Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:07:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The World Cup

Started by Utter Shit, May 15, 2006, 08:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I predict I'll be watching the World Cup via ESPN Asia...

I will be the saddest.

TOCMFIC

I dunno... If they have commentary in their native language, that'd be pretty cool. I mean in video games, I quite like leaving the Winning Eleven commentary on a different language. You notice the repetition far less.

I spent 2005 following F1 on a French station here, and I have to say it was, for the most part, a much more enjoyable experience than the ITV twats we get on Canadian TV. You can still catch names, but none of the tedious nonsense in between.

I wonder if football has ever been shown without commentary?

Do you folks think football even NEEDS commentary?

Bilko

Motson has at least got rid of the fake laugh he used to affect about 25 times a game.  What irritates about Motson, is his inept slowness to catch on what is happening in the game.  

Quote from: "Mr. Analytical"Lawrenson seems to be under the misguided apprehension that he's some kind of comedian.
Tyldesly is the king of that,  he is just a bad commentator.  When he gets excited he starts speaking from the back of his throat and sounding like Kermit the Frog.

Quote from: "Wheatgod"Commentators. Am I right that its reasonably recent that commentators have become quite partisan in England's favour?
And towards English teams in Euro, ala Gray / Tyler last night.  Andy Gray like Motson stopped being a good commentator about 5 years ago, just before he started disappearing up his own arse, and thinking what he says goes.

The Duck Man

Quote from: "humanleech"Probable Rooney decision on 25th May. I don't think he will go, in which case, who should go instead - Jermain Defoe or  Andy Johnson?
Pfffffffft. Defoe, obviously. Johnson's nothing special.

Re: Lawrenson. I sort of like him, he's better than most pundits. But then again, when Watford played Liverpool in the League Cup he said on FiveLive, having talked a lot about Liverpool, "I don't really know much about Watford." It's your fucking job son. Which makes me think he's a bit of a tool.

Lawrenson clearly fancies himself as a 'love him or hate him' figure, which makes me plant him firmly in the middle of 'ignore this man's opinion' in my brain. That'll teach the adorable cunt!

Mr. Analytical

French TV is hideously nationalistic.

I remember watching a game between Basle and a french team and the French were suggesting that Basle were essentially part-timers and amateurs who didn't have anywhere near the level of quality in their side to trouble a great French team.  French team then promptly lost and the commetators went on about how it was self-inflicted.

Hopefully after the death-threats that were directed at the ref during the European Championship, the commentators will realise that they're in a position of some responsibility and that they should use it accordingly.  Even Hansen went on about how it was the worst refereeing decision he'd ever seen.

TheWizard

Lawrenson wouldn't pick Nicky Southall's incredible goal for Gillingham against Sheff Wed. in the FA Cup because of his Preston connections and the rivalry they had at the time with Gillingham. Tit.

the midnight watch baboon

Hmm I think Sky has the best commentators; Tyldesly is a smug lil poindexter and Motson, as Peter Hammill correctly points out, is too slow in cottoning on to the action.

I do wonder why we're taking 9 midfielders, given SGE'sinability to sub Beckham, and the quality of Gerrard, Cole and Lampard.

Defoe's not had the best of seasons, but still outscored Crouch in the Prem.

TheWizard

I must say that the videos on the BBC (as mentioned on the first few pages but here's the link again) are very enjoyable. Despite the hundreds of times I've seen Hurst's third goal, to watch the highlights of the tournament and hear Wostenholme's line at the end gave me shivers (and I'm usually the kind that complains about people going on about '66) I was also impressed by how well Alan Ball played.

Not only that it's been interesting to see not just Pak Do Ik's goal at Ayresome Park but the highlights of Portugal vs. N.Korea Q/Final and Eusebio's four goals and Emmerich's brilliant goal against Spain. The '70 videos don't have a narration so you just get higlights of England's games against Brazil and W.Germany as well as 16 mins on the epic Italy vs. W. Germany semi-final.

