Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:18:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sif

Started by Barry Admin, January 22, 2024, 05:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

druss

Quote from: Kelvin on January 23, 2024, 07:35:54 PMI also did another run on DS Remastered recently, over Christmas. Felt like I had some unfinished business with Ornstein and Smough, as last time I played I found it weirdly hard to beat them, even after over-levelling. Hadn't found it anywhere near that difficult on previous runs.

Anyway, I spent this Christmas playing through the first half of the game, arrived at Ornstein and Smough, and came really close to beating them after only a few tries. Started the fight again, then decided to clear out some videos on my Switch so I could save a video of me kicking the shit out of them, for posterity. Only I'd forgotten that Dark Souls doesn't pause when you enter the Switch menu, and when I returned to the game after a few minutes, Giant Smough had zero health for some reason, and just keeled over right in front of me.

I was utterly robbed of my redemption. And I still have unfinished business with Ornstein and Smough.
Can't remember exactly what triggers it but there is a weird glitch that causes Smough to fall through the floor or something. And some people call it a hard boss fight!

Of course it actually is a hard a boss fight. I'd beaten them using an SL1 character recently so I assumed going in with a shieldless, but otherwise normal, character would be a piece of piss.

Not so! Or at least not on the first couple of attempts, where I mistakenly assumed I could just stay close to both and flawlessly dodge all of their attacks without having to worry, as this is now considered one of the easier games in the series of course. But you can't approach it like a DS3 or Elden Ring boss as you don't have the mobility. Probably the best fight in the game, for a while Artorias was my favourite but he is actually very easy when you know his attack patterns. O and S are always doable but never trivial (unless you just use Havel's set, which I haven't done for a while as it sets every boss to easy mode).

Barry Admin

Took me all fucking night to work out what I have left to do in this playthrough. I've nearly been through areas like Crystal Caves backwards cause the lordvessel warps didn't really give me a sense of where I had to go next.

But I'm a darkwraith, I presumably did the DLC before meeting Sif so I can get the cutscene. I seem to have to do Demon Ruins now and maybe save Solaire. I can go and twat Gwyn whenever. So I'll just explore more then go and murder everyone and go to my second ever NG+.

druss

I don't think you can be a dark wraith and get the Sif cutscene as to be a dark wraith you need to kill the four kings before you place the Lord vessel and you can't get to the dlc without placing the Lord vessel.

dontpaintyourteeth

Barry Admin

Quote from: druss on January 24, 2024, 07:32:25 AMI don't think you can be a dark wraith and get the Sif cutscene as to be a dark wraith you need to kill the four kings before you place the Lord vessel and you can't get to the dlc without placing the Lord vessel.

It's actually driving me insane tbh, I know I had a bunch of notes on my old phone about stuff I'd traded to Snuggly and places I still had to go.  I'm going through my items and walking around lost, trying to figure out what else is left to do.

I saw this last night which backs up what you said too, but I'll visit Sif and confirm, cause I'm sure I was doing a walkthrough where you got the alternate cutscene. I should likely just kill yer man and Kalameet and get a new game going. 

Edit: yeah dead. Oh well.

Noodle Lizard

Oof, Ornstein and Smough are tough. I got to the second phase on my first try, albeit with 0 Estus and a tiny bit of health left, but every other attempt has seen me getting shagged in short order. I've never been good at duo boss fights (I always Sleep Pot the Godskin Duo, and the Valiant Gargoyles gave me grief for longer than Malenia!)

I think I've messed up my build a bit too by accidentally sending my Claymore on the Raw upgrade path (+5), and I can't be arsed farming for the Large Titanite to undo it and start again. I'm doing okayish damage, so I suppose it can wait.

I didn't care for Blighttown or the Depths. It wasn't nearly as bad as I'd been led to believe, thanks mostly to the fixed framerate issues in Remastered, but I've never found the challenge of From's poison hell areas to be particularly rewarding. I think they made a decent version of this sort of thing with the Subterranean Shunning Grounds in Elden Ring (I think all of the poison fucklands in ER are optional as well).

Sen's Fortress was a hoot. Total bullshit, but in a way which felt deliberate and, most importantly, fun - as well as frustrating, of course. I found myself laughing at my deaths more often than throwing a tantrum.

