Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:21:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best Male/Female Duos

Started by Lucky Jackson, March 14, 2008, 02:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky Jackson

I'm thinking

Nancy Sinatra Lee Hazlewood Some Velvet Morning
Jesus and the Mary Chain Mazzy Star Sometimes Always
Iggy Pop Deborah Harry Did You Evah?
Nick Cave Kylie Minogue Where The wild Roses Grow

Think I'm gonna make an Ex a mixtape, what would you fill up the rest with?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteJesus and the Mary Chain Mazzy Star Sometimes Always

Yeah, that worked pretty well. Makes most of the formers stuff sound crap because Hope Sandoval isn't singing on it, so I guess they 'won'!

Xander

I'm probably in the minority here, but I thought the Butterfly Boucher/David Bowie duet of Changes was absolutely fantastic. Racking my brains to think of anything other than Mel Smith and Kim Wilde though...

chocky909

Are we talking about seperate male and female artists coming together to create something new or existing musical partnerships, or both?

CaledonianGonzo

On a similar theme:

Lazy Line Painter Jane by Belle & Sebastian
Yankee Bayonet by The Decemberists & Laura Veirs
Henry Lee by Nick Cave & PJ Harvey
Love Hurts by Gram Parsons & Emmylou Harris (or any Emmylou Harris duet, e.g. with Neil Young, Bright Eyes, etc.)
Islands In The Stream by Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers
Jackson by Johnny & June Carter Cash
Portland, Oregon by Loretta Lynn & Jack White
Ramblin' Man by Isobell Campbell & Mark Lanegan
This Mess We're In by PJ Harvey & Thom Yorke
Je t'aime... moi non plus by Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg (or many other Gainsbourg collaborations)
What Have I Done to Deserve This? by Dusty Springfield & the Pet Shop Boys

(Umm...and maybe "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" by Elton John and Kiki Dee, if you're pushed)

CaledonianGonzo

LeboviciAB84

I declare this thread underway!

Serge Gainsbourg, La Ballade De Melody Nelson (featuring Jane Birkin)

According to Wikipedia, that's Alan Hawkshaw (of Channel 4 News, Countdown and Grange Hill fame) on piano.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteIslands In The Stream by Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers

can fuck off to death

Angst in my Pants

I was just about to quote and say how much I love that song!  I never really took much notice until it was used in the opening of Vivienne Vyle episode 6, though.

How about Taylor Caine's "Bombshell Cabaret"?  The lovely Motiv-8 remix, if you fancy a bit of a dance.

LeboviciAB84

Lucky Jackson

Ballboy and Laura Cantel - I Lost You (But I Found Country Music) Peel Session.

Ray Le Otter

It's got to be Dollar.

Come on... "Hand Held In Black & White", "Mirror Mirror", "Give Me Back My Heart"... and... err...

As you were.

Quote from: LeboviciAB84 on March 14, 2008, 03:59:14 PM
Serge Gainsbourg, La Ballade De Melody Nelson (featuring Jane Birkin)

In a similar vein, here's a video of Serge and his daughter, Charlotte doing Lemon Incest

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=LE06lqT0Y2g[/youtube]

Morrissey Gran

Billy Bragg & KT Tunstall were a charming pair. Ramshackle and jolly and occasionally jaw-dropping. Go to Youtube & tap in bragg+tunstall, as I don't have the energy. But do do it.

simondykes

Nancy And Lee doing 'Jackson' - has to be heard for Lee's growled 'I doubt it' in response to Nancy saying that they'll laugh at him in Jackson.
Tindersticks with Isabella Rossellini - 'A Marriage Made In Heaven' - one of my favourite records of all time,always cheers me up.
Sarah Cracknell and Tim Burgess on Saint Etiennes 'I Was Born On Christmas Day',though anything touched by La Cracknell is a winner in my book.
Pushing it,but 'Your Ghost' by Kristin Hersh featuring Michael Stipe;I guess it's more backing vocal than duet?

Mary Hinge

Quote from: Mary Hinge on March 14, 2008, 10:51:00 PM

Ooh, good call.  What a lovely cover too.  Do you like 'Pour down like silver' as well?

djtrees

Quote from: Mary Hinge on March 14, 2008, 10:51:00 PM

OOhh I'm not sure if I'm doing this right but WINRAR (or summat) beautiful. I was trying to think of something that I would put and that is a goodun. Maybe The Moldy Peaches as well.

Also Carey Vs O.D.B.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zocNOgJsrY&feature=related[/youtube]

Mary Hinge

Quote from: aaaaaaaaaargh! on March 14, 2008, 10:57:10 PM
Ooh, good call.  What a lovely cover too.  Do you like 'Pour down like silver' as well?

