered seeking out any of Chris' post-In Bed With work but shorn of all context that is an impossibly compelling title (and I kind of want it to stay that way)

LordMorgan

Really enjoyed pricey on the giddy carousel of pop podcast

He was in his element flicking thru and talking about a 1979 copy of smash hits
A great listen

wrec

Yeah, it's a bit more sedate and less hilarious than CM but looking forward to listening to more episodes. As a mid-80s Smash Hits reader I was surprised how little there was in that '79 issue, and that the only interviews were SLF and Peel. Also the obsession with Mod.

George White

Today I was Trapped on a bus with a constantly nodding headphone clad Fred Dibnah/Roy Barraclough alike constantly droning/shouting the song he calls 'Words by RF David'. I couldn't help but burst into laughter, while also thinking of Fr. David.
He also did the same to Golden Brown by the Stranglers, while breaking in the middle to say to himself 'I like the Stranglers', Kyrie by Mr. Mister and Karma Chameleon by Culture Club.

shiftwork2

Thanks for that.  It's a bit of a hassle having to register for the download but it's worth it.  I can email it if anyone wants to PM me.

QUANTEL WIPE

Quote from: wrec on March 08, 2024, 10:33:34 PMYeah, it's a bit more sedate and less hilarious than CM but looking forward to listening to more episodes. As a mid-80s Smash Hits reader I was surprised how little there was in that '79 issue, and that the only interviews were SLF and Peel. Also the obsession with Mod.
Just getting round to listening to this - very enjoyable. More sedate, as you say, but the Mike Read/Tony Blackburn anecdote/impersonation did get a good old Chart Music-style belly laugh out of me. Great stuff.

George White

RIP Dangerfreaks star and Australia's greatest stuntman Grant Page, at 85. Astonishing he managed to reach that age.

justin_bennett

Finished the audiobook (35hrs!) of Simon Price's Curepedia last week, def worth a go even if you're only a bit of a fan.  I counted 3 wee nods to the PCYs in it, and I'm even weirdly referenced in it in the section 'M for Mogwai' which caused great alarm on the train home from work.

Four different narrators share the load (Ffion Aynsley, Nathaniel Priestley, Reanne Farley, Simon Price), but the other guy (Nathaniel) drops the Bowie/Bowie bomb regularly. Can't believe that Mr Price allowed that one to go out unchecked, after all his rants on the topic.  Maybe didn't have time to proof-listen what with the impending fatherhood and all that...

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Listening again to Taylor's appearance on The Cacophony Sessions podcast, in which he waxes lyrical about Neil Young's On the Beach.

https://podcasts.apple.com/no/podcast/bonus-the-young-one-featuring-taylor-parkes-of/id1519592168?i=1000554026151&l=nb

It's quite funny hearing him do his usual erudite, sarcastic, sincere, nerdy, dolefully hilarious thing while also trying to politely rein it in a bit in the company of (perfectly nice) people who aren't entirely on his wavelength.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 21, 2024, 08:08:43 PMIt's quite funny hearing him do his usual erudite, sarcastic, sincere, nerdy, dolefully hilarious thing while also trying to politely rein it in a bit in the company of (perfectly nice) people who aren't entirely on his wavelength.
Relistening to this and have just got to the bit where he mentions wanting to find Graham Nash and push his autobiography up his cock. Read the room, Taylor!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on March 21, 2024, 09:21:51 PMRelistening to this and have just got to the bit where he mentions wanting to find Graham Nash and push his autobiography up his cock. Read the room, Taylor!

Indeed. That bit made me laugh out loud, as it's met with utter silence.

Saw this briefly pop up on a news feed and of course immediately remembered "Oatly is killing it right now". Who would've thought it genuinely could be?

Senior Baiano

QuoteI was a vey firm oat milk girl for a solid five years

This sounds like it coild actually be the 'killing it' woman

I'd forgotten that Sarah was on the first ever episode (now nearly 8 years ago) and, now that I've relistened, I think she's very good indeed, even though it's a TOTP episode from before she was born.