Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:51:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gallagher/Squire

Started by SteveDave, December 21, 2023, 01:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Quote from: earl_sleek on December 23, 2023, 12:22:20 PMGuys there's only so many threads and if we use them all up on lumpenindie we won't have any left for the free jazz Mongolian wanking soundtracks
I've reached my Sleater-Kinney thread limit for this year. I'll have to wait until their new album comes out next year and it will no doubt be a huge disappointment like the last one was and no, I am not a bitter Janet fan, honest.

PaulTMA

There's also not opening threads one is not going to be interested in

Memorex MP3

So how was that Shaun Ryder album from a couple of years ago? Didn't know it existed until a few minutes ago but I seem to recall his first solo album having some fans

Wrt this project, fair play to Squire for spotting that Gallagher would be enough of a mark to do a project with him. Liam Gallagher has had a bit of a bizarre ascent the last few years from what I've seen; maybe it's just because he's somewhat likeable on social media while Noel is a smug grumpy cunt

The Mollusk

Quote from: Kankurette on December 23, 2023, 11:56:36 AMSo what bands are we allowed to talk about? I don't know how to say this without coming across as a bitch but I don't even know who half of the bands you like are or what they sound like. And I haven't got the time or mental energy to sit and listen to all of them.

Most of the threads in here aren't about bands like Oasis.

The amount of chat on here in the last year about turgid old crap like Oasis and Stone Roses could fill a barn. Pages and pages of ooh they were quite good actually, 8th Oasis album had a couple of good riffs on it, they're better than people give them credit for.

In Deeper Into Movies the overwhelming majority of threads are about new films. Comparatively in here all that most people want to do is anecdotally dig through rock history. 3/4 of the threads in the list you just cited are about classic (predominantly rock) bands.

Some amazing alternative stuff turning up in the best of 2023 thread but it takes catch-all threads like that for people to want to share it. It baffles me. Literally just start a thread and be like "Found this weird/new thing, reckon it's pretty good. Anyone digging it?" That's all the OPs in the film threads are. Even if no one listens to it, it still creates a healthy balance and stops this place from sinking into the same tedious rock-centric obsessions as other supposedly open minded forums/sites.

The fact that someone in a thread about Liam Gallagher can just be like "Beastie Boys are shite" when they're infinitely more talented, creative, fun and free spirited and have contributed more to music than that dickhead shaved ape could ever dream of says everything you need to know about this place sometimes. But then when you've got "WORDS & GUITAR" as the forum subheader I guess I shouldn't expect much else really should I?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Kankurette on December 23, 2023, 12:17:25 PMBands/genres on the front page of Oscillations, besides these guys:
- Hard dance/electro
- Pogues
- Rolling Stones
- The Clientele
- Simple Minds
- Fugazi
- Daniel Johnston
- Mansun
- Iron Maiden
- Peter Gabriel
- Hardcore/rave
- KCi and JoJo
- Classical
- Denny Laine
- Voice Actor
- Rob Halford's solo stuff
- Sleaford Mods
- Wicker Man OST
- The O
- Belle & Sebastian
- Black metal
- Kiss

Good God, I'd go to that festival (not joking)

iamcoop

Quote from: The Mollusk on December 23, 2023, 02:50:21 PMThe fact that someone in a thread about Liam Gallagher can just be like "Beastie Boys are shite" when they're infinitely more talented, creative, fun and free spirited and have contributed more to music than that dickhead shaved ape could ever dream of says everything you need to know about this place sometimes.

You were the one that bizarrely decided to mention the Beastie Boys in a Liam Gallagher thread? And yeah, I think they're shit. I also think Gallagher is shit. Which I mentioned.

But yeah, continue to do that weird thing you do where you go on about how you're not a smug, gatekeeping bully whilst consistently acting like one at all times.

Some absolute fucking belters around these parts I swear. Comedy chat's full of threads about Sid Little and Jim Davidson but I don't feel the need to act like a self righteous prick all the time in there, I just read the threads I want to and ignore the ones I don't.

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on December 23, 2023, 02:08:45 PMSo how was that Shaun Ryder album from a couple of years ago? Didn't know it existed until a few minutes ago but I seem to recall his first solo album having some fans

Wrt this project, fair play to Squire for spotting that Gallagher would be enough of a mark to do a project with him. Liam Gallagher has had a bit of a bizarre ascent the last few years from what I've seen; maybe it's just because he's somewhat likeable on social media while Noel is a smug grumpy cunt

I've seen Liam live the last couple of times round and have tickets for him next summer. He's ace daft fun. Very charismatic which is sorta' what you want in a pop star.

I've also seen Noel a couple of times- the last time earlier this year- it was all a bit dull.