Chollis

Inspired by this thread to have another crack at DS3, I dropped it months ago after getting pummeled in the High Wall of Lothric (starter area) because maxing Sekiro apparently made me forget how to play Souls combat. Back in the swing of things now and currently getting stomped by the Abyss Watcher after making it through the poison hell bit at Farron Castle. I looked at a couple of vids and they're all "yeah this is a super easy boss, very straightforward" - the moveset doesn't look crazy but the fire trail he leaves after attacks and the sheer amount of damage he's doing when he connects is a problem. I've been pumping Endurance up because I hate how restrictive the Stamina bar is after playing Sekiro but my lack of Vigor might be backfiring now.

I've been using a fast Straight Sword so far which generally seems effective when I just spam R1 but it's getting dull already and it hasn't got enough reach for my taste, the special attacks in particular are close to useless on some enemies because of the lack of range. Maybe I'll go back to the Katana that served me so well in ER and Sekiro.

This guy is the first "proper" boss I think, one of the Lords of Cinder, so hopefully I've got lots more to come but my impressions so far tally with the general view on DS3 being the most generic, middle-of-the-road title of the series. It's lacking in personality compared to the others I've played, none of the zones or bosses have stood out so far. Admittedly I've played these in an an arse-about way, Elden Ring, Sekiro, DS1 until I got to Blighttown (I will return to it one day) so my expectations are probably unfair.

edit: just beat Abyss Watcher dont worry about it

Noodle Lizard

Abyss Watchers gave me a hard time too, don't worry. The Greatsword you can get from him is excellent, though.

DS3 gets much more interesting as it goes on, after the admittedly "meh" opening areas. Once you're through the catacombs it's pretty consistently great. Some incredible bosses ahead of you.

Barry Admin

My Ds2 and DS3 discs don't load anymore, so I'm trying a new Elden Ring playthrough! Faith build. Then maybe back to Remastered to finish things off, I need to farm loads of souls to buy shit before I go to NG+.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 25, 2024, 06:55:17 AMMy Ds2 and DS3 discs don't load anymore, so I'm trying a new Elden Ring playthrough! Faith build. Then maybe back to Remastered to finish things off, I need to farm loads of souls to buy shit before I go to NG+.

Faith is fun, but it doesn't really get going until the midgame. I'm not sure there are many Faith-oriented weapons in the starting areas.

——

I got Ornstein & Smough, but I had to summon Solaire for it. Doing it on my own was TOO HARD, frustratingly so, but as soon as I had another player to draw aggro it became a lot more manageable. I wonder if it's supposed to be played that way.

Took a jaunt through the Painted World but chose not to kill the lady boss there (yet). I'm especially wary of making the "wrong choices", since it seems like this game has more potential to irreparably screw up than the others.

druss

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 25, 2024, 07:19:12 AMFaith is fun, but it doesn't really get going until the midgame. I'm not sure there are many Faith-oriented weapons in the starting areas.

——

I got Ornstein & Smough, but I had to summon Solaire for it. Doing it on my own was TOO HARD, frustratingly so, but as soon as I had another player to draw aggro it became a lot more manageable. I wonder if it's supposed to be played that way.

Took a jaunt through the Painted World but chose not to kill the lady boss there (yet). I'm especially wary of making the "wrong choices", since it seems like this game has more potential to irreparably screw up than the others.
If you want to know whether you can safely kill Priscilla:
Spoiler alert
you can with zero consequences. Very interesting fight too, enjoy!
[close]

Nice one on O and S. I summoned Solaire the first time I killed them, the genius of the fight is that it definitely works very well as a co-op fight and is probably designed as such but is also perfectly balanced for a solo run. Very different to the godskin duo which is fucking bullshit. I haven't watched any no hit runs of Elden Ring but I'd be shocked if they don't use sleep pots for that fight, whereas O and S don't require cheese.

If I'm patient then I'll usually have a fair bit of estus left these days when fighting them and I'm not sure if I even got hit doing my level 1 run as it's pretty much one shot and you're dead.

