Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:57:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Spotify

Started by Johnny Yesno, February 19, 2009, 12:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Anyone else using Spotify? I think it's pretty good, especially for giving music a good listen before deciding whether to buy it. There's a lot of stuff that isn't up there yet but some encouraging stuff that is, for example The Cramps, The Residents, Can and Cabaret Voltaire.

What's really nice is the streaming technique they've used gives good quality without the usual buffering problems. It's free to sign up at the moment if you can tolerate advertising, including audio commercials which you can't skip.

Not sure what I think of having to give your date of birth and postcode at signup, however.

'Not available' in my country yet but my mate was raving about it. She has it on all day at work.

fanny splendid

fanny splendid already taken.

01-01-70 and ST1 1ST still acceptable, though!

I'm liking it too.   I'm finding their search engine difficult though, as it's lacking in a 'play me random things from this genre' function.  Unlike LastFM though, it's far easier to stream full albums at the push of a button.

...And if you tick the box in your settings, everything you listen to will scrobble to your LastFM profile too.  Once it grows and the library gets better, between Spotify and LastFM you'll have almost all the online streaming music you'll need.  Sweet.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

People have been raving about this, but I keep getting very annoying adverts (far more than anyone else seems to admit to) and can never think what I want to listen to.

I'm struggling in the 'what do I want to listen to?' department and have invariably ended up listening to a bunch of stuff I'd normally listen to on LastFM - although the big benefit here is I get to listen to albums in a far less random fashon. 

I've been listening for 4 hours now and have had eight adverts.  That's not so bad.

I will say this though: their library needs a tidy.  eg: all of Elvis Costello's albums are streaming as Elvis Costello & The Attractions, whether or not they're with The Attractions / solo / The Imposters / with Burt Bacharach / with Allen Toussaint.   Annoying.

DanRev

They seem to have taken a fair bit of music off it. No Frank Zappa on spotify anymore for example.

I love the search function, I fancied a bit of Dio era Sabbath and when I typed in Black Sabbath I also came across a wonderful selection of Sabbath tribute albums which included an insane version of Children of the Grave by White Zombie \m/

Tokyo Sexwhale

That's off "Nativity In Black" - quite a few decent covers on that - I particularly like Type O Negative's version of "Black Sabbath".

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: trotsky assortment on March 10, 2009, 01:04:52 PM
I'm struggling in the 'what do I want to listen to?' department

Me too. Still, that might not be a problem if DanRev is right.