Absolutely. I think "I want to see the bright lights tonight" just shades it but that just might because I have built up so many personal associations with it over the years. They are both brilliant albums, in fact there isn't a Richard Thompson, with or without Linda, that I don't like.

Oddly for a couple just about to go all Islamic "I want to see the bright lights tonight" is the perfect album to drink to. Whatever mood for drinking you are in, there's a song to match it. Though again that just might be me. Hic.

Mindbear

Quote from: djtrees on March 14, 2008, 11:05:05 PM

Also Carey Vs O.D.B.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zocNOgJsrY&feature=related[/youtube]

I fucking love that song! Have done for years and haven't ever met anyone else that agrees with me. It's brilliance.

djtrees

Quote from: Mindbear on March 14, 2008, 11:38:54 PM
I fucking love that song! Have done for years and haven't ever met anyone else that agrees with me. It's brilliance.
Yep its truly awesome. I would post it in the Guilty Pleasures thread if I wasn't such an insufferably smug cunt who has no truck with the concept of Guilty Pleasures. I love Carey me. Even though she's quite obviously fucked up and a pop loon I find her exceptionally attractive. I also like the fact that she has brilliant pop tunes with hip-hop loons cos she's y'know black..ish.

Also this
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhg4J4UzMOk[/youtube]

Sorry no males just Carey.

Mindbear

Oooh, yes, maybe you can help me then. Mariah did a song with Busta Rhymes and the video had formula one race cars in it, but I can't remember what year it was or what it was called and I really want to hear it again! Do you know?

samadriel

Mike Patton & Jennifer Charles, on Lovage.  Pit Stop, Book of the Month, Strangers on a Train, the cover of Berlin's 'Sex', Stroker Ace... all gold.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Xander on March 14, 2008, 03:01:53 PM
I'm probably in the minority here, but I thought the Butterfly Boucher/David Bowie duet of Changes was absolutely fantastic. Racking my brains to think of anything other than Mel Smith and Kim Wilde though...

Huh... I always thought Kelly and Ozzy did Changes. ;)

As for me...
PJ Harvey & Josh Homme (Desert Sessions) - Crawl Home. This tune is dutty rock, I love most stuff Homme has done including Kyuss and QOTSA, but Desert Sessions was always a bit his and miss. Desert Sessions 9 & 10 was a great album though, and this particular track (one of the singles) helped me get into it.

Damien Rice & Lisa Hannigan - I Remember. Simply beautiful, so many different fleeting emotions, hopes dashed, chances taken, hearts fluttering... this song takes 'love' and 'love at first sight' to the brink of their understanding. A proper love song.

non capisco

Quote from: Mindbear on March 15, 2008, 12:07:17 AM
Oooh, yes, maybe you can help me then. Mariah did a song with Busta Rhymes and the video had formula one race cars in it, but I can't remember what year it was or what it was called and I really want to hear it again! Do you know?

I remember she did a song called 'Loverboy' with Ludacris that had race cars in the video. There was a different one with Busta Rhymes I don't remember the title of.

Good call whoever said 'Sometimes Always' by Jesus and Mary Chain. I've always loved that song, though the rest of the 'Stoned and Dethroned' LP it comes off of is rubbish.

My personal favourite is 'Love Lots Of Loving' by Lee Dorsey and Betty Harris, just a joyous soul record. You can probably go nuts with really good soul male/female duets. I bet there's loads of good ones you've never heard by people you've never heard of.

chand

Quote from: Mindbear on March 15, 2008, 12:07:17 AM

Hmm, not sure. There's 'I Know What You Want' by Busta feat. Mariah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk0TmajJyZI

...but no race cars. The only Carey video I can think of with race cars was the aforementioned 'Loverboy', which ain't got no Busta:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyU6vusV9NA

Not sure if this counts (well, I'll still probably get stick for this), but I still really like Space and Cerys Matthews, The Ballad of Tom Jones.

Mindbear

Quote from: chand on March 15, 2008, 11:43:05 AM
Hmm, not sure. There's 'I Know What You Want' by Busta feat. Mariah:

...but no race cars. The only Carey video I can think of with race cars was the aforementioned 'Loverboy', which ain't got no Busta:

Ah ha, yes, I got mixed up, it's the Ludacris one! I love that one with busta though, she kind of struck gold when she got to team up with the hip hop side of things.

Lucky Jackson

Pogues and Sinead O'Conner Haunted
maybe just for the line
'you were so cool you could have put out Vietnam'