Quote from: Chollis on January 25, 2024, 01:49:00 AMInspired by this thread to have another crack at DS3, I dropped it months ago after getting pummeled in the High Wall of Lothric (starter area) because maxing Sekiro apparently made me forget how to play Souls combat. Back in the swing of things now and currently getting stomped by the Abyss Watcher after making it through the poison hell bit at Farron Castle. I looked at a couple of vids and they're all "yeah this is a super easy boss, very straightforward" - the moveset doesn't look crazy but the fire trail he leaves after attacks and the sheer amount of damage he's doing when he connects is a problem. I've been pumping Endurance up because I hate how restrictive the Stamina bar is after playing Sekiro but my lack of Vigor might be backfiring now.

I've been using a fast Straight Sword so far which generally seems effective when I just spam R1 but it's getting dull already and it hasn't got enough reach for my taste, the special attacks in particular are close to useless on some enemies because of the lack of range. Maybe I'll go back to the Katana that served me so well in ER and Sekiro.

This guy is the first "proper" boss I think, one of the Lords of Cinder, so hopefully I've got lots more to come but my impressions so far tally with the general view on DS3 being the most generic, middle-of-the-road title of the series. It's lacking in personality compared to the others I've played, none of the zones or bosses have stood out so far. Admittedly I've played these in an an arse-about way, Elden Ring, Sekiro, DS1 until I got to Blighttown (I will return to it one day) so my expectations are probably unfair.

edit: just beat Abyss Watcher dont worry about it
Nice one, souls games are weird in that some bosses seem easy to some but you'll probably find a supposed "hard" boss being no trouble. Abyss watchers have always been okay for me but I spent hours on some of the other bosses that are meant to be easier.

I've started a DS2 playthrough and really loving the vibe at the moment. Slightly dreading the relative sparseness and linearity of DS3 when I get to it. Recently decided that 3 was in fact better than 2 but I'm starting to think that 3 might drop to the bottom of the pile again even if it does have the best gameplay.

Trying to think what criteria these games could be judged on in order to create a NO MORE BULLSHIT definitive ranking list. So far I have:

Atmosphere
Gameplay
Story/lore
World Design
Character customisation/build variety/viability

Anything missing? NPCs was a possibility to add but I think that would come under story/lore. Would 'Bosses' be its own category?

Schlippy

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 25, 2024, 12:19:55 AMI think I've messed up my build a bit too by accidentally sending my Claymore on the Raw upgrade path (+5), and I can't be arsed farming for the Large Titanite to undo it and start again. I'm doing okayish damage, so I suppose it can wait.

Raw's only really useful at low levels, once you start building some stats the scaling bonuses always outweigh the upfront boost from raw damage. If you don't wanna undo the claymore the bastard sword is available from Andre, has the same moveset & scaling and even pips the claymore damage-wise when fully upgraded. Or do the right thing and go full ZWEIHANDER.

druss

Quote from: Schlippy on January 25, 2024, 08:43:30 AMRaw's only really useful at low levels, once you start building some stats the scaling bonuses always outweigh the upfront boost from raw damage. If you don't wanna undo the claymore the bastard sword is available from Andre, has the same moveset & scaling and even pips the claymore damage-wise when fully upgraded. Or do the right thing and go full ZWEIHANDER.
+1 for zweihander. Best weapon in the game for me.

You can buy large titanite from the giant blacksmith for 3800 each I believe. Chunks can be a bitch to farm though.

madhair60

The Crumb

Quote from: drussTrying to think what criteria these games could be judged on in order to create a NO MORE BULLSHIT definitive ranking list. So far I have:

Atmosphere
Gameplay
Story/lore
World Design
Character customisation/build variety/viability

Anything missing? NPCs was a possibility to add but I think that would come under story/lore. Would 'Bosses' be its own category?

You'd probably need Covenants/Multiplayer in there for people so inclined.

Size vs consistency would factor in as well. DS3 feels relatively tiny but doesn't have the quality dip of DS1's second half.

Slightly separate to gameplay I'd consider higher level design/mechanics - availability of fast travel, levelling at bonfires vs a specific character, hollowing/humanity/embering, bonfire ascetics, weapon upgrading and degradation etc.

