Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:10:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Beatles Remasters [split topic]

Started by weirdbeard, April 07, 2009, 11:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paaaaul

Quote from: jutl on September 08, 2009, 01:04:27 PM
Yes, cynical copyright term extension never sounded so good.
I can't wait for 2013 when all the best 60s albums will start to come free with the Sunday Mirror.

Custard

Been wading through both versions of everything today, and for the non-album tracks, i'd personally go for these in mono

1. The Beatles - Hey Bulldog (3:14)
2. The Beatles - All Together Now (2:11)
3. The Beatles - Day Tripper (2:52)
4. The Beatles - From Me To You (1:57)
5. The Beatles - Hello Goodbye (3:30)
6. The Beatles - I Call Your Name (2:11)
7. The Beatles - I Want To Hold Your Hand (2:26)
8. The Beatles - I'll Get You (2:05)
9. The Beatles - I'm Down (2:37)
10. The Beatles - It's All Too Much (6:22)
11. The Beatles - Long Tall Sally (2:02)
12. The Beatles - Matchbox (1:58)
13. The Beatles - Only A Northern Song (3:25)
14. The Beatles - Paperback Writer (2:25)
15. The Beatles - Rain (3:01)
16. The Beatles - Revolution (3:24)
17. The Beatles - She's a Woman (3:03)
18. The Beatles - Slow Down (2:57)
19. The Beatles - Thank You Girl (2:03)
20. The Beatles - This Boy (2:16)
21. The Beatles - We Can Work It Out (2:15)
22. The Beatles - Yes It Is (2:42)

Lfbarfe

I've just listened to FLACs of some of the medley tracks from Abbey Road, and I'm afraid I can't hear this quantum leap of all-encompassing, enveloping excellence that people seem to be talking about. The new remaster is nice, certainly, but the 1987 CD still sounds good to me (it always was one of the best of the original bunch). I've just had the new master of The End and the 1987 CD version lined up in Adobe Audition, and I've been switching between the two. There is a difference, but it's subtle rather than startling. Maybe Golden Slumbers will show it up a bit more. Nope, the 1987 CD still sounds fine. Both versions cause the exact same intensity of spinal tingles on "Smiles awake you when you rise", which, even after nearly 30 years of familiarity with this album, is still quite a lot of spinal tingles. Are you sure you're not being blown away because you want to be?

Still, I suppose everybody wins. The fans get the new remasters, and the casually interested can now pick up the 1987 editions for pence.

Jemble Fred

Well, as a life-long cloth-ears, I agree. The question of sound quality is secondary to the sheer pleasure of everybody, all around the world, all being inspired to rediscover the work at the same time. For 40 years people who weren't on the ball at the very time they were released (getting towards 50 years ago for Please Please Me) have discovered The Beatles' albums in their own way, at their own speed. Some picked it all up as kids, some (like me) got their minds blown as teenagers, some people are only just realising what all the fuss is about now. In the late 60s, the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, people have been personally piecing together this amazing body of work, in any order, however they like. Which is how it should be.

But this just gives a whole different feel, for everyone to be getting the whole Complete Works in the best quality possible, all at once, on 09/09/09. It's just marvellous to see the whole Beatles body of work in a new light, as a shared experience rather than a personal thing.

I'd vote for anyone* who promised to make September 9th a National Beatles Holiday from now on.

*Anyone nice.

Lfbarfe

Quote from: Jemble Fred on September 08, 2009, 03:25:23 PM
I'd vote for anyone* who promised to make September 9th a National Beatles Holiday from now on.

I like the Beatles, but I'd be happy if they were never again mentioned in any context from this day forward.

El Unicornio, mang

Actually, regarding Abbey Road I think you're right. I must have been comparing a really bad rip earlier because I just downloaded a different rip of it and comparing them side by side in Acid Pro, and they appear to be barely any different. The main difference is the bass, which has been reduced a bit on the remaster, and is less distorted sounding, and the drums have been made more trebly. Although I should add that I only tried it with 'Here Comes the Sun'.

Oh well, probably a bit of a placebo effect going on.