Plus, yea, Noel has turned out to be a bit of a Tory cunt whilst Liam seems to have calmed down to be quite- dare I say it- an amusing relatively chilled bloke.

dontpaintyourteeth

That last Shaun Ryder album was pretty forgettable fwiw

checkoutgirl

Quote from: iamcoop on December 23, 2023, 03:14:20 PMAnd yeah, I think they're shit.

They're not though. We all have different tastes and everything but come on. Let's not start getting silly. Check Your Head alone makes them a decent band.

Kankurette

I started a thread about the new Emma Anderson album and nobody posted in it. I started a thread about The Comet Is Coming, who are very much not a pedestrian band, and a few people posted in it, but not loads. Same with Ultrasound. Tbh there is one band I've gotten into a lot recently that are new and that's Witch Fever, but I'm leery of posting about them because I worry loads of people will go 'fuck off Kankurette, they're shit'. Oasis et al are big names and familiar territory, it stands to reason that they'll get more posts on them. Positive or negative. I don't really watch films so I don't post in the film forum.

And no, I don't think the Beastie Boys are shite, although I'm not a fan. I can still appreciate their influence though. Sabotage always reminds me of Jilly's Rockworld. Comparing them to Oasis is apples and durian. (Also, Words & Guitar is a Sleater-Kinney reference.)

I do try and give the bands you recommend a chance but I'll be honest, it's hit and miss. Sorte Skole, I liked because I like samples and found sounds, but I hated the Reverend Lou Hayter album, I couldn't sit through it, and this is coming from someone who likes angry women (I've gotten into GGGOLDDD recently).

ETA: forgot to add, one reason why I love the Snooker thread is because I'm a very, very casual fan and I don't have the passion or knowledge of the sport that Blue Jam and Flouncer do, but nobody looks down on me for it. Thank fuck. Well, it's that and the hair jokes.

Jockice

I have expressed my opinion on The Beastie Boys several times on this forum and I'm certainly not going to do it now. I'm a peaceful type really.

iamcoop

I only mentioned Beastie Boys as they were oddly brought up in this thread about Liam Gallagher and John Squire. If someone made a Beastie Boys thread I'd just ignore it and let the people that do like them crack on. I personally can't stand them but that's fine. Plenty of people love them and that's fine.

We've had these comments time and time again, usually started by the same people, who complain that mainstream stuff gets talked about more than niche stuff or whatever. And it's usually framed in a patronising, holier than thou way, which in my opinion is way more damaging to new forum members who might (not unreasonably) think this place is full of sneering snobs. When it (on the whole) isn't.

There's plenty of places to discuss more niche music on the internet if that's what you want, so go seek them out rather than being petulant yet again when a forum doesn't cater to your exact, specific wants.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

If you don't hear Sureshot by Beastie Boys and get just a little bit fired up inside then I pity you.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: The Mollusk on December 23, 2023, 02:50:21 PMThe amount of chat on here in the last year about turgid old crap like Oasis and Stone Roses could fill a barn. Pages and pages of ooh they were quite good actually, 8th Oasis album had a couple of good riffs on it, they're better than people give them credit for.

In Deeper Into Movies the overwhelming majority of threads are about new films. Comparatively in here all that most people want to do is anecdotally dig through rock history. 3/4 of the threads in the list you just cited are about classic (predominantly rock) bands.

Some amazing alternative stuff turning up in the best of 2023 thread but it takes catch-all threads like that for people to want to share it. It baffles me. Literally just start a thread and be like "Found this weird/new thing, reckon it's pretty good. Anyone digging it?" That's all the OPs in the film threads are. Even if no one listens to it, it still creates a healthy balance and stops this place from sinking into the same tedious rock-centric obsessions as other supposedly open minded forums/sites.

The fact that someone in a thread about Liam Gallagher can just be like "Beastie Boys are shite" when they're infinitely more talented, creative, fun and free spirited and have contributed more to music than that dickhead shaved ape could ever dream of says everything you need to know about this place sometimes. But then when you've got "WORDS & GUITAR" as the forum subheader I guess I shouldn't expect much else really should I?

being this mad about rockism was a decade out of date by the Oasis had even formed. battling against the rock centred critical consensus of the 2020s.

get with the times grandpadad

Video Game Fan 2000

the pretense that rock is the most acclaimed form of pop music and has an iron grip on critical attitudes and popular taste, and we have to subvert it by listening to as much thatcher-era dance pop as possible was hilarious 20 years ago. oooooh Duran Duran were more innovative than the Gang of Four, i'm shocked i'm getting the vapours that someone could say something so subversive

oasis are responsible for some of the worst pop ever but how long were they "cool" for? 18 months? how long were the Roses cool for before baggy and madchester became a pop culture joke? two years at most? the La's reign of retro-terror over the charts: one single. whereas anti-rockism has been a major critical and pop culture trend for longer than ive been alive and im fucking 40. you dont want to listen to the music that lads listen to, do you? the lads who like football? do you?