I look forward to the spreadsheet!

druss

Quote from: The Crumb on January 25, 2024, 11:41:53 AMYou'd probably need Covenants/Multiplayer in there for people so inclined.

Size vs consistency would factor in as well. DS3 feels relatively tiny but doesn't have the quality dip of DS1's second half.

Slightly separate to gameplay I'd consider higher level design/mechanics - availability of fast travel, levelling at bonfires vs a specific character, hollowing/humanity/embering, bonfire ascetics, weapon upgrading and degradation etc.

I look forward to the spreadsheet!
I haven't done a lot of pvp/multiplayer stuff but you're absolutely right, it should be included.

I think the other stuff you mention is definitely important but I would probably have them as part of either gameplay or world design for simplicity.

Ok I've talked myself into making a thread about this now, have recently replayed DeS and DS1 and currently replaying DS2 so I'll do something soon!

Noodle Lizard

I'd love a dedicated thread about that, or just a general Soulsborne/FromSoft thread since it's often hard to talk about one without the others - as evidenced by my clogging this subforum up with threads about them all over the past year or two!

As well as just getting through the games, I've become a bit obsessed with their world-building and design philosophy, as well as the storytelling devices. I really love the tales of how Miyazaki came up with some of these unusual decisions, hagiographic though they might be; the storytelling method derived from his reading fantasy books in a foreign language as a child, the co-op system derived from an experience of strangers silently helping his family push their car up a snowy hill etc.

In an era so oversaturated with games trying to be movies, these games feel perhaps even more special. The depth of lore in the Soulsbornes - as well as its disjointed delivery via discovery - could only realistically be executed via the medium of videogames, with every aspect of its design serving (or at least in accordance with) its concept, although it's interesting to consider the ways one might take inspiration from this approach in other art forms.

Chollis

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 25, 2024, 02:18:30 AMOnce you're through the catacombs it's pretty consistently great.

Oh yeah, catacombs might be one of my least favorite zones ever. Gank squads, ceiling blobs and respawning skeletons in tight corridors - yuck. Irithyll on the other hand - this is more like it! Found some good farm spots here and got my Vigor up to the softcap, trying to get Faith up a bit too so I can put some cool Lightning or some shit on my weapon. Just took down Pontiff on my first attempt of the day after getting slapped around by him last night, always the way isn't it. Really great boss. Soon as I started utilizing my shield and stopped trying roll out of his hyper-aggressive combos it all came together.

Immediately after that, with my nice fresh Ember buff, I get invaded by what I'm assuming is a PvPer because he's got a weird name and is lagging all over the place, 2 shots me with his UGS. I guess I can turn this off by disabling my in-game connection or something? I generally haven't been using Embers from my inventory, only getting them after I've killed a boss, and every time I get Embered I get summoned to someone else's world or invaded within minutes and I can't really be arsed with that. I'm not particularly interested in PvP when it comes to Souls games, partly because it's always very laggy for me and it's hard to judge if my attacks are even going to connect.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Chollis on January 26, 2024, 05:30:39 PMJust took down Pontiff on my first attempt of the day after getting slapped around by him last night, always the way isn't it.

Nice job! He gave me a lot of grief my first time around (I had a terrible, clueless build to be fair), but he's a fun fight.

Quote from: Chollis on January 26, 2024, 05:30:39 PMImmediately after that, with my nice fresh Ember buff, I get invaded by what I'm assuming is a PvPer because he's got a weird name and is lagging all over the place, 2 shots me with his UGS. Is there a way I can turn that off? I generally haven't been using Embers from my inventory, only getting them after I've killed a boss, and every time I get summoned to someone else's world or invaded within minutes and I can't really be arsed with that.

The area immediately after Pontiff is a PvP hotspot, I always got invaded there.

You shouldn't be getting summoned elsewhere unless you've used the item for it, but as for being invaded you could always just play offline. I like to stay online for the messages, generally remained unembered for most of the game.

druss

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 25, 2024, 06:08:12 PMI'd love a dedicated thread about that, or just a general Soulsborne/FromSoft thread since it's often hard to talk about one without the others - as evidenced by my clogging this subforum up with threads about them all over the past year or two!

