Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:39:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Adam & Joe Show DVD

Started by DuncanC, March 09, 2004, 02:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty McFly

getting back to the topic of capturing/encoding the original series - i could do the capturing, and burning to DVD (in mpeg-2 - proper DVD format) to be passed around here to anybody who is interested.

i don't have broadband so can't do any sharing of the files, but anybody who gets a copy of the DVDs can feel free to encode them to divx or whatever and share them.

send me a PM if you have master recordings (ie, taped directly off the air) of any episodes. preferably in nicam and SP, but beggars can't be choosers..

-Mark

Papercut

Quote from: "butnut"
Quote from: "Ben Ordinary"As Im such a lovely type of feller, here, for a few days only, is the Easter Egg ripped for those unable to access it:

http://www.taxiforbaker.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/AdamandJoeEasterEgg.mp3

Enjoy.

Hehe! Thanks - any clue as to how to get it?
enter 13 on the first extras menu.

Ben Ordinary

Tut. 68 downloads in 24 hours and not a single thank you!

Well, okay...one. But...um...Kids today! They dont know they're born! Back in my day...etc etc...ends.

VorpalSword

thanx for that BO, just listened to it, good stuff!

weekender

I haven't downloaded it, but thanks anyway.

This sentiment has been stolen from lazyhour.

Purple Tentacle

Sorry to be so bloody late, but wow, isn't it a great DVD?

There you go Peking O, THAT'S why extras are important! You can feel the love pouring out of the screen.

The commentary on the commentary menu is brilliant. And that documentary is truly wonderful, it takes a lot of guts to show your early and shite stuff to your friends, never mind releasing it on a DVD!  I quite liked the look of Joe's student film about Macbeth though.

Shame that there was no Louise stuff except on the menus though. And I'm really glad they kept in the spacedust/coke experiment too, I've always wanted to try that myself.

Oooh, and I really loved the outtake shop-smashing scene as well, where they become very public-school and apologetic, "please don't call the police".... I'd love to see Morris do the same, I find it hard to believe he stays in character all the way through his stunts.

"Give it a whizz and mugs there is" will keep me warm for the rest of the year, I missed Series 4 first time round, I have no idea what I was thinking.

Is it me or does the 1980's house seem like something Channel 4 WOULD do these days?

mwude

1980s house - "I feel powerful!"

One brief clip on one of the menus maybe (?) had black & white footage of them twatting about in a supermarket with shopping trolleys.  It's a real shame the whole thing isn't on there as I recall finding it hilarious at the time, particularly the "don't push the tolley at excessive speed" advice when one of them rammed the other really hard with a trolley.

And is goitre available for download anywhere?  It's quite a while since I've seen it but again my memories are of it being very entertaining.  An effective & affectionate parody is so much nicer to watch than a downright slagging.

I'd forgotten that they did some hosting of Takover TV.  And there wasn't much mention of their Star Wars stuff on Takeover TV either, I'm sure that was how they first came to be noticed wasn't it?  It's a shame there isn't a show like that nowadays.  You had to wade through plenty of shite, but it was worth it for the occasional gems.  Surely with the number of digital cameras & computer editing tools out there now the quality would be drastically improved compared to what it was like back then?

And interesting to see one of them getting pissed and upset whilst browsing negative comments on a website.  I say "one of them" because despite the fact they wear T-shirts with their names on I still can never remember which one is which.

chand

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Oooh, and I really loved the outtake shop-smashing scene as well, where they become very public-school and apologetic, "please don't call the police"....

It's great for the bit where, beforehand, Joe is feeling really guilty about what he's about to do, even though it's gonna get paid for. But yeah, it's interesting to see failed scenes with the public, where the public is either too cool or too angry about it.

There's another weird bit where Adam thinks Joe is mocking him for his size as well, that whole documentary is great.

notnotnatnats

Oooh, ooh! Must get this DVD, have been nostalgic for the show for a while now. Their forum was the first one I ever joined online and it was fun. And yes, people did feel bad for critisising them, as they often participated in chats and were generally lovely.

Does it have the supermarket bit where they're eating the extra free bits and stealing go cat?

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "notnotnatnats"Does it have the supermarket bit where they're eating the extra free bits and stealing go cat?

Aye.

I do think that a 'Volume 2' DVD is not beyond the boundaries of possibility. There's so much left off this release, and not just for copywrite reasons.

Alberon

Normally, I have nothing but contempt for 'best of' collections and I doubt I'm alone in that here, but this does sound really good. I'll have to pick up a copy. Hope it does well enough for a second volume to be made.

What are Adam and Joe up to these days beyond their XFM radio show?

Peking O

There's an interview with them in Heat magazine this week (or maybe it's last week). They're talking about how The Mighty Boosh is their favourite show on the telly, which I haven't seen, but I don't think it went down very well on here.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Peking O"There's an interview with them in Heat magazine this week (or maybe it's last week). They're talking about how The Mighty Boosh is their favourite show on the telly, which I haven't seen, but I don't think it went down very well on here.

