Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:43:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Invaders Must Die!

Started by Artemis, February 15, 2009, 06:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mulder

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 24, 2009, 04:46:17 AM
...And the snare drum really is the same all the way, as are their song structures...

Have you ever analysed the structure of any DnB record?

They pretty much all go  -  Intro, maybe a little breakdown, drop into DnB for at least 64 bars in what seems to be a loop but the drums change every now and again, breakdown, do what you did before the breakdown and somehow stop.

Another Planet by Pendulum on the other hand goes, intro, drop for 32 bars, switch to a new theme for maybe 32 bars or shorter, back to the theme of the first drop, breakdown, back to the main theme again until finish.  That is a REMARKABLE structure in terms of Drum and Bass records.

Yeah yeah, horrible synth sound, same drums, yeah yeah....  No, I don't like that they've ditched most of the DnB sound in their records for whiney Emo crap either, but nobody else out there has done that with DnB, so fair fuckin play.

I think the new Prodigy album isn't too bad, a few bits make me feel a bit uncomfortable but I'm liking the return to hardcore style tracks, even if they've taken some obvious samples (Take Me Away, The Vamp).

mulder

Quote from: purlieu on February 24, 2009, 10:11:02 PM
these are post-Photek, post-Bukem, post-Peshay, Squarepusher, Guy Called Gerald days where it's laughable they're throwing this over-simplistic shit out

There has to be a balance.  You can harp on about Goldie, Bukem and Photek all you want, but if that's all DnB was, it would've died in 1997, eaten by it's own pretensions.

boki

First impression of this album: pretty good - not bowled over, but not disgusticated either.  Need to give it a proper listen away from the computer, though.  It's not as much of a departure from the sound of the last album that I was expecting, but that doesn't bother me too much.

I just listened to this - I've absolutely no idea why they even made it. Something to do? The production would have been shit hot about five years ago but sounds incredibly derivative and tame now. There's not even an ounce of danger to this. Also, for a pop group, I couldn't pick out a single hook in the whole album.

WOOOOOOOOO BIG BABY BOSTON!

alan nagsworth

Quote from: mulder on February 26, 2009, 01:59:09 AM
Have you ever analysed the structure of any DnB record?

I explained my reasoning for this statement in my second post. Come on grandad!

TotalMink

Marv Orange

I've only managed to listen to the album twice and have no real pull to listen to any of the tracks again. To me it feels like they took a step backwards by incorporating those trademark 90's rave sounds and effects the whole thing feels like a mish mash between experience and fat of the land.

wasp_f15ting

This album is an interesting one, but I have yet to dig into it. I think they greatest albums they did were Music for the jilted generation and Fat of the land. The former has some of my favourite tracks ever on it. The latter is one of my favourite albums of all time.

I think tracks like climbatize are so rare in music. I loved listening to that back in the day, and still do. It is just pure genius, feels like progressive rock melded with electro. Just wonderful. Beyond that Smack my bitch up was just a wonferful tension building song. I did not like a few of the vocal tracks on there. I think their non vocal stuff (bar start the dance [no good]) is far superior to their vocal. When I listen to FoL now, it just seems to have so many layers.
It has not aged, like a lot of this kind of music does (Appolo 440). I genuinely think that FoL is a work of genius.

How did this album, so gritty and dark appeal to everyone to get to number 1? Its wierd..

SavageHedgehog

Well I like it. I like it a lot infact.

mulder

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 28, 2009, 05:44:22 AM
I explained my reasoning for this statement in my second post. Come on grandad!

Yeah, I hadn't actually read your previous replies before replying to your post myself.  What I said still has a point though, that Pendulum have tried to make DnB records that don't get boring outside of the mix.

alan nagsworth

Well if that's their aim, in my opinion they have failed. I don't find it any more or any less interesting than tunes by the behemoths of DnB like Dillinja and Shy FX.

That reminds me: I must download Bambaata!

DanRev

Nothing really new or interesting, but thunder (despite the cringeworthy sample at the beginning) and warriors dance are pretty good tunes. The title track makes me want to kill my speakers though.

mulder

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 08, 2009, 04:25:21 AM
Well if that's their aim, in my opinion they have failed. I don't find it any more or any less interesting than tunes by the behemoths of DnB like Dillinja and Shy FX.

Well, they only went so far. It's really only that one tune, but at least they tried, which is more than can be said for the rest of the lazy bastards out there making DnB at the moment.