As well as just getting through the games, I've become a bit obsessed with their world-building and design philosophy, as well as the storytelling devices. I really love the tales of how Miyazaki came up with some of these unusual decisions, hagiographic though they might be; the storytelling method derived from his reading fantasy books in a foreign language as a child, the co-op system derived from an experience of strangers silently helping his family push their car up a snowy hill etc.

In an era so oversaturated with games trying to be movies, these games feel perhaps even more special. The depth of lore in the Soulsbornes - as well as its disjointed delivery via discovery - could only realistically be executed via the medium of videogames, with every aspect of its design serving (or at least in accordance with) its concept, although it's interesting to consider the ways one might take inspiration from this approach in other art forms.
Beautifully put. Their games really do feel unique. I think there is a place for Witcher 3 style quests and writing (they are fantastic) but I'm glad that both styles exist and that From do their thing. They manage to say more with less better than any other game company.

Quote from: Chollis on January 26, 2024, 05:30:39 PMOh yeah, catacombs might be one of my least favorite zones ever. Gank squads, ceiling blobs and respawning skeletons in tight corridors - yuck. Irithyll on the other hand - this is more like it! Found some good farm spots here and got my Vigor up to the softcap, trying to get Faith up a bit too so I can put some cool Lightning or some shit on my weapon. Just took down Pontiff on my first attempt of the day after getting slapped around by him last night, always the way isn't it. Really great boss. Soon as I started utilizing my shield and stopped trying roll out of his hyper-aggressive combos it all came together.

Immediately after that, with my nice fresh Ember buff, I get invaded by what I'm assuming is a PvPer because he's got a weird name and is lagging all over the place, 2 shots me with his UGS. I guess I can turn this off by disabling my in-game connection or something? I generally haven't been using Embers from my inventory, only getting them after I've killed a boss, and every time I get Embered I get summoned to someone else's world or invaded within minutes and I can't really be arsed with that. I'm not particularly interested in PvP when it comes to Souls games, partly because it's always very laggy for me and it's hard to judge if my attacks are even going to connect.
Good job on Pontiff, he was my biggest wall along with a certain duo you have yet to face in Lothric.

As Noodle says, the area just after Pontiff is a PvP spot. As long as you don't use another ember you shouldn't get invaded (you automatically become embered after beating a boss).

Chollis

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 26, 2024, 05:41:23 PMYou shouldn't be getting summoned elsewhere unless you've used the item for it, but as for being invaded you could always just play offline. I like to stay online for the messages, generally remained unembered for most of the game.

Fair enough. I definitely haven't used any items from my inventory, I only get summoned/invaded whenever I have the Ember buff. So I guess if I want to keep that buff for PvE I'll have to turn off network and lose messages - mostly shite but can be useful. There are some that make me laugh despite how predictable they are - "could this be a boulder?" in front of a wall of rocks got me last night. Had to be there.

Quote from: druss on January 26, 2024, 06:49:52 PMGood job on Pontiff, he was my biggest wall along with a certain duo you have yet to face in Lothric.

As Noodle says, the area just after Pontiff is a PvP spot. As long as you don't use another ember you shouldn't get invaded (you automatically become embered after beating a boss).

Oof, duo bosses. I think I'm in the minority in that I actually enjoyed Godskin Duo! Had a far harder time with the Twin Gargoyles. Probably comes down to what build/weapon you're using.

What build/weaps were you two using? I'm always interested in how other people approach this stuff. I always go for fairly fast weapons with a versatile STR/DEX build, with enough Faith to enchant my weapons with something snazzy. Reading the Reddit it seems that either dual-wielding (Sellsword Winblades) or Greatswords and the like are hugely popular but I'm so bad with either. The fast sword I'm using is mostly great but it's definitely missing the stagger/poise damage from other weapons. Think I've maybe staggered an enemy twice in my entire runthrough so far.

druss

Quote from: Chollis on January 26, 2024, 08:01:13 PMFair enough. I definitely haven't used any items from my inventory, I only get summoned/invaded whenever I have the Ember buff. So I guess if I want to keep that buff for PvE I'll have to turn off network and lose messages - mostly shite but can be useful. There are some that make me laugh despite how predictable they are - "could this be a boulder?" in front of a wall of rocks got me last night. Had to be there.

