Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:40:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Meal Replacements

Started by QDRPHNC, May 24, 2022, 06:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

Anyone got any recommendations? I have heard of:

• Huel (because of their Facebook ads)
  • Soylent (because it gave people explosive diarrhea)

But I haven't really paid attention to these things since the days of Slimfast (which, I was told by a simple woman a friend was dating at the time, turns into worms in your stomach and eats all your fat).

What I'm looking for is for some company to send a big box of this shit to my place so I don't have to go thinking about what I'm eating ever.

Any thoughts?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 24, 2022, 06:04:08 PMWhat I'm looking for is for some company to send a big box of this shit to my place so I don't have to go thinking about what I'm eating ever.

Any thoughts?

Grave

Lemming

When Covid was tearing its way through my house and we were too ill to really eat anything, my dad picked up some eye-wateringly expensive "meal replacements" off Amazon, called yfood. "Doctors can't help you," he proclaimed as his condition worsened by the hour, "the people who make these drinks do more for you than overpaid fucking doctor cunts". He subsequently spent just over two weeks in intensive care with pneumonia, his life narrowly saved by overpaid fucking doctor cunts, which meant I got to drink the rest of his yfood haul.

They were alright. Not anywhere near worth the ridiculous cost, and I was still hungry afterwards, but the coconut one tasted nice at least. Indistinguishable from just getting flavoured milk in the end, or those far cheaper "Nurishment" drinks you see in weird shops. I have been really interested in this shit for ages though because I hate food, I hate making it and eating it, and I would absolutely love to just drink a bottle of shit every day and not have to think about nutrition anymore. Wouldn't even care how it tastes, honestly.

Bernice

I use the one from the online, discount heavy, bodybuilder-bro supplement shop MyProtein. Have a couple of scoops for lunch most days and find it plugs the gap pretty effectively. I enjoy eating and I enjoy cooking, but I'm not really that fucked about doing either three times a day. I find it keeps me away from junk shite and saves me money.

PlanktonSideburns

The Soylent one was dreamed up by a lad who I wouldn't trust to make me a rustlers burger, let alone my whole diet

And all the other ones are made by people with the sort of paucity of imagination that led them to think Ripping of that bimbo was a solid business plan

Sebastian Cobb

I quite like how huel invented not having real food, then rolled back on that and invented what looks like a tracker bar.

PlanktonSideburns

Gotta ask yourself if a 20 year old software designer is your best advice on your diet

Dex Sawash

I like the chai soylent, it is almost good.

Some of the Loma Linda plant-based pouch "meals" are decent,chipotle bowl one esp. Dunno if they are in Canada. That's regular food though.

QDRPHNC

Thanks everyone, and to the naysayers - I'm trying to get gaunt.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 24, 2022, 06:31:42 PMThanks everyone, and to the naysayers - I'm trying to get gaunt.

Have you considered the 'billy diet'?

BeardFaceMan

I've used Huel a lot, it's very good. Only used the powder and ready drinks though, not tried any of the meals yet as the whole point of me using the drinks was that I didn't want proper food. The bars are fucking rank, though.

dissolute ocelot

I saw a Huel vending machine in an airport lately. Jetset lifestyle. Nobody paying it any attention.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having this sort of thing sometimes, it's more nutritious than a pie and a bag of crisps, or corn flakes. But eat at least one proper meal per day with vegetables to get your antioxidants and phytonutrients and stuff. You also need to chew proper stuff for good mouth health, and fuck knows what it does to your bowels.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 24, 2022, 06:33:47 PMHave you considered the 'billy diet'?

Is that the Billy's Diet I just googled?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 24, 2022, 06:34:52 PMIs that the Billy's Diet I just googled?
Dunno, was the result something like this?