id prefer if Oscillations was all about recent rap because i dont give a shit about most contemporary rock n roll, and i'm too old to know where the best places to find about about new rap are. but come on now. i really like some early Oasis demos, singles and live stuff - this feels like a terminally uncool and critically unserious opinion about pop, as has done since i was in high school and both the cool kids and the goths took the piss out of Noel rock and townies that liked it. oh and Live Forever has right-on lyrics.

neil kulkarni can wave his fist at me on the way back from drawing out his pension

dontpaintyourteeth

Let's do a thread about how poptimism has poisoned discourse to the extent to that everyone has to now pretend beyonce is good

Blue Jam

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on December 23, 2023, 02:08:45 PMLiam Gallagher has had a bit of a bizarre ascent the last few years from what I've seen; maybe it's just because he's somewhat likeable on social media while Noel is a smug grumpy cunt

We're in a brave new world where Liam is the sensible Gallagher brother. He's still a sleazy git though, I don't know how people have forgotten that.

I went right off Noel when he said he "loathes" the Scissor Sisters. How the fuck can anyone loathe the Scissor Sisters FFS?

Jockice

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on December 23, 2023, 04:40:11 PMLet's do a thread about how poptimism has poisoned discourse to the extent to that everyone has to now pretend beyonce is good

Actually, I was watching Top Of The Pops last night and Dollar were on. I'm old enough to remember when the NME tried to convince people that they were good. Shamefully I know people who fell for it. Compared to them Beyonce is Beethoven.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on December 23, 2023, 04:40:11 PMLet's do a thread about how poptimism has poisoned discourse to the extent to that everyone has to now pretend beyonce is good

beyonce is good but we do have to pretend that billionaires have critical consensus against them which is almost as much reality denial as thinking beyonce is bad

dontpaintyourteeth

Blue Jam

Beyoncé is good you miserable effers

Video Game Fan 2000

Doja Cat's Attention is one of the coolest things to me but its way more of a formalist, nostalgia driven and critic orientated throwback to 90s "cool" rap and triphop than Oasis were to the Beatles. it absolutely slams but also it feels like it was made in a lab for me to post the Gordon Ramsey "finally some good fucking food" meme about on twitter or whatever social media consensus mechanism counts these days

most critically elevated pop music is more beholden to a specific 80s/90s window of pop 'vibes' than 90s indie was ever to 60s nostalgia.

Kankurette

I should make an African rap/hip-hop thread. If only because of the double whammy of MC Yallah and Aunty Rayzor.

Video Game Fan 2000

i love how much afro beat influence there is in 'chart' music these days

dont know shit about it but i like hearing it

Ascent

Pretty weird move to go into a thread about artists you don't like and then trying to gatekeep what people post and where they post it.

Quote from: The Mollusk on December 23, 2023, 02:50:21 PMIt baffles me.

Why do you think that is?

Video Game Fan 2000

you know what would be really brave? if someone made a dance pop song about putting feelings ahead of thoughts, chasing pleasure, being authentically yourself and not giving a fuck about whatever anyone else thinks

this would be a really new thing no one has done before. boomers wouldn't get it, it would come straight from the kids

Quote from: Jockice on December 23, 2023, 04:45:28 PMActually, I was watching Top Of The Pops last night and Dollar were on. I'm old enough to remember when the NME tried to convince people that they were good. Shamefully I know people who fell for it. Compared to them Beyonce is Beethoven.

That was Morley and his 'new pop'. Those shiny Dollar tunes were ace. 

Ascent

Quote from: Kankurette on December 23, 2023, 03:45:06 PMI'm leery of posting about them because I worry loads of people will go 'fuck off Kankurette, they're shit'.

Please keep posting them Kankurette! I'm always looking to discover new music and often check out what people share and talk about here and I really appreciate it when you and others do. Sorry for not saying thanks before in those threads, but like a lot of people here I happen to be an anti-social, grumpy git that thinks no one will be interested in what I say most of them time.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Kankurette on December 23, 2023, 04:54:33 PMI should make an African rap/hip-hop thread. If only because of the double whammy of MC Yallah and Aunty Rayzor.

You should! I would love to check out some recommendations.

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on December 23, 2023, 04:57:52 PMyou know what would be really brave? if someone made a dance pop song about putting feelings ahead of thoughts, chasing pleasure, being authentically yourself and not giving a fuck about whatever anyone else thinks

this would be a really new thing no one has done before. boomers wouldn't get it, it would come straight from the kids

Would like to do a disco thread.

Think a "gay music" thread could also be interesting but would be a can of worms. Probably better not.