Edit: And the guitar is now clearer. Abbey Road is probably not the best one to compare though as it was a decent CD master to start with.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Lfbarfe on September 08, 2009, 03:31:58 PM
I like the Beatles, but I'd be happy if they were never again mentioned in any context from this day forward.

I'd happily kill you. Peace and love.

Lfbarfe

What's your address, Jemble? I have some unwanted presents to send you, you big-nosed cunt.

PS You only said "Peace and love" once. It needs to be "Peace and love, peace and love, peace and love, no Barbara, that's not an unwanted present, it's a Thomas the Tank Engine royalty cheque. Gizzit, y'whore."

Jemble Fred

Big nose? Me? Hooray, nobody's ever called me that before, having always been attacked in the past for my unsuitably small nose. You've made my day, shitwhiskers.

ANYWAY, I think it's lovely, and you need visiting tonight by the Three Spirits of Beatles Past, Present and Yet To Come.

Lfbarfe

Quote from: Jemble Fred on September 08, 2009, 03:35:47 PM
Big nose? Me? Hooray, nobody's ever called me that before, having always been attacked in the past for my unsuitably small nose. You've made my day, shitwhiskers.

After sending it, I worried that you'd take it as a genuine insult rather than a jokey call-back to 'peace and love' and Ringo's stupendous gracelessness towards the poor schlubs who have kept him in the manner to which, etc. Hence the clarification I added while you were obviously sending your reply.

Jemble Fred

Aye, I finally got it, but I'd already come up with the (general) term of abuse 'shitwhiskers' by then, and didn't like to waste it. Sorry.

Lfbarfe

Quote from: Jemble Fred on September 08, 2009, 03:40:46 PM
Aye, I finally got it, but I'd already come up with the (general) term of abuse 'shitwhiskers' by then, and didn't like to waste it. Sorry.

Quite agree. I'd have done the same.

lipsink

Looks like the files on the site PaulTMA recommended have been blocked. Shite, nearly had them all.

Serge

It's possible that this may get me burned as a heretic, but having heard some of the mono stuff now, I actually prefer the stereo remasters. 'Tomorrow Never Knows' doesn't seem to have all the noises on it, 'Helter Skelter', although sounding fine and mental, doesn't have the fade back in, so no Ringo shouting about his blisters, and 'Strawberry Fields' definitely seems to sound better in stereo. Possibly it's because I'm used to listening to them in stereo. On the plus side, the 'Sgt Pepper' reprise has Paul going mad at the end, 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds' sounds more phased, and I never realised that 'Taxman' has cowbell on it!

Funnily enough, my dad says he can't hear any difference between the old CDs and the new versions either, but to me, the difference seems so vast, its ridiculous!

Paaaaul

Quote from: Serge on September 08, 2009, 05:23:42 PM
It's possible that this may get me burned as a heretic, but having heard some of the mono stuff now, I actually prefer the stereo remasters. 'Tomorrow Never Knows' doesn't seem to have all the noises on it, 'Helter Skelter', although sounding fine and mental, doesn't have the fade back in, so no Ringo shouting about his blisters, and 'Strawberry Fields' definitely seems to sound better in stereo. Possibly it's because I'm used to listening to them in stereo. On the plus side, the 'Sgt Pepper' reprise has Paul going mad at the end, 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds' sounds more phased, and I never realised that 'Taxman' has cowbell on it!

Funnily enough, my dad says he can't hear any difference between the old CDs and the new versions either, but to me, the difference seems so vast, its ridiculous!
You lose your ability to hear higher frequencies as you get older.
Those that can't hear the difference are old farts.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Serge on September 08, 2009, 05:23:42 PM'Helter Skelter', although sounding fine and mental, doesn't have the fade back in, so no Ringo shouting about his blisters

:O ?

Blimey, thanks for the warning.

El Unicornio, mang

Here's a list of differences between the mono and stereo versions of Sgt. Pepper and "The White Album" (taken from a Beatles forum)

Sgt. Peppers Mono / Stereo Differences

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The mono version has a more prominent guitar towards the end, which is barely audible on the stereo version.

