Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:31:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Screen recording from browser (off Youtube/Dailymotion etc)

Started by Pink Gregory, October 29, 2023, 04:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

There are a few oldish BBC TV shows that are negligibly about that I'd quite like to get a copy of - Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema in case you wonder - I don't and have never done torrenting (don't really want to expose myself to the risk) so I reckon the best way is to find some way of just recording the picture and audio off the browser (Firefox).

Any ideas?  Is it not that simple?

El Unicornio, mang

Use get_iplayer, it's free software that downloads any BBC shows in full HD (or whatever quality they were uploaded in/you specify)

Download

Guide

Edit: Oh wait I think you might mean stuff that's not on iPlayer anymore, in that case you could just use a free software like Active Presenter to screen record but I'd probably use a browser plugin like Video Downloader to get them directly

Pink Gregory

thanks @El Unicornio, mang

will try the browser plugin

looks like a lot of them are paid or watermark the image, might be screen recording for me

Pink Gregory

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on October 29, 2023, 05:02:15 PMUse get_iplayer, it's free software that downloads any BBC shows in full HD (or whatever quality they were uploaded in/you specify)

Download

Guide

Edit: Oh wait I think you might mean stuff that's not on iPlayer anymore, in that case you could just use a free software like Active Presenter to screen record but I'd probably use a browser plugin like Video Downloader to get them directly

If they're on youtube or dailymotion yt-dlp will do for those what get_iplayer does for iplayer.

https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp

hermitical

Quote from: Pink Gregory on October 29, 2023, 04:51:27 PMI don't and have never done torrenting (don't really want to expose myself to the risk)

What about limiting yourself to well known and recognised private trackers, like Karagarga or TV Chaos?

touchingcloth

Quote from: hermitical on October 30, 2023, 02:41:54 PMWhat about limiting yourself to well known and recognised private trackers, like Karagarga or TV Chaos?

I always assume if an MP4 or MKV manages to virus my system, that's an issue with VLC player.

Is that misguided?

DrGreggles

If it comes down to it, you can record anything you're watching by using OBS/Streamlabs/Prism/etc.
Because some places are pricks and they embed their content so you can't steal it.

Midas

hermitical

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 30, 2023, 03:40:54 PMI always assume if an MP4 or MKV manages to virus my system, that's an issue with VLC player.

Is that misguided?

I don't really understand the question? If it's a virus it is a virus, I'm not sure why VLC would be the issue?

hermitical

Quote from: touchingcloth on October 30, 2023, 03:40:54 PMI always assume if an MP4 or MKV manages to virus my system, that's an issue with VLC player.

Is that misguided?

If you are using a private tracker like Karagarga or TVChaos then you are very much limiting the risk of viruses. In all my time torrenting/using direct downloads from trusted sources I have never had an issue (decades).

touchingcloth

Quote from: hermitical on November 28, 2023, 05:31:36 PMI don't really understand the question? If it's a virus it is a virus, I'm not sure why VLC would be the issue?

Can an MP4 file be a virus given they're not executable? My question is, is it misguided to think that if a video file did somehow act as a virus then that that is a problem with the software that is playing it as opposed to the video itself?

Beloved of Jo

Yes, they would have to rely on a vulnerability in a specific media player generally, overflowing a buffer somewhere with malicious code that then has to be ran. A lot of modern systems tend to actively try to prevent data from being executed by those kinds of shenanigans, though.
While rare, it can happen though. I believe there was a major vulnerability just a couple of months ago with the handling of webp images by the shared library used by Chrome and friends, for example.

touchingcloth

So my approach of not worrying too much about MP4 files, and making sure that I install VLC (and system) updates as soon as they're released is sensible? Like you say, modern OSes tend to do a lot to prevent this sort of thing, especially if you are careful with the software you grant admin rights to.

Beloved of Jo

Yeah, as long as you're up to date, there's not much to worry about. No more than anything else. Stuff like the webp thing tend to be rare and quite rapidly patched.