Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:33:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Immortality [split topic]

Started by Memorex MP3, June 12, 2023, 10:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Memorex MP3

Was a thread ever made for Immortality here?

NoSleep

It didn't live very long.

Actually, I don't know

The Crumb

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on June 12, 2023, 10:25:26 PMWas a thread ever made for Immortality here?

What were your thoughts?

I played it a couple of months ago. One of those experiences that's nice to have Gamepass for. I found it interesting, but absolutely couldn't see that the 10/10s from the likes of Edge were justified.

The backwards stuff didn't really do it for me either as a mechanic or story.

Memorex MP3

Thought it was a great social experience tbh. It was unintentionally helped a lot by some weird video playback issues me and my friend took as being part of the device that was being used. The reveal of the hidden stuff was way more gradual and confusing while the broken frame rate made our brains fill in the blanks and make all the footage seem way more accurate to the time period

The ending thing absolutely sucked, they always do on these games.
Wouldn't Edge 10/10 it but I'd give it a 9 with the caveat that I think it's as good as that format can get without major structural weaknesses

The Crumb

I can see it being a much better experience with someone to discuss with as you went along. I felt like the investigation aspect didn't require much understanding to progress in the game, it would have been fun to bounce theories and speculation with someone as I went.

Maybe this is missing the point, but I would have liked the special clues to be a bit more interestingly hidden in a way that made you pay closer attention to the details.

Memorex MP3

I kinda feel like all games that solely involve untangling a mystery are best played with other people tbh. Regret not doing Obra Dinn that way massively, as much as I adored it. Haven't actually read many reviews but I suspect a lot of them played it with other people as it's such a rare accessible social gaming opportunity

Yeah I think you're right, I don't think the way the hidden footage emerged was done as well as it could have been, and it's doubly annoying that there's some bits which suggest they know it too (eg the chat show with the degrading tape)

chutnut

Finally properly played this and I think it's one of my favourite games, I absolutely loved it. Finished getting all the clips last night.
Went in with pretty low expectations, watched the first clip last year and fucked it off cause i thought the acting would be shit and the whole thing would be pretty cringe, but turns out its actually sick! It's basically Inland Empire: The Game.
The only thing I didn't particularly like was the
Spoiler alert
you're next!
[close]
ending, it was also odd how early you see the end credits, still had absolutely no idea what was going on at that point. The first reverse scene I got was the
Spoiler alert
shagging on the table during the script reading
[close]
which came out of nowhere and was probably the most shocked I've been playing a game for as long as I remember