Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:15:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Terminator (2019)

Started by St_Eddie, June 08, 2018, 02:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on August 04, 2018, 11:22:34 PM
Er, not really - that's how editing works. You film a lot of extraneous stuff just in case the film would (somehow) work better with a spot of exposition or a comedy bit or whatever else, then you see what works in the editing room. When you know what your final film is going to look like, you do reshoots to cover the gaps and push it out the door.

It's no more a fluke than any good painting in the Tate is a fluke - things are adjusted and "painted over" all along the creative process. It's just a sign that Cameron is (or was) such a brilliant director that it seems so natural.

I'm fairly sure it was only a matter of running time that kept the mirror scene - with its incredibly clunky and on-the-nose dialogue - out of the final film.  If initial edits of Terminator 2 had been shorter, it would have stayed in.

I'm not interested in quibbling over use of the word 'fluke'; I'm just saying that Terminator 2 could have very easily ended up as a much stupider film, and it was pretty much a toss-of-a-coin's difference away from being significantly less of a classic movie.

mothman

Quote from: Alberon on August 05, 2018, 03:54:45 PM
So is this the first of a trilogy then?

Salvation was (intended to be) the first of a trilogy. Genisys likewise was also the first of another trilogy. So in answer to your question: is it likely to matter if it is..?

mjwilson

Quote from: Artemis on August 05, 2018, 02:09:44 AM
The Terminator franchise has never existed

Now you're talking.

mothman

Ah, the Butterfly Effect ending. Looper already did it.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on August 05, 2018, 04:47:41 PM
I'm not interested in quibbling over use of the word 'fluke'; I'm just saying that Terminator 2 could have very easily ended up as a much stupider film, and it was pretty much a toss-of-a-coin's difference away from being significantly less of a classic movie.

As someone whom does editing myself, I can categorically tell you that the process is anything but a fluke.  It's not a coin toss, it's purposeful, as much as the directorial process.

monolith

There's a huge amount of footage that isn't used in every movie ever made. If you use the same logic then every decent film is a fluke.

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 06, 2018, 02:14:09 AM
As someone whom does editing myself, I can categorically tell you that the process is anything but a fluke.  It's not a coin toss, it's purposeful, as much as the directorial process.

I think I'm being misunderstood for some reason.  I am aware of the nuances of film and audio editing.

Replies From View

Quote from: monolith on August 06, 2018, 09:43:57 AM
There's a huge amount of footage that isn't used in every movie ever made. If you use the same logic then every decent film is a fluke.

Not really; I was talking specifically about deleted scenes where it's clear the writing isn't very good, and where their presence draws attention to the rest of the film's passable-but-borderline dialogue in a negative way.  Maybe there are further examples of exactly this; I would be interested to hear them.

Besides which, the special edition of Terminator 2 still seems to be the only version available on DVD, so it seems someone was content to give us a shit version of the film in the original's place.  This isn't as hypothetical as every decent film has a potential badly-edited one.

Bad Ambassador

The blu-ray contains all three versions.

Replies From View

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on August 06, 2018, 11:39:30 AM
The blu-ray contains all three versions.

Somebody mentioned that upthread.  It doesn't take away from the number of years before the blu-ray finally came out, and it doesn't cater for people who lack a blu-ray player.

Anyway I'm not sure what the argument is anymore.

Malcy

Time this made an appearance...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kgA8QDl1Y1M

I don't know what to think about the new one. I liked Genisys. It was what it was. Biggest fuck up in it was the fact they ended up in the Cheyenne Mountain Complex and there was no Stargate! That would have set the franchise off on an interesting course.

Mister Six

Quote from: Artemis on August 05, 2018, 02:09:44 AM
The Terminator franchise has never existed because of the characters, though. It's the premise that keeps it afloat; the basic 'machine vs human'and dystopian 'machines take over' scenario. The characters are almost superfluous. Their only job is not to get in the way, and ideally add to the storyline.

Disagree strongly with that. Much of the success of T2 is the interplay between John Connor and the T-800, and the transformation of Sarah Connor into an ultra-tough, loopy human pseudo-Terminator.

Every Terminator movie since then has failed to create substantially interesting characters, and every Terminator movie has fallen on its arse.

Mister Six

Quote from: Replies From View on August 05, 2018, 04:47:41 PM
I'm fairly sure it was only a matter of running time that kept the mirror scene - with its incredibly clunky and on-the-nose dialogue - out of the final film.  If initial edits of Terminator 2 had been shorter, it would have stayed in.

What's your source on that? Why not just assume that Cameron looked at the footage and thought, "Yeah, nah, that's a bit shit, let's leave it out."?

