Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,795
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:57:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your early awkward fumblings with the Compact Disc

Started by Morrisfan82, February 17, 2009, 03:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the midnight watch baboon

purlieu

My parents bought their first CD player as a family present for Christmas 1994.  Until this point, my only experience with music was my Dad's classical stuff that occasionally went on in the car.  That Christmas, I received Woolworths vouchers and couldn't find anything to spend them on, so Dad bought them off me and spent them on two CDs: The Acadamy Of St. Martin In The Fields play Generic Classical Choices (Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Beethoven's 5th, Adagio for Strings...) and Another String of Hot Hits and More by The Shadows, which I became somewhat obsessed with over the space of a very short period of time.  I think I got my mum to buy me a couple of other Shadows CDs over the next year, and I also bought Mark Snow's 'The X Files' theme on cassette.
Then I remember seeing 'The Box' by Orbital on Top Of The Pops, and what with it being an instrumental, it reminded me a little of The Shadows so I bought the EP.  My friends thought I was weird at the time, which makes a lot of sense in hindsight... at the age of 11 I was listening to four untitled tracks which make up a soundtrack to an imaginary film, which included a minute of creaking noises, clocks ticking, and a strange baroque-breakbeat section.

Ginyard

Unbelievably, my first CD was Jerry Reed singing Eastbound and down, and all those smokey and the bandit country numbers. I still love that song. I still love that film.

Famous Mortimer

First experience with CDs was seeing them in Morrisons, probably late 80s or very early 90s, and thinking they were expensive and I was never going to be able to afford one (much less kit to play them on). The first CD I ever bought was the "Pass The Mic" EP by the Beastie Boys, which I still have today. It has the awesome "Netty's Girl" on it, one of the finest b-sides ever.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: Retinend on February 18, 2009, 05:42:56 PM
There are so many albums (not even particularly obscure ones) which have been either out print for years or have never even been issued (Irish Heartbeat, Lick My Decals Off Baby, Oops Wrong Planet etc etc etc). I don't think that they'll ever be rereleased on CD.......

http://www.discogs.com/Captain-Beefheart-The-Magic-Band-Lick-My-Decals-Off-Baby/release/1588793

It's a pretty hard CD to get hold of though.

EDIT: And to contribute to this thread, my first CD experience was probably around 1987, my dad was an early adopter, we were the first on our street etc.... I think Zappa's You Are What You Is and Jazz From Hell were the two first CDs he bought.

Desi Rascal

Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbdjx1MYPtc&fmt=18

It probabally involved a presenter showing how robust it was by smearing it with jam,putting it in a  toaster then playing it,

I first saw CDs on 'Tomorrow's World' too.  In fact, the CD they had was a copy of 'Living Eyes' by Bee Gees.  On the playing side, you could clearly see the track markers.