Good stuff.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteJavier Mascherano

This guy is class. If he was English he'd be ahead of Carrick in the pecking order that's for sure. A top player.

QuoteLionel Scaloni (West Ham, Inglaterra),

Here's one guy who we do know about. Him versus Joe Cole? Cheers Argentina. Presumably he's a back-up player. Or back-up to the back-up player. Or mascot.

weekender

Quote from: "rjd2"Um looking at the squads I have to say I am very impressed with the Argentinean squad.

Spot on.  Apparently some bookies are still giving odds of 11-1 for Argentina to win the World Cup.  That's a ridiculous price, their squad is easily capable of winning it.  I'd argue that a lot depends on Mascherano - whilst Cambiasso and Riquelme are good players, they're nowhere as dominant in the midfield.  There's a few older players in the squad which will only help them as well - I think I'm right in saying that it'll be the last World Cup for Ayala and Aimar who have both been excellent players for Argentina.  I think a lot of their younger players have been responsible for winning the under-19 and under-23 World Cups in the years building up to 2006 as well.

Is it possible for England to play Argentina in the latter rounds?  I don't have a wallchart yet.  That would be a hell of a game to call, I couldn't predict that one way or the other.  The same goes for a lot of the latter stages, I don't think they can be easily 'called'.

Friend of mine at work thinks Germany stand a good chance because they're at home.  There's also several other countries I'd never write off.

It should be a great World Cup.

bill hicks

Holland or Argentina in the Quarters for England depening on who finishes top.

Unless some 2002 type shenanigans develop obviously.

I'd say Holland could do well if they just have an entire team of whites or blacks, but the mix is never going to work.

The Argies look promising again actually, I never really fancied the Veron/Zanetti/Simeone era to do much because they were basically Italy pt. 2.

I think we could take them though, they've got some fabulous players, but ones who've taken a long time to find a niche where they can perform at their best. They seem to have various players who play very well for their clubs when things are based around them but I wonder whether they've enough coherence to work well as a team.

Just words...

Part Chimp

Quote from: "The Boston Crab"I'd say Holland could do well if they just have an entire team of whites or blacks, but the mix is never going to work.

Yes, they should let Holland enter two teams really shouldn't they? Bloody FIFA.

Borboski

IM THO EXTHITEDDD!!

The Duck Man

Quote from: "The Boston Crab"I'd say Holland could do well if they just have an entire team of whites or blacks, but the mix is never going to work.
EH?!

rjd2

Weekender while Germany will have a huge advantage in the fact they will have a huge support their team looks pretty poor especially at the back. Their midfield looks very useful especially Sweinsteiger{ yes I know its crap spelling} and Ballack has proven that he can single hand idly win a game by itself any team that has Robert Huth as a defensive lynch pin will struggle.
What about Spain? The media including their own has totally written them off and they have a handy group even they should not fuck it up and if I remember correctly they have a decent run till at least the quarters.
Should be interesting also to see how Italy and especially Buffon do this summer as well, their group is very difficult and if they only get second odds on they will meet Brazil.  Also who do many think will be top scorer? I fancy Ronaldo to be the man there is a danger that Adriano may be sacrificed for a defensive midfielder if the manager thinks the team is giving too much space away, and I would not be comfortable puting much cash on any Italian, Spanish and even Argentinean and Dutch strikers looking at their groups. Owen would have being a good bet but its still up in the air if he will start the group games. Sheva may also be a good bet as the Ukraine are very stroing at the back and will rely on him to shoot them to the quarters or even further and judging the wall chart that's not impossible.

Quote from: "The Duck Man"
EH?!

'Racial harmony' isn't in the Dutch dictionary, even in their own language.

'Raidjal harmoneeie' for example.

Utter Shit

It's true, Holland squads are always packed with players that hate each other. Think I said it earlier in this thread - they're a total joke of a side, every World Cup they have a squad capable of winning the tournament, but they always fuck it up. Same with Spain.

Bizarre sandwich double post.