Oof, duo bosses. I think I'm in the minority in that I actually enjoyed Godskin Duo! Had a far harder time with the Twin Gargoyles. Probably comes down to what build/weapon you're using.

What build/weaps were you two using? I'm always interested in how other people approach this stuff. I always go for fairly fast weapons with a versatile STR/DEX build, with enough Faith to enchant my weapons with something snazzy. Reading the Reddit it seems that either dual-wielding (Sellsword Winblades) or Greatswords and the like are hugely popular but I'm so bad with either. The fast sword I'm using is mostly great but it's definitely missing the stagger/poise damage from other weapons. Think I've maybe staggered an enemy twice in my entire runthrough so far.

First run through I used a big fuck off weapon and went high strength (great club I think). It took me a while to get onboard the sellsword twinblade hype, had two starts where they didn't click but finally finished a run with them towards the end of last year. To give some perspective on how good they are, I killed the two hardest Ringed City DLC bosses on my first attempt. The other two bosses of that DLC took me 2 tries as I was a bit careless. On my first run through that DLC I literally couldn't beat a certain dragon and had to change builds to use a supposed cheese method that still took me half a dozen or so attempts. Twinblades really are winblades.

I might actually follow your lead when I replay DS3 soon and try using miracles as support, sounds quite fun. I've done it in the other games including Elden Ring but not in DS3 for some reason.

Noodle Lizard

Hm. I'm hitting a bit of a wall with DS1 again. I'm sort of bouncing around between places, but none of them are particularly enjoyable. I finally found the titular Sif, which was a nice fight albeit way too easy since I've fought a version of that boss in each of the following games. Perhaps I was supposed to do it a lot sooner.

I cleared the Catacombs and did that ridiculous boss, only to be roadblocked by a lack of light source for Tomb of the Giants. Had a look at New Londo, but I don't want to waste the items needed to make that playable yet. I did the Ceaseless Discharge fight, saw a bunch of Taurus Demons sitting at the bottom and just turned it off for the night and tried Lies of P instead (surprisingly fun).

I'm committed to finishing it, and I know I've got the DLC to look forward to, but I'm losing the spark a bit.

druss

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 27, 2024, 07:51:22 AMHm. I'm hitting a bit of a wall with DS1 again. I'm sort of bouncing around between places, but none of them are particularly enjoyable. I finally found the titular Sif, which was a nice fight albeit way too easy since I've fought a version of that boss in each of the following games. Perhaps I was supposed to do it a lot sooner.

I cleared the Catacombs and did that ridiculous boss, only to be roadblocked by a lack of light source for Tomb of the Giants. Had a look at New Londo, but I don't want to waste the items needed to make that playable yet. I did the Ceaseless Discharge fight, saw a bunch of Taurus Demons sitting at the bottom and just turned it off for the night and tried Lies of P instead (surprisingly fun).

I'm committed to finishing it, and I know I've got the DLC to look forward to, but I'm losing the spark a bit.
Have you placed the lordvessel? You need to speak to Frampt at fire link after Anor Londo to do that. Basically your 4 paths now are either new Londo (you have just acquired an item that will let you traverse the abyss, don't drop down after the boss fog wall without it on!), demon ruins which you are currently at which culminates in contender for worst ever boss (looks awesome though), tomb of the giants (you can get a head torch if you explore the Demon Ruins path thoroughly) and the Duke's _Archive which is in Anor Londo.

Your experience of losing a bit of steam after O & S is a common one but there are still plenty of good moments to go, plus some really great bosses in the DLC.

Noodle Lizard

Pushing on. I finally sucked it up and cleared New Londo and the Four Kings, who seemed impossible at first until I learned (looked up) that Havel's Armor trivialises them. I didn't think it would actually trivialise them but there you go, first try after putting that ridiculous costume on. I'd feel worse about it if I didn't hate that runback so much.

I looked up how to get into the DLC and did all of that. I killed the Sanctuary Guardian with no problem (finally upgraded my Black Knight Sword, which is slow but seems to do great damage) and had a quick poke around, but I don't want to advance too far there yet.