QDRPHNC

No this one had nice nachos, milkshakes, etc.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 24, 2022, 06:34:35 PMI saw a Huel vending machine in an airport lately. Jetset lifestyle. Nobody paying it any attention.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having this sort of thing sometimes, it's more nutritious than a pie and a bag of crisps, or corn flakes. But eat at least one proper meal per day with vegetables to get your antioxidants and phytonutrients and stuff. You also need to chew proper stuff for good mouth health, and fuck knows what it does to your bowels.

Its fine on your bowels, I used to drink 2 drinks and eat one proper meal a day, there's enough fibre in Huel that you still shit properly, I didn't have any problems with it.

JaDanketies

Not totally relevant, but almost every morning I put some frozen or fresh fruit, oats, plant milk, water and porridge oats into a smoothie maker and then drink it. They even sell frozen smoothie mixes in the shops. And it's presumably almost as good as eating the equivalent amount of fruit, in terms of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants etc.

Used to drink those Nourishment tinned drinks they sell in garages etc, primarily when I was hungover. They were tasty, and a bit like drinking cement, and probably about as good for you as coca cola.

I don't think liquid ever fills you up like solids though.

Sebastian Cobb

I heard somewhere that blending fruit releases way more sugar compared to eating it and that's bad somehow. Could be bollocks though.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 24, 2022, 06:31:42 PMThanks everyone, and to the naysayers - I'm trying to get gaunt.

I'm not a naysayer. Lettuce is a food. Porridge, water, fruit, veg, skinless chicken breast. Those pills and powders are a con.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 24, 2022, 06:44:09 PMI heard somewhere that blending fruit releases way more sugar compared to eating it and that's bad somehow. Could be bollocks though.

True, it breaks down the fibre, allowing more of the sugar to be absorbed

JaDanketies

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 24, 2022, 06:44:09 PMI heard somewhere that blending fruit releases way more sugar compared to eating it and that's bad somehow. Could be bollocks though.

Weightwatchers or something says a mashed banana is a 'sin' and a regular banana is fine. But I'm not overly concerned about my sugar consumption, if the worst I have is some fruit.

You don't need to use sweet fruits though. Tofu works very well in any smoothie. 

A lot of my interest in fruits is their potassium, which is apparently good for blood pressure, so it's an easy way to eat bananas, mangos, etc, but there are smoothie mixes with shit like kale in too.

Chollis

JesusAndYourBush

QDRPHNC

Norton Canes

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 24, 2022, 06:41:30 PMNot totally relevant, but almost every morning I put some frozen or fresh fruit, oats, plant milk, water and porridge oats into a smoothie maker and then drink it

Good stuff. I have overnight oats (I bet you do etc.) - oats, milk and berries in the fridge overnight, add honey to serve 

Sebastian Cobb

I have wondered how much mark-up is in Huel given by their own admission it's mostly oats, rice and pea powder, sounds like the sort of thing you could probably get in separate bags from a wholesaler for a fraction of the price.

Piss taking aside I did consider having a bag around for the odd time I end up spending all day in bed hungover and realise I've got no food and don't want to do anything or even eat something from a takeaway that requires any dexterity whatsoever.

imitationleather

This thread will 100% devolve into people bragging about how they cook proper food three times per day and it's easy as piss while working 12 hours and racking up hundreds of posts on here, but until then I also would be interested in some of this stuff that's palatable.

When I went to Bang Face Weekender I took some https://bolfoods.com/collections/power-shakes to make sure I actually had some calories during the four days, and they were pretty nice. A lot better than the blueberry Huel ready to drink thing I also tried, which tasted a bit unpleasantly synthetic. Are the other flavours of Huel or the powders any better on that front?

Norton Canes

Isn't there a difference between 'food replacement' stuff and diet drinks, though? Aren't Huel and all that supposed to provide all the vitamins etc. for a day's portion of healthy food, while the diet drinks just fill you up? 'Cause TBH there are some days when I don't have the inclination to think about what I want to eat, let alone to actually make it (yeah I know First World problems eh) and would welcome a big old carton of insect mush.

Replies From View