TheWizard

I was considering backing Shevchenko to be top scorer as you can get quite long odds for that. Problem is we're not sure if he'll be fit enough to start all the games.

Brazil are clearly the favourites on paper but they have areas for concern. I wouldn't back Ronaldo to be top scorer this time as I think the goals will be shared around. They don't have much of a strong defence, Cafu and R. Carlos are well past their peak. I can see a team with a solid defence stifling them if they get men behind the ball. Interestingly their first game is against Croatia who have one of the meanest defences in Europe. Can't see them winning that game though, a draw is a distinct possibility there. It's also not inconcieable that Australia might nick a point from them instead/as well. I'm not completely convinced they will win the group, all it would take is the forwards to have a couple of off days and they could finish 2nd.

Argentina's midfield is probably the best in the world, their problem is an over-dependence on Riquleme who they will need to play well every game if they are to get to the semis, else they will have to hope that Mesi will shine. I don't think they have a very  settled starting XI and I'm not a big fan of Abbondanzieri in goal. They have one of the hardest groups though and they will be hoping that they can get to the Holland game without tripping up on the potential bannana skin of the Ivory Coast (who i'd back for the quarters if they manage to get out of this group, very solid looking spine in their side) and another eastern European team who are very tight at the back, Serbia & Mont. (who probably would have got through to the last 16 if they were in any of the other groups.)

Holland, if they all get on and play well, could win the whole tournament. They won't though something will happen. It's hard to see where the goals will come from if van Nistelrooy doesn't perform. Despite some inexperience in defence they do have Van Der Saar in top form at the back.

Germany will have to hope that Englad don't slip up against Sweden else they are unlikely to get very far. Managed to fluke their way to the final last time round on the strength of two world class players (Kahn and Ballack) and avoiding European teams on the way. I can really only see this as a diaster for them as there's no way they'll reach the semis on home soil and Klinsmann's conduct (living in LA and watching videotapes) is open to ridicule from day one. That said, they do have an easy group.

Italy are looking very strong to me, They have as many attacking options as Brazil (although not quite as much quality) and the advantage of a typically Italian defence which although not having youth on it's side is still impressive. Finding the right XI is probably their biggest challenge. I think they could do the usual Italian only just qualify from the group and then get better. They may go into their final group game with the Czech Rep. all ready on 6 points. This could be helpful if they want to win the group and avoid the winner's of Brazil's group. Ghana should be no problem, they have a weak defence but they might struggle against the USA (despite being ranked #4 in the world I can't see them doing much and lack of high class opposition experience will show, I expect them to push Italy hard but Czech Rep. will beat them easily.)

The Czechs themselves could get to the final, they have a strong enough team to beat anyone and this is their first world cup since they split from Slovakia and they have a lot of players who would like to go out on a high. They do lack consistency but if they manage to avaoid Brazil in the 2nd round 6/1 for the semi finals and evern an e/w at 25/1 looks promising.

Portugal have an easy group with Mexico as the seeds. Strong in defence and attack, think C. Ronaldo will have a good tournament. They need to hope a forward comes good for them else they'll not get past Holland/Argentina in the second round. Would love to see them play England in the Q-finals though.

Spain, like Holland always look better on paper and it's easy to say 'this time' or 'dark horses' but they always cock it up. Raul hasn't played as many games this year due to injury and Real's poor season at his age he should be peaking and looking to finally get some goals in a tournament. Potential Golden Boot winner for me. An easy group to qualify from with S. Arabia being a nice final match if they have beaten Tunisia (who have a very solid team and could go far if they get out of the group) and get at least a draw against Ukraine.) Winning this group should help whoever to reach the quarters looking at the weakness of Group H. If Shevchenko isn't fit I can't look past Spain as they have a sprinkling of world class players in all parts of the team.

France got an incredibly easy draw which could allow Henry to get some goals in the early stages, he's not really performed on an international level and Switzerland, S. Korea and Togo should provide easy pickings for him. That said 2002's group looked easy for them too. 2nd is hard to call but S. Korea could set up a rematch with Spain. I can't see France beating a full strength Ukraine or Spain in the last 16 personally.

