Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:38:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Positive LFT, asymptomatic question

Started by Helvetica Scenario, December 21, 2022, 10:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helvetica Scenario

I've tested positive for COVID for the first time and I'm just wondering what sort of timings people have had with regards to symptom onset.

A colleague sent a message on Saturday morning that they had tested positive during the night so I immediately took a test which was negative. I had a vaccination booked that morning so I went ahead and had that as planned. Tested again that evening, still negative.

I tested positive on Sunday morning with the faintest of faint lines (I had to take a photo and adjust the contrast to see it) which then became a very strong line that evening.

It's now Wednesday and other than a bit of a raised temperature on Sunday which may or may not have been due to the vaccine, I haven't really had any symptoms. Certainly nothing that would have made me suspect I had COVID if I hadn't tested positive.

My wife's on immunosuppressants so I've been isolating in the bedroom since Sunday. She and the rest of the family are still all testing negative so at least that seems to be working.

What I'm wondering is whether it's likely I'll develop symptoms three or more days after the first positive test? Has anyone here tested positive asymptomatically then developed symptoms several days later?

Basically, am I going to be left pulling my own cracker at Christmas?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I was asymptomatic for the week or so that I tested positive. I don't know if it was related but I subsequently got some mild symptoms (headache, cough, sore, throat) a few days after testing negative which lasted under a week.

Helvetica Scenario

Thanks for that, Claude. Hopefully any symptoms developing after negative tests are just recovery related and not anything for anyone else to worry about. I'm really trying not to pass it on to my wife. I have had a couple of mild hints of headaches but I've put that down to having had a mask on most of the time.

Zetetic

Helvetica Scenario

I did last night, still positive. I was going to test again this evening.

Mister Six

How did this turn out? Hope all is well. The first time I got Covid, a doctor told me not to "test out", as you can still have inactive virus particles knocking around your tubes for ages that trigger positive results despite you no longer being infectious.

The guidelines in the US are to isolate for five days after symptoms are first detected, although with immunocompromised relatives I can understand wanting to stretch that out a bit longer.

Probably useless info for you now, but I'll leave it here for others, or (god forbid) in case you get infected again.

Helvetica Scenario

Thanks, Mister Six. I remained asymptomatic in the end but still isolated for the full ten days to protect my wife, following the NHS guidance. Bit of a weird Christmas, all told! It was frustrating missing out on being with the family over Christmas, especially as I didn't have symptoms, but I didn't pass it on to anyone so it was very much worthwhile.