Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:48:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The "XTC are really really good" thread

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, July 19, 2015, 12:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

At least until you read the article and they all say no chance!

Jockice

I woke up in the middle of last night and ended watching a documentary on XTC on YouTube. As someone who wasn't really a fan (owned a few singles but no albums) I had to admit it was quite interesting.

Head Gardener

I can't blame the local Swindon paper for at least giving the idea a glimmer of hope

daf

Quote from: Jockice on December 27, 2023, 03:52:00 PMI woke up in the middle of last night and ended watching a documentary on XTC on YouTube. As someone who wasn't really a fan (owned a few singles but no albums) I had to admit it was quite interesting.

One of us, one of us, gooble-gobble gooble-gobble!

Maurice Yeatman

Definitely over-egged for clicks.

"All four longstanding members of the Swindon outfit sat down to speak to the Adver for the first time to talk about their legacy" = I phoned each of them and for all I know they were sitting down.

DG: "I'd be prepared for the four of us just to get together for a photo session just for austerities sake." He obviously said "posterity's", so wrong twice.
But some good quotes and a nice pic of Dave still not looking anything close to his real age.

lauraxsynthesis

Kinell Gregory's looking good for his age.

Years ago I read an interview with Partridge that started with a story of the interviewer taking a taxi to his house and the taxi driver saying that Andy Partridge of XTC used to live around there. The interviewer kept shtum that that's who he was visiting.

PaulTMA

Johnboy

I haven't gone through this whole thread yet but just wanted to pop in to say I've started going deep on XTC.

I only own English Settlement, Skylarking and Apple Venus and would say I only know Apple Venus very well.

I had previously erroneously thought that their other albums weren't up to scratch - this was based on nothing but fantasy in my head.

From dipping in on my streaming service I am now realising that each album is its own separate brilliant universe and I think I've found a new favourite band that have been staring me in the face since 1979.

So anyway, thanks for there being a 37 page thread that subconsciously nudged me towards deeper investigation.

I'm going in!

daf

Wahey!

I know the feeling - they're one of the few bands which basically kept getting better (and different) with each album.

The musical journey roughly went : Punk - new wave - powerpop - acoustic rock - pastoral folk - industrial clang - psychedelic - concept chamberpop - sunshine rock - baroque - orchestral - and then ending with an encore of powerpop again.

They were the best band of the 80s - welcome to the club!

Brundle-Fly

Oo, a couple of people here just getting into XTC? I'm the green man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdmZwm_5occ

Head Gardener

non capisco

Quote from: Head Gardener on February 23, 2024, 08:32:39 PMJust the drummer, anyone?

Live at the 100 Club

Already booked to see them a few months later at The Forge in Camden. Saw them at the 100 Club before and had an absolute blast. It's essentially a pub band playing all your XTC favourites with the original drummer to an extremely appreciative audience, dug it to the max. Pretty much the closest you're gonna get these days to a band you adore that stopped performing live in 1982.

lauraxsynthesis

I'm up for the 100 Club gig if anyone else is. I don't know anyone IRL into XTC apart from a dad who doesn't get out anymore

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: non capisco on February 25, 2024, 12:05:35 AMAlready booked to see them a few months later at The Forge in Camden. 
I'm going too! Hoorah!

non capisco

lauraxsynthesis

If anyone is in Gloucestershire instead of at the London meetup on 4 May, this may be of interest

https://thesubrooms.co.uk/whats-on/xtc-english-settlement-with-producer-hugh-padgham-1284