Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:29:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

David Walliams 'Sports personality of the year'?

Started by abbot lau, July 20, 2006, 12:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abbot lau

I heard on the radio that David Walliams is the bookie's favourite for this because of his channel-swimming stunt.  

Now I don't want to belittle the man's feat or anything, and it's nice that it raised money for charity, but 'sports personality of the year??'  Apart from anything else, he's not a 'sports personality', he's a 'comedy personality'.

Does this mean the 'personality' is more important than the 'sports'?

I don't know... something seems to be wrong here somewhere.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'm putting my money on Audley Harrison.

What's going on???

Catalogue Trousers

Hey! But Walliams SWAM THE FUCKING CHANNEL!!! Which, from the way he's being hailed, you'd think that no one had ever done before.

Fair play, I couldn't do it, but it hardly makes him King Sport.

If he is being nominated, then I just hope that we get allowed to posthumously nominate Captain Webb.

Gavin

Neville Chamberlain

Yes, but who should win Sports Personality of the Year??? Can you think of anyone? Peter Crouch?

Nah, give it to Walliams. In the absence of anyone better, why not?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteNah, give it to Walliams. In the absence of anyone better, why not?

What about that lass who has cancer who's running from coast to coast in the US to raise money/awareness, etc. That seems to me to be a better example of a similar nature.

It's a pity British sport has been so appalling recently, giving even pointless tossers a chance of winning an award which may soon cease to matter (if it did anyway).

Jack Shaftoe

I am in the unfamilar position of feeling rather sorry for David Walliams all of a sudden. He sort of did show that you can make a pretty remarkable physical achievement by working hard and being quite determined, so that's sort of inspiring, isn't it? There's always more deserving people I suppose, but I can't begrudge him being nominated for this one.

I don't really care about sports awards, I am just struggling with my contrary emotions towards quite a strange and not-obviously-likeable man. I may have to take the rest of the day off to think about it.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Jack Shaftoe"I am in the unfamilar position of feeling rather sorry for David Walliams all of a sudden.

Yeah, it seems unlikely that he put himself forward for this. You know that bit in the Wizard of Oz when the Munchkins start celebrating the death of the witch and Dorothy's confused by all the endless praise for doing it? I reckon Walliams knows how she feels.

I'm not gay, by the way, I've just seen The Wizard of Oz before.

The Duck Man

Little Hoover

Why couldn't we have given it to Doon Mackichan when she did it though, oh because she's not very famous ok.

Jack Shaftoe

Was that real though, or just a smack the pony sketch?

This sounds sarcastic, bit is in fact a real question.

Little Hoover

Jack Shaftoe

I've looked it up, and you and S. Fry are both entirely correct. My apologies to you both.

Robot Devil

Quote from: "Shoulders?-Stomach!"
What about that lass who has cancer who's running from coast to coast in the US to raise money/awareness, etc. That seems to me to be a better example of a similar nature.

She'll probably get the bravery-type award they have, which I can't remember the name of.

easytarget

"Steve Davies? Sports personality? No he doesn't!"

Paaaaul

How is swimming the channel "sport" ?

It's a great endurance challenge, but not bloody sport.

Jack Shaftoe

It's a 'pointless physical endeavor', which counts, surely?

And before people get clever, there's nothing pointless about wanking.

Because someone was probably going to say something about wanking, it's that time of day.

chocky909

Quote from: "Robot Devil"
Quote from: "Shoulders?-Stomach!"

She'll probably get the bravery-type award they have, which I can't remember the name of.

That's the "Cunts Of Gold" award I believe.

Mr. Analytical

Formerly the "You've got something wrong with you but didn't top yourself... good on ya" award.