Not them too? Simon Pegg's also a big fan, and Edgar Wright mentions them on the SotD commentary... I just don't get it. I started off eager for TMB to be funny, but the two episodes of their show I saw seriously depressed me, being the most mirthless, empty half hours of comedy I had ever seen, without exception. I've since been thoroughly mawled on NotBBC for pointing this out, and for pointing out the FACT that every Boosh fan who's tried to explain what made them laugh has failed to convince me. They've quoted chunks of the show which are just piss-poor, and a lot of them simply say 'they're light-hearted and silly, I like them'.

So I just don't know. When comics I hold in as high regard as I do Pegg, Wright, Buxton and Cornish sing their praises, there has to be an answer. Perhaps the episodes I missed were comedy gold? Perhaps these famous fans are friends with Barrett & Fielding (who are apparently charming motherfuckers) and their personal like for them clouds their judgement? Was their radio show any better than the BBC3 thing? I can't accept that this is just a case of 'you either like them or you don't', simply because their TV show, to me, really was so so bad.

As you can see anyway, it worries me.

Alberon

Maybe the Boosh were better on radio or on stage. I've watched a couple of episodes on telly and it's the sort of thing I normally quite like, but this is leaden and lifeless and just plain not funny.

Peking O

One of the things which should apease Verbwhores is that A&J mention they're not into any of the 'dark' comedy that's around at the moment. I'll nick the mag of Mrs. O tonight and type up the interview here tomorrow (bear in mind it's Heat, so it's fairly brief).

Darrell

Quote from: "mwude"And is goitre available for download anywhere?  It's quite a while since I've seen it but again my memories are of it being very entertaining.  An effective & affectionate parody is so much nicer to watch than a downright slagging.

It's on the Jam DVD. As far as I know it's not an affectionate parody at all - they really didn't like Jam at all. They used the Urban Chaos Collective strand to have a go at The 11 O'Clock Show as well - that *is* on the DVD.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Are  the Urban Chaos Collective Mark Thomas and Trigger Happy TV parodies on there too?

Consignia

Actually, why was Goitre on the Jam DVD? As Darrell says, it was not particularly affectionate.

DuncanC

I suppose CM must just find it quite funny.

Actually, you could see it (and other Chaos Collective stuff) as a parody of wannabes poorly ripping stuff off, rather than an actual parody of the subjects.

Darrell

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"Are  the Urban Chaos Collective Mark Thomas and Trigger Happy TV parodies on there too?

Sadly, no. Only the 11OCS one is on there.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Why was so much left off?

DuncanC

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"Why was so much left off?
What do you mean? It's not meant to be complete, it's a best-of.

Darrell

Over a third of all the transmitted stuff is there, which is pretty good going for an all-spanning best of.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Do you think this'll lead to a proper series-by-series release?

Darrell

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"Do you think this'll lead to a proper series-by-series release?

No, for several reasons (the biggest being clearance).

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Darrell"
Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"Do you think this'll lead to a proper series-by-series release?

No, for several reasons (the biggest being clearance).

They do mention clearance on the sleeve notes.

Secondly I think they find the weaker points of the series a tad embarrassing.

Thirdly pretty much everything I remember affectionately (apart from the Star Wars Big Brother) is on there already.... a series by series release would seem a bit superfluous. And Fourmative Years is readily available on those internets.

DuncanC

Yeah, I think this is all we're going to get commercially. Still, hopefully, someone will do & share high-quality encodes of all the episodes.

Glyn

its probably quite old now, but theres a rather nice adam and joe interview at http://www.themightyboosh.inuk.com/adamandjoe.html
incidentally does anybody else get the feeling adams taking the piss royally on the 'it might just be the best disposable razor you ever threw away!' advert ?

Peking O

As promised, this is from Heat:

Adam Buxton:

Favourite TV Show - Well, it finished it's run on BBC3 a few weeks ago, but I was digging The Mighty Boosh

TV Pin Up - I suppose The Mighty Boosh's Noel Fielding

TV Snack - My favourite at the moment is pasta with Lloyd Grossman's bolognese sauce in front of '24' every Thursday, but that's also just finished.

What makes you switch off? - Monkey Dust on BBC3 , or anything else that sets out to be "dark". I wouldn't mind so much if these shows were made by teenagers, but I think you'll find it's mainly grown-up middle-class men. Sort your problems out in private, you lunatics

That's it really. Joe Cornish's answers aren't really worth typing out, as they're all sarcastic, and I'm supposed to be working :-)

Jemble Fred

Well in that case I don't care how much they have entertained me they're a pair of clueless pampered public school cunts and I hope they never appear on television again.

;)