Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:55:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Heads up for Peep Show fans - That Mitchell and Webb Sound - Radio 4 - Tonight

Started by jimbobsyouruncle, February 08, 2005, 11:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
QuoteThat Mitchell and Webb Sound  

Thu 10 Feb, 18:30 - 19:00  30 mins

Comedy sketch show starring David Mitchell and Robert Webb, with Olivia Colman and James Bachman. Hear the badger and a fox's opinion of hunting and the ultimate football commentary!

No idea if this is gonna be any good, but could be worth checking out.

Edit: to say that i know this has been discussed in the Peep Show thread but I thought it was worth bringing to the attention of a wider audience... unless it turns out to be crap in which case it wasn't me that told you about it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'll give it a listen but as soon as I start imagining Mark and Jez doing the voices I'll have to switch off.

butnut

Well, if you've heard the trailers, then don't listen! I could only think of Jez and Mark. But I quite liked the trailer I heard this morning on the Today programme, so I'll be giving it a go.

Jemble Fred

If past experience is anything to go by, there should be one rather funny sketch among the 13 or so useless ideas that pass without any effect whatsoever. The show's too nondescript to hate – you might almost say that its heart is in the right place – but it's the low quality of the material in this show that made Peep Show such a surprise, as I'd kind of written Mitchell & Webb off.

SurferGhost

Well that's it isn't it, M&W don't have a hand in writing Peep Show do they, they're *just* performers in it, and the writing is great enough to back up those largely excellent performances. I don't like to play Judge Judy and executioner or owt, as writers they were never truly abysmal, but perhaps performance is where they should concentrate their efforts from now on...

Jon_Norton

Quote from: "SurferGhost"Well that's it isn't it, M&W don't have a hand in writing Peep Show do they, they're *just* performers in it

They get an "additional material" credit.

Village Branson

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"If past experience is anything to go by, there should be one rather funny sketch among the 13 or so useless ideas that pass without any effect whatsoever.

I went to a couple of recordings of the new series, two episodes per recording. The first evening was one of the best radio shows I've been to,  not a poor sketch in sight.
The other evening, I'll let the dots say it....

Anyway, the ratio should have gone up from 1 in 13 to about 1 in 5, or 2 out of 6 if they keep all the good sketches in a couple of shows.
Worth a listen.

Freezing

Quote from: "jimbobsyouruncle"** bump **

I wish you hadn't.  That was painful.  Was there one original idea in there?  If they'd played a compliation of the many people they've ripped off at least we'd have been treated to some quality Partridge, Python, League Of Gentlemen, Fry and Laurie, etc., etc.

Robin

Am convinced i've heard the depressed, bitter late shift dj  thing before. My housemate thinks im just thinking of  peter cook's sven, but im sure ive heard it done before but can't think  what. Anybody help?

The Duck Man

Alan Partridge perhaps?

Hmmm. All those sketches were too long for one thing - the milk one had a decent idea but should have been a 1/4 of the length. Most of them were pure unfunny though.

Quite liked the Pol Pot one.

benthalo

Quote from: "Robin"Am convinced i've heard the depressed, bitter late shift dj  thing before. My housemate thinks im just thinking of  peter cook's sven, but im sure ive heard it done before but can't think  what. Anybody help?

Newman & Baddiel In Pieces' late-night phone-in sketch? Simon Greenall (?) delivering a volley of very specific observations about the loneliness of the single man, followed by Rob Newman saying "That's right Steve".

One of the few good things in that series.

I only heard a bit of tonight, but the full thing's sitting on the hard drive. "Breathing Space" seemed like a new idea, but underwritten.

Jemble Fred

There were more interesting ideas in that one episode than the other three or four I've heard put together – the layman's Science Fiction raised a few laughs, and the Nazi that's worried about being a baddie.

The thing is, it's still very light on jokes – it's more a case of just displaying the funny idea, hobbling through it, and moving on. If the dialogue was a bit more frothy, I'd make a point never to miss this new series.

Course, it is written by several people, which is a shame. I suppose M&W (Hang on, I can't do that, that's Morecambe & Wise!) Alright, Mitchell & Webb, I suppose, aren't too strong on the writing side.

And The Webb had a bad case of the Brigstoke/Partridge voice throughout.

Freezing

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"The thing is, it's still very light on jokes – it's more a case of just displaying the funny idea, hobbling through it, and moving on. .

Yes, you can see why they thought the sketches would be funny they just weren't.

RFT

minibump

I just listened to this, thanks to pinball posting it in the CDJ thread. I really enjoyed it- the stuff mentioned above madce me laugh, as well as the milk and football sketches.

didn't really like the snooker thing, though. reminded me a lot of Mark and Lard's "Dick and Ken the Snooker Men"...

sgt_toomey

I thought this was about as funny as new radio comedy gets.

And usually Radio 4 insist that new comedy shows need a gimmick, like being set inside the mind of a sleeping dog, but this has been allowed to be just a collection of sketches.

The rant about Football was fantastic (I was there at that recording and he did it all in one take) and the Nazi who is troubled by narrative conventions. Ace.

The Duck Man

Bumpity bump.

Thought this was excellent, as have the previous weeks. My fave was the BMX Bandit/God sketches.

I can't help but wonder who writes what though...

Shindig

Missed it.  Cunts.  Why didn't you tell me sooner?

WHY DID YOU KEEP IT A SECRET!!?

*slap*

Anyway, Wafer Cup footy....

Beagle 2

I thought this was fair to middling last week , the Nazi sketch was brilliant. There, beat that for in depth analysis.

In fact, Pinny I don't suppose you grabbed it did you?

RedboX

Quote from: "Beagle 2"I thought this was fair to middling last week , the Nazi sketch was brilliant. There, beat that for in depth analysis.

In fact, Pinny I don't suppose you grabbed it did you?

Im not Pinny, but...

Series 2

Episode 1:
http://rapidshare.de/files/697795/M_W-20050210-B01.mp3.html

Episode 2:
http://rapidshare.de/files/697931/M_W-20050217-B02.mp3.html

Episode 3:
http://rapidshare.de/files/698062/M_W-20050224-B03.mp3.html

Episode 4:
http://rapidshare.de/files/757611/M_W-20050303-B04.mp3.html

RFT

thansk for that- i'd missed episode 2. for some reason, the corner shop sketch, despite being very predictable, had me in stitches...

Pinball

Quote from: "RedboX"Im not Pinny, but I got them all..
Cheers Redbox! Saves me some uploading!

This is truely the information age :-)

Beagle 2

Thanks a lot for this finally managed to grab these, really enjoyed them, great stuff.

Darrell

Quote from: "Fishbulb"Anyone have episode 5?

It was a four part series!

Fishbulb

Hmm, you sure? I see a "Series 2, Episode 5" file on the bbc newsgroup, but unfortunately the file is incomplete on my server.

frogboyflips

There is def an eposide 5! I listened to it on the radio on thu, and its not the same as any of the other eposides taht have been posted!

RedBox where do you get them from to post here? This is the  only place in the world i could find them!

~ANDY~

The Duck Man