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
The vocal has a noticable echo on the mono version, which is not there on the stereo version. This gives the mono version a dreamier quality.

She's Leaving Home
The stereo version is slower than the mono version which sounds much faster.

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
On the mono version the audience sounds begin more sharply, the drum intro is 4 drumbeats longer, and there are some words spoken by John and some audience laughter ALL of which are missing from the stereo mix.
Paul speaks at the end, but it can barely be heard on the stereo version, but ...
The transition from "Good Morning" is not as smooth on the mono release.

Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite
There are different sound effects in the instrumentals and endings in the mono version.

Fixing a Hole
The mono version lasts three seconds longer.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
The mono version is slightly slower.

When I'm Sixty-Four
The mono mix is slightly slower.

Good Morning Good Morning
The rooster crow at the beginning runs a little slower for the mono mix.

The White Album Mono / Stereo Differences

Back In The U.S.S.R.
The airplane overdubs occur in different places on the mono and stereo versions.

Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
The stereo version has hand-clapping during the intro, the mono version does not.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps
The stereo version has some vocal sounds from George at the end, the mono version does not.

Blackbird
The bird sound effects are quite different between the stereo and the mono release.

Piggies
The pig sound effects are quite different between the stereo and the mono release.

Don't Pass Me By
The mono version is much faster than the stereo, and therefore is shorter.
The violin sounds at the end are markedly different.

Why Don't We Do It In The Road
The stereo version has hand-clapping during the intro, the mono version does not.

I Will
The stereo version has more prominent bongos.

Birthday
The stereo version has extra vocals at the end of the second chorus.

Sexy Sadie
The stereo version has two taps on the tambourine during the intro, the mono version only has one.

Helter Skelter
The stereo version has a fade-out/fade-in dummy ending with Ringo's shout of "I've got blisters on my fingers", the mono version does not ! ... this makes the stereo version almost a minute longer.

Long, Long, Long
The stereo version is fine, but on the mono, George's double-tracked vocal is embarrassingly out of synch.

Honey Pie
The stereo version has a shorter guitar solo than the mono version.

Happiness is a Warm Gun
The bass is louder in the mono version.

Savoy Truffle
Apparently the mono version has a different guitar.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Serge on September 08, 2009, 05:23:42 PM
'Helter Skelter', although sounding fine and mental, doesn't have the fade back in, so no Ringo shouting about his blisters

I think it's always been like that on the mono version, which is the version I grew up with.  I remember being surprised the first time I heard the cassette.

Pre-submit edit.  From the site that Marty McFly linked to a couple of days back:

QuoteHELTER SKELTER
basic recording- 9 Sep 1968
additional recording- 9,10 Sep 1968
master tape- 8 track

* [a] mono 17 Sep 1968. edited.
      UK: Apple PMC 7068 white album 1968.
      US: Capitol SHAL12060 Rarities 1980.

* stereo 12 Oct 1968. edited.
      UK: Apple PCS 7068 white album 1968.
      US: Apple SWBO 101 white album 1968.
      CD: EMI CDP 7 46443 2 white album 1987.

The basic song runs about 3:10 to a pause shortly after Paul's distorted vocal, too close to the microphone. Mono [a] then is edited into more of the same take, with sound effects noises, and fades at 3:36. Stereo is edited instead to a different part of the take, fading out and then back in again, with another edit, ending finally at 4:29 after Ringo shouts "I've got blisters on my fingers!".

http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/beatles/var-1968.html

Surely it's John that shouts "I've got blisters on my fingers!" at the end of Helter Skelter?

Makes no sense for it to be Ringo.  They keep saying it's Ringo.  Make them stop saying it's Ringo.

El Unicornio, mang

It was definitely Ringo. He mentioned it on one of the docus that was on the other night, apparently it was because he was doing take after take hitting the drums as hard as he could.

weirdbeard

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 08, 2009, 07:52:45 AM
When Lennon said they were supposed to be listened to in mono he wasn't talking about these stereo remasters.

Well, really, he was.  He was talking about the mixes, which haven't changed, all that's changed is the clarity and a few edit tidy ups here and there.  Nothing radical.

