Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:21:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stereo Night - CaB Radio - Wednesday 18 February - 10pm

Started by Lfbarfe, February 17, 2009, 10:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lfbarfe

After the scheduled repeat of Chris Morris Radio 1 show number 2 at 9pm, I'll be delving back into the murky past of stereophonic recording, from the 1930s experiments to the 1960s novelty ping-pong easy listening stuff that used to be a charity shop mainstay. There will be archive interviews with some of the people who made stereo happen, a few 'Hello, I'm standing on the left, cooeee'-type demonstration discs along the way and lots of interesting music. I'll also be delving into why 60s pop records are usually much better in mono.

If you've never been along to CaB Radio before and any of this sounds vaguely interesting, do come and join us.

The Masked Unit

Capital idea! I've got one of those stereo test records in the loft somewhere which was a fucking goldmine for samples. Is my memory taking the absolute piss out of me for thinking that "Winter in July" by Bomb the Bass was the first track broadcast in stereo by radio one, because I have a didtinct memory of it being about 1990/91 and hearing it on the radio of an evening, and there being something special/significant about it.

Lfbarfe

Radio 1 was broadcasting in stereo in the 1970s, as it shared 88-91MHz VHF stereo with Radio 2. Radio 1 had its own VHF/FM stereo network by 1989, so not sure how Winter in July would have fitted in. Anyway, cheers for the enthusiasm and do come along.

Lfbarfe

sirhenry

Ambient Sheep

I'm sadly unable to make it tonight, will there be a download made available later on?

sirhenry

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 18, 2009, 08:38:18 PM
I'm sadly unable to make it tonight, will there be a download made available later on?
Only as a 2Gb .aif format download.