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on August 08, 2018, 01:14:42 AM
What's your source on that? Why not just assume that Cameron looked at the footage and thought, "Yeah, nah, that's a bit shit, let's leave it out."?

It would have been an interview around the time the special edition came out, I suspect.  I also remember him saying that all the stuff in the desert was a problem insofar as the T-1000 didn't know where they were, and there was no sense of jeopardy while they were there.  Cameron wanted to get them back into the action as soon as possible, so all the "learning how to smile" stuff for example was cut more for that reason than due to weakness of the material.

Clownbaby

Dunno if people have already discussed this, but I just read that Robert Patrick is possibly considering returning to the franchise, which is odd cause in the past he's never expressed an interest cause it might look naff next to his fabulous young performance.

Replies From View

Playing "Fat" Joe Jetson, the man who inspired Skynet's choice of default appearance for the T-1000.

Imagine how funny it would be if the T-1000 developed a malfunction that meant it could only become a middle-aged, fat version of everyone it tries to imitate.  A mimetic roly-poly alloy, haha!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on August 10, 2018, 04:48:30 PM
Playing "Fat" Joe Jetson, the man who inspired Skynet's choice of default appearance for the T-1000.

Imagine how funny it would be if the T-1000 developed a malfunction that meant it could only become a middle-aged, fat version of everyone it tries to imitate.  A mimetic roly-poly alloy, haha!

I'd prefer it if the T-1000 could only transform into a giant toilet brush.

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 10, 2018, 05:57:48 PM

Would he be able to move?  More than a middle-aged, fat version of a human, at least?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on August 10, 2018, 07:26:33 PM
Would he be able to move?  More than a middle-aged, fat version of a human, at least?

Well, not by his own volition.  Technically he'll be moving quite a bit when someone uses him to scrub the turd streaks from the toilet bowl though.

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 10, 2018, 08:26:18 PM
Well, not by his own volition.  Technically he'll move when someone uses him to scrub the turd streaks from the toilet bowl though.

You say he can transform *into* a giant toilet brush.  What is he transforming into that *from*?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on August 10, 2018, 08:28:31 PM
You say he can transform *into* a giant toilet brush.  What is he transforming into that *from*?

A slightly smaller toilet brush.

Replies From View

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 10, 2018, 08:30:35 PM
A slightly smaller toilet brush.

What kind of T-1000 is this? 

QuoteJohn Connor: Wait a minute here. You're telling me that this thing can imitate anything it touches?

The Terminator: Anything it samples by physical contact.

John Connor: Get real, like it could disguise itself as a pack of cigarettes?

The Terminator: No, only an object of equal size.

John Connor: Then why doesn't it become a bomb or a machine gun or something to get me?

The Terminator: The T-1000 can't form complex machines. Guns and explosives have chemicals in them. Moving parts. It doesn't work that way, but it can form solid metal shapes.

John Connor: Like what?

The Terminator: Knives and stabbing weapons.

I can accept that the T-1000 has lost the ability to form solid metal shapes like knives and stabbing weapons - I can put that down to the natural ageing process.  And I can accept that it has lost the capacity to become anything other than a giant toilet brush for the same reason.  These things are fine.

I am stuck on the idea of it developing the ability to change size.  Please elaborate.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on August 10, 2018, 08:36:38 PM
I am stuck on the idea of it developing the ability to change size.  Please elaborate.

Different timeline, innit?  In this timeline, continuity issues are common place.

mothman

Didn't a T-1000 throw parts of itself made into spears, or did I imagine that?

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 10, 2018, 05:57:48 PM

One has been an urinal, would that do?

St_Eddie

Quote from: mothman on August 11, 2018, 04:26:48 PM
Didn't a T-1000 throw parts of itself made into spears, or did I imagine that?

Not in Terminator 2.  Perhaps in that 3D theme park ride, I can't remember.

Quote from: mothman on August 11, 2018, 04:26:48 PMOne has been an urinal, would that do?

I forgot about that.  Ridiculous.

Quote from: Replies From View on August 10, 2018, 04:48:30 PM
Imagine how funny it would be if the T-1000 developed a malfunction that meant it could only become a middle-aged, fat version of everyone it tries to imitate.

So they can cast Edward Furlong after all

St_Eddie

Quote from: thecuriousorange on August 11, 2018, 08:15:20 PM
So they can cast Edward Furlong after all

Furlong is forlorn at your comment.

Clownbaby

Ohhh ouch, owwie, he is not looking good

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 11, 2018, 08:41:01 PM

Furlong is forlorn at your comment.

He manages to look too fat and too skinny at the same time.

Bazooka

Hopefully he does a Macaulay Culkin and bounces back.