Finally England. Without Rooney I can't see them beating who-ever they play in the Quarter-finals, with him they could see him dragging them to the final itself. I have a slight feeling this injury is being overplayed and he'll see action in Germany. SHould have no problem with beating T&T and even a draw against Paraguay wouldn't be too bad as they would need to win against Sweden in that situation. I do think it's about time we beat the Swedes but I don't think it matters too much as providing both teams go though I expect them both to be quarter finalists.

Potential Quarter Finalists
Australia, Sweden, Ukraine, Portugal

Teams who could slip up before the Q/Final
Germany, Brazil, France, Italy, Holland.

Hasty predictions though.

Q-finals.

SWEvARG
ITAvSPA
ENGvHOL
BRAvUKR

The Duck Man

I can't see Brazil slipping up before the quarters. Their defence may not be that good, but it's certainly on a par with those in their group. And, it cannot be understated, their attack is fucking immense. They'll get 9 points in their group, I think.

rjd2

Yep they will overwhelm Croatia who trust me are not that great. Australia may trip them up though.

terminallyrelaxed

We need a little faith, people. The good people at Mars exhort us to Believe, and they surely have our best interests at heart. Apparently our belief as a nation can be measured by the number of Believe bars we buy. This has nothing whatsoever to do with Mars sales or making white van drivers diabetic, and everything to do with glory in Germany, and I'm sure none of you will be so cynical to suggest otherwise. So get out there and eat for England!

imitationleather

Fortunately with Rooney spending the summer at home their sales will surely be up by at least 30%.

Doctor Stamen

Don't think i've ever looked forward to a World Cup as much as this one.  As everyone else seems to be saying, there are about ten teams who could realistically win it.  All the pundits are raving over Brazil but i'm not so sure, I'm almost certain the winners will come from Europe.

I've got a hunch for Italy.  Quality keeper and defence, a very good midfield (Gattuso and Pirlo are outstanding on their day) and world-class strikers in abundance (Cassano didn't even make the squad ffs).  It's worth sticking a couple of quid on them to win it, maybe with Luca Toni as top scorer.

This Serie A match-fixing scandal could take a lot of pressure off them as well, and might even bring the players together.

chand

Quote from: "imitationleather"Fortunately with Rooney spending the summer at home their sales will surely be up by at least 30%.

The Sun splashed its front page today with the revelation that Wayne Rooney is now fit enough to start the tournament, a story which strangely no-one else seems to be reporting.

imitationleather

Heh, I just read the report on The Sun website. All it seems to be is that Rooney's said he may be fit for the opener (although when and where he said this isn't given, there's not even a proper quote) and then Graham Taylor and Jimmy Greaves have said this is good news. Great!

Bilko

Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"There are about ten teams who could realistically win it.  All the pundits are raving over Brazil but i'm not so sure, I'm almost certain the winners will come from Europe.
In every world cup there are good sides, that look capable of giving anyone a game.  But there is only ever really 3 or 4 teams that can win it.  Only 7 countries have ever won the world cup and there have been 17 tournaments.  It is very hard to predict which of the European sides are going to do well, therefore maybe a Portugal, Spain, Ukraine, or god forbid England will go a lot further in this tournament.  

Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"I've got a hunch for Italy.  Quality keeper and defence, a very good midfield (Gattuso and Pirlo are outstanding on their day)
Gattuso's great days dont come around often enough tho, and he is devoid of creativity and never gets forward.  There's no-one in their side to break the opposite down, or go past anyone.

the midnight watch baboon

http://www.micanio.f2s.com/WC-Countdown.htm is good for clock watchers. I think Owen's due a tournament where he scores 5-6: 2 is his top return from any WC or Euro. Gerrard is our key player, I think- provided he doesn't get cramp or attempt risky backpasses in the last minute when it's 1-1.