I could go and do the Duke's Archives, but I suppose I should really get back to the Tomb of the Giants or Demon Ruins first shouldn't I? Shit.

The F Bomb

Duke's Archives and beyond are actually pretty good/interesting areas, albeit you'll recognise elements from subsequent Souls games. It's a bit DS2 vibe. TotG is one of my least favourite ever, partly because the lack of visibility shits me up but also because it has little identity beyond that. Last section is a bit better, some mildly interesting elements. Great boss. Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith and boss get a lot of justified flak and again, you will recognise plenty of pasted elements in DS3/ER.

You're nearly there now, worth pushing through couple of crap bits for Duke's and the DLC.

druss

Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith get too much stick imo. Demon ruins the level is fine. The lava bit in lost Izalith is obviously unfinished but the stuff with Siegmeyer and Solaire is great, and there are some interesting set pieces and architecture in both areas. Unfortunately it has a reskin boss, an annoying boss and a god tier of bullshit boss.

Even unfinished and with the shite bosses it is still a million times better than the DS3 equivalent area though, which might be worse than the frigid outskirts.

druss

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 28, 2024, 08:06:07 AMPushing on. I finally sucked it up and cleared New Londo and the Four Kings, who seemed impossible at first until I learned (looked up) that Havel's Armor trivialises them. I didn't think it would actually trivialise them but there you go, first try after putting that ridiculous costume on. I'd feel worse about it if I didn't hate that runback so much.

I looked up how to get into the DLC and did all of that. I killed the Sanctuary Guardian with no problem (finally upgraded my Black Knight Sword, which is slow but seems to do great damage) and had a quick poke around, but I don't want to advance too far there yet.

I could go and do the Duke's Archives, but I suppose I should really get back to the Tomb of the Giants or Demon Ruins first shouldn't I? Shit.
If you get to the second bonfire in tomb of the giants you can run to the boss pretty quickly if you can't be arsed with the skeleton dogs. You can probably tackle the DLC now if you want but the Duke's, Demon Ruins and tomb will feel like a bit of an anticlimax comparatively.

There's not much in the Royal Wood section of the DLC so feel free to get to the boss fairly quickly when you do tackle it as the meat of the DLC is the first boss and onwards (don't forget the shortcut when you get to the fog wall).

Schlippy

From where you are, if you clear demon's ruins & lost izalith you'll have put the worst of it behind you. As others have noted, demon's ruins is clearly unfinished but there's actually some interesting stuff off the beaten path in lost izalith, it's just that the stage 10 cancer of bosses waiting for you at the end tends to make you forget about all that.

Everything else is pretty good, I reckon, and if you leave the DLC until you're done with all four lord souls you'll get some nice dessert after your greens.

Edit: there's a couple of hidden areas you may have missed way back near the start of the game that are worth checking out before you wrap things up too. One you can come across via normal exploration if you're thorough, but another is super sneaky and you'll almost certainly have missed it without a guide.

Noodle Lizard

Alright, got a fair amount done today - although I ignored your advice and went ahead and did the DLC instead. Not intentionally, I went in there looking for some soul items and got a bit carried away.

Artorias is great. Difficult! I had to get nearly naked and play it more like an Elden Ring boss, as my knight armour and shield wasn't doing me any good. Once I did that, it became a lot more manageable. Solid fight.

Manus I got first try, somehow. I did summon Sif because we all like him, and I enjoyed playing alongside a dog with a sword. I think I mostly lucked my way through it, getting up close and whacking away at his legs. I got hit a lot but he didn't seem to do all that much damage - dunno if the Silver Knight's Armour has any particular resistances to him. Good fight, I just feel bad that I didn't really get to learn it.

I think I found Kalameet's arena before Artorias - at least I found a little lakebed where I promptly got incinerated. I'll have to have a look tomorrow.

In the base game, I went and found Gwyndolin. I'm probably a bit overleveled for him by now, but he did manage to kill me once. He sounded like a right plummy wanker, so I wasn't sad to put him down.

Onto the fucking Demon Ruins, then.