The remixed stuff I've got on my Purple Chick bootlegs excites me.  These don't.

By the way, does anyone have the source to that Lennon quote.  I've heard it mentioned dozens of times, but never knew of the source.  Wonder if it's all an urban myth.

Lfbarfe

The wonderful thing about modern technology is that you can create your own masters from the remasters. The slightly brutal two-track of the first album is improved massively by narrowing the stereo field in Cool Edit (I assume you can do it in Audacity too). I've found that making the left channel 70% the original L signal and 30% R, with the right channel 30% L and 70% R brings everything into very pleasing focus, but with a distinct stereo sound field.

Quote from: Jemble Fred on September 08, 2009, 05:31:27 PM
:O ?

Blimey, thanks for the warning.

Are you saying you didn't know the mono version was without the fade/blisters bit?  Thought you claimed to be a fan.

Jemble Fred

Nah, you're right, I hate them. Almost as much as I hate the term 'fan'.

lipsink

I don't really like the big echo on Paul's voice in the new mono version of the "When I'm home..." but on 'Hard Day's Night'. Is it the same on the stereo bit?
It's great the way the backing vocals on 'Helter Skelter' are so clear. And I never knew that there was actual yawning on 'I'm Only Sleeping'!

El Unicornio, mang

And a few seconds before that, if you listen carefully, you can hear John say "Yawn, Paul"

Heh, I just listened to the remaster of 'Hey Jude' to check if John shouting "Fucking hell!" at 2:58 is much clearer now. It is!

Serge

I hear that 'Fucking hell' every time. It's so clear to me now that if they played it on the radio, I'd expect it to be bleeped.

When my mono version of 'Helter Skelter' cut out earlier than I was expecting, I said, "What the-" but then did vaguely remember reading in at least one Beatles book that the mono version did that. Which is a bit weird, isn't it?

It's definitely Ringo shouting about his blisters. It's Ringo's voice! It's Thomas The Tank Engine: The Unexpurgated Version.

lipsink

On the mono version of 'I am the Walrus' there's no drum bit after the "I'm crying" line. What's that about?

Lfbarfe

For the 1987 CDs, Rubber Soul and Help were remixed by George Martin, because he'd never been happy with the stereo versions, adding, rather controversially, digital reverb in places. The new remasters use Martin's 1987 mixes. The question is whether the remastering engineers went back to the analogue master tapes and recreated Martin's 1987 mix as closely as possible, or whether they just took the digital master of 1987 mixes and transferred those. I've A-Bed the old and new Rubber Soul, and suspect the latter very strongly. Given that the main point of these remasters was to capture the masters in a high-definition digital audio format (I think they went for 24-bit, 192KHz, dithering down to 16-bit 44.1KHz for the CDs - so, expect to shell out again in a few years for the BluRays or whatever) and make full use of improved analogue-digital conversion techniques, what's the bleeding point if your source material is plain old 16-bit 44.1KHz CD standard? If NoSleep didn't hate the Beatles so much, I'd expect him to weigh in at this point with sense and logic.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Lfbarfe on September 09, 2009, 12:09:17 PM
For the 1987 CDs, Rubber Soul and Help were remixed by George Martin, because he'd never been happy with the stereo versions, adding, rather controversially, digital reverb in places. The new remasters use Martin's 1987 mixes. The question is whether the remastering engineers went back to the analogue master tapes and recreated Martin's 1987 mix as closely as possible, or whether they just took the digital master of 1987 mixes and transferred those. I've A-Bed the old and new Rubber Soul, and suspect the latter very strongly. Given that the main point of these remasters was to capture the masters in a high-definition digital audio format (I think they went for 24-bit, 192KHz, dithering down to 16-bit 44.1KHz for the CDs - so, expect to shell out again in a few years for the BluRays or whatever) and make full use of improved analogue-digital conversion techniques, what's the bleeding point if your source material is plain old 16-bit 44.1KHz CD standard? If NoSleep didn't hate the Beatles so much, I'd expect him to weigh in at this point with sense and logic.

In case you didn't know - the original stereo mixes of them are in the Mono box.