Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:30:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 23-24 Part 2: The VAR Apocalypse

Started by Wonderful Butternut, November 08, 2023, 09:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wonderful Butternut

Marcus Rashford kicks off the latest soccer thread by nearly breaking a bloke's leg.

To be fair, there's no intention there, but recklessness doesn't necessarily need intention.

Man U 2 up at the time, game back to 2-2. Most Man U thing ever.

badaids

This game is shaping up to be bonkers so I might have to find a way to watch it.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: badaids on November 08, 2023, 09:08:10 PMThis game is shaping up to be bonkers so I might have to find a way to watch it.

I hear that googling something like "foot E bite" and following the link to "Si Kling streams" might help, if you have a decent adblocker (or if you are just interested in online betting and horny single milfs in your area).

I switched over to the Arsenal game at 30 minutes because Copenhagen seemed to have laid down and let Man Utd widdle all over them. Only just checked the score!

badaids

VAR really is ruining the game. It's getting to the point where teams will be fielding upper limb amputees in Defence.

Mobius

At least both teams got a dumb penalty

I just tuned in after watching Martinelli roast Sevilla, and Copenhagen have just equalised in extra time. Good old United

badaids

Mobius

Kankurette

It's 3-3 now. Bruno the Wonder Horse scored a penalty, some guy called Lerager got the equaliser. Oh wait, no it isn't, it's 4-3.

bgmnts

Mobius

He's been an FM wonderkid for years has Bardghji

Kankurette

Kankurette

MAGUIRE NO

ETA: they've got Steve Bruce on commentary, OMFG

phantom_power

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on November 08, 2023, 09:03:25 PMMarcus Rashford kicks off the latest soccer thread by nearly breaking a bloke's leg.

To be fair, there's no intention there, but recklessness doesn't necessarily need intention.

Man U 2 up at the time, game back to 2-2. Most Man U thing ever.

It wasn't reckless though. He just put his foot down and the other bloke's ankle just happened to be under it. He didn't lunge or have his feet off the ground. He just stepped out wide to shield the ball at the same time as the other player put his foot there.

The handball was a fucking joke as well. I am not sure how Maguire is supposed to move his arm out of the way in the 0.3 seconds he had from the ball pinging off the other player's foot

DrGreggles

Just watched the highlights - hilarious stuff.
Maguire's handball was particularly funny, as he only had his arms out because he was trying to grab hold of the striker.
The other pen seemed a bit harsh, but those just get given now, so might as well get used to it.
Why did the Rashford sending off take so long? Clear cut on the first replay, yet it took 5 minutes.

Oh, and Man U's #17 (whoever you are), you keep shushing, mate!

Inspector Norse

Quote from: phantom_power on November 08, 2023, 10:49:12 PMThe handball was a fucking joke as well. I am not sure how Maguire is supposed to move his arm out of the way in the 0.3 seconds he had from the ball pinging off the other player's foot

Just wait until you see the penalty Utd were awarded. Look closely to see whose hand it hits first...

bgmnts

Probably shouldn't lift your foot 3 feet off the ground after having a quick look at the player coming in to 'shield the ball', almost breaking a player's ankle in the process.

Reckless or not, it doesn't seem safe.

It was quite funny to see the ball bounce off Maguire's fingers onto the Copenhagen defender's arm as well.

centristmelt

What a glorious way to start a new thread though, love Man United's continuing and per-PEP-tual decline.

DrGreggles

Quote from: bgmnts on November 08, 2023, 11:14:40 PMProbably shouldn't lift your foot 3 feet off the ground after having a quick look at the player coming in to 'shield the ball', almost breaking a player's ankle in the process.

Reckless or not, it doesn't seem safe.

Literally endangering an opponent. Lucky it didn't break a bone.

Obviously Rashford didn't mean to come down on the other guy's leg ("not that sort of player for me, Clive"), but he did - intent is irrelevant.

Gulftastic

Weirdly, the Glazers aren't trending today. The VAR decisions seems to have spared them the blame for the latest Man Utd defeat.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 09, 2023, 12:24:51 AMLiterally endangering an opponent. Lucky it didn't break a bone.

Obviously Rashford didn't mean to come down on the other guy's leg ("not that sort of player for me, Clive"), but he did - intent is irrelevant.

bizarre

dontpaintyourteeth

Look, I don't know about any of this red card bollocks, it's just very funny when Man U lose

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 09, 2023, 09:19:07 AMWhy?

Intent is important. Imagine Rashford is bombing along, a small child throws an ice cream on the pitch and Rashford slips, colliding heavily with a player and killing him. Red card?

Yes, according to Greggles.