Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:45:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Films

Started by TJ, April 13, 2006, 10:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neveragain

Catalogue Trousers

Just to bump this:

The Adventures Of Barry MacKenzie. How could I have forgotten this? A prime piece of Britcom from the early 70s, based pretty closely on the Private Eye strip, about as subtle as a bucket of lard but genuinely bloody funny. Whether it's Dennis Price's perverted British relative - school uniform and all - or Barry's mates saving the BBC Television Centre from flaming destruction by an act of massed urination, the whole thing is a crass, demented joy from start to finish, aided by a strong contender for Best Theme Song Ever and great performances all down the line, from Barry Crocker's bemused titular Antipodean ingenue to cameos by the likes of Spike Milligan and William Rushton.

I haven't seen the sequel, Barry MacKenzie Holds His Own, yet - but I very much want to.

"You wouldn't read about it!"

Jemble Fred

I never could get through Barry McKenzie. Had the DVD for ages, purely for the Peter Cook appearance really, but had to turn it off after a bit, having hated every minute, never ever fancied trying with it again, lost the DVD.

This is scientific proof that it takes diff'rent strokes to rule the world, or whatever.

neveragain

Is Groundhog Day too mainstream to mention here?

Just brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. There's no other film I can think of that creates such a believably depressing environment without turning too morose and that manages to pull off such a convincing character development at the end - he has been there for a few thousand years, that's how I always view it. Saying that (about the convincing etc), I'm not fond of the last two lines but apart from those there's no other way I could fault it*. Also, it's such a fantastic engrossing concept.

*Oh, actually the beginning set-up lasts far too long and the film-proper could have done with a bit more time, ironically enough.

Little Hoover

I think Groundhog Day should be noted for the fact that a scene of someone jumping to their death from a tall building is the most hilarious scene in the movie.

Purple Tentacle

It is indeed wonderful. Except for one thing... Andie MacDowell (my nemesis), the woman who can suck all the sexuality and fun out of any great film.

God forbid anything should be 'too mainstream' to mention on here, anybody who complains that something is 'too mainstream' needs to grow some pubic hair.

The last two lines are fantastic though!
He doesn't really mean it! He's still a bastard! I love 'em!

neveragain

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"God forbid anything should be 'too mainstream' to mention on here, anybody who complains that something is 'too mainstream' needs to grow some pubic hair.

I only mentioned that because of TJ's proviso that this thread be about the noteworthy comedy films not oft-mentioned in the public parlance (i.e. My Vampire's A Motorcycle etc).

Felatio Imperative

Quote from: "Charles Charlie Charles"Man Bites Dog
My favourite Belgian film. Ever. Funny, nasty and great comedy acting.

If you like that you may like 'Visitor Q' by Takashi Miike, possibly one of the weirdest and most taboo-breaking films ever, yet surprisingly touching and life affirming.
'Audition' and 'Ichi The Killer' are worth checking out too.

Justandy

Not exactly a comedy film but the Takeshi Kitano re-make of 'Zatoichi' has got some laugh out loud moments in it.   The next door neighbour's mentally deficient young lad who wants to be a Samurai and thinks the best way to acheive his aim is by wearing scanty underpants and running round the neighbourhood with a stick going, "RRRAAAAAAAARGGHHHHHHH..!!", made me laugh.   The way he interrupts obstensibly dialogue-led scenes by rushing past in the background screaming, "RRRAAAAAAAAAARGGHHHHHHHHHH..!!" just got funnier and funnier.

The, 'Does make up make you more beautiful.?', stuff's pretty funny too.

the midnight watch baboon

Quote from: "Charles Charlie Charles"Man Bites Dog
My favourite Belgian film. Ever. Funny, nasty and great comedy acting.

Is this the one when the guy's politely talking to a pensioner in her flat and suddenly shouts really loudly at her so she has a heart attack?

Roger Byrne

Catholic Boys, which inexplicably hasn't been released on DVD.

EDIT: It turns out that it is released uder its US title, Heaven Help Us. For bargain prices on Amazon marketplace too, excellent!

uncle_rico

Quote from: "Roger Byrne"Catholic Boys, which inexplicably hasn't been released on DVD.

EDIT: It turns