Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:34:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Baltimore bridge fucked

Started by Mobius, March 26, 2024, 08:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Needed a good guy with a bigger boat

Buelligan

Psybro

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 26, 2024, 11:04:13 AMYou don't drive a ship, you're thinking of cars. buzby seems to think that the boat was being controlled by a pilot, but he's got confused with planes. Maybe that's the problem here, and the wrong sorts of professionals were in charge of things rather than the ship being filled with seamen.
Sorry, the ship was being ridden by cops.

touchingcloth

You ROW a ship, you absolute bunch of berks.

shiftwork2

S2 of The Wire was the best and this proves it.  In particular the great performance by Steve Doors.

Dex Sawash

Seems suspicious we haven't heard from @newbridge

steve98

Beautiful vehicular bridge of the Baltimore bay!
Alas! I am very sorry to say...

Uncle TechTip

kngen

Quote from: steve98 on March 26, 2024, 11:39:53 AMBeautiful vehicular bridge of the Baltimore bay!
Alas! I am very sorry to say...

Braw!

idunnosomename

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on March 26, 2024, 11:50:25 AMWhat's the point of that, the bridge has already collapsed.
you can watch them fix it

Buelligan

Livestreams are weird like that.  Magically, you can also turn back time, to a better time when a bridge, for instance, was just sitting there, happy and free.  Minding its own bizzy.  Before the world famous "Baltimore" PeeDee attacked it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 26, 2024, 10:01:41 AM
* Dex Sawash marked safe from absolutely fucked bridge

Any news on Dan Bell?

buzby

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on March 26, 2024, 10:37:39 AMPleased to see it's already on Wikipedia's List of bridge failures, alongside the 2023 Interstate 95 highway collapse in Philadelphia where a tanker caught fire after a crash, damaging an overpass and killing 1; and such notable events as the 2022 Morbi bridge collapse in India (135+ dead); and I'm sure we all remember the Ponte Morande in Genoa, 43 dead in 2018.

It's not too common for ships to cause serious damage to bridges, although sometimes a ship will try and go the wrong way with calamitous results. There was the Ulyanovsk railway bridge disaster in 1988 where a Russian cruise ship went through the wrong span for unclear reasons, causing 176 deaths, but the ship was OK. And a freighter hit the Tasman Bridge in Hobart, Australia in 1977, with 5 deaths - it was foggy and the ship's master allegedly not paying attention. The Lake Pontchartrain Causeway near New Orleans was hit in 1966 with 6 deaths and a bus fell in the lake.
Most relevant to the current collision is the 1993 Big Bayou Canot collision, where a tug towing barges at night in fog with no compass, charts and an inexperienced captain who wasn't trained to use the radar got lost on the Mobile River, went up the wrong fork and knocked a railway bridge out of alignment. An Amtrak express train came along 40 minutes later and went into the river, killing 47 passengers and crew and injuring 103 .

QuoteThere have been several other bridge collapses in the US this century; highway infrastructure is aging and in desperate need of massive repairs, as engineers will tell you constantly, although it's allegedly getting a bit better.
In 2022 the Fern Hollow road bridge in Pittsburgh collapsed as a bus drove over it due to the legs rusting through. Inspections as far back as 2014 had highligted excessive corrosion, and in 2017 a 1ft square hole had formed in one of the legs but nothing was done.

Last month, again in Pittsburg, the Charles Anderson Memorial Bridge was closed due to excessive corrosion.

In December, the Washington Bridge that carries I-195 to Rhode Island had one side closed permanently after someone on a boat noticed the end of the centre span bouncing as traffic went over it, and a subsequent insopection shoed the anchor rods in the concrete that were supposed to tie it down had fractured. Successive inspections had warned that the rods were being corroded and were likely to fracture due to the reduction of the cross section.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: checkoutgirl on March 26, 2024, 11:12:25 AMYeah I'm not sure if it's mainly a US thing but politicians don't seem to want to repair or reinforce existing infrastructure. Much better to build something new for a photo opportunity and let what's already there crumble.
It's just society in general. Every single office based job I've had has been fixated on making new pointless bullshit instead of just making the core product actually function okay. Literally the only way you can actually fully resolve key issues seems to be to let them hit a crisis point.

Blumf

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on March 26, 2024, 11:50:25 AMWhat's the point of that, the bridge has already collapsed.

There's a load of ships trapped behind the bridge, so there's a non-zero chance that one of them may try to jump it. You don't want to miss that!

poo

Zero Gravitas

Waiting impatiently for the Wikipedia article to have enough images to fill a 3 hour podcast with slides.

Ferris

imitationleather

I absolutely hate bridges. When I walk on them I get all dizzy and start breathing fast and need to have a lie down, which is obviously extremely embarrassing because as a big burly man I don't like my manhood being shown up for the sham it is.

So this is the best news story of the century for me.

Zero Gravitas

Alas, it was a dark and sorrowful morn,
When Baltimore's bridge was tragically torn.
Struck by a ship, so large and so bold,
The Francis Scott Key Bridge into the waters did roll'd.

Oh, the horror and the chaos, on that fateful day,
As the buttresses beneath the travellers had given way.
A beacon of connection, now broken and lost,
A reminder of the dangers, when into water one's toss'd.

Captain Z

Gazza has turned up with a fishing trawler and container of sex arses.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

McDead

Shame about that bridge though

Uncle TechTip

Psybro

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on March 26, 2024, 12:34:22 PMWaiting impatiently for the Wikipedia article to have enough images to fill a 3 hour podcast with slides.
First thing in my head when I saw the news this morning was Justin's voice saying "The road is in the river, it's not supposed to be there."

touchingcloth

Why are we talking about this bridge when Gaza?

sprocket

Quote from: Ferris on March 26, 2024, 12:35:39 PMThe SS Sobotka's Revenge.

If only they'd dredged the canal instead of the grain pier.

imitationleather

Don't cry. That bridge is up there with Captain Tom, Diana, Harambe, Teletext, Dennis Nilsen and the crooked pub now.

Buelligan

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 26, 2024, 01:42:49 PMWhy are we talking about this bridge when Gaza?

Because of the current Palestinian/US positions on the International Death Exchange Market.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 26, 2024, 01:42:49 PMWhy are we talking about this bridge when Gaza?

Already mentioned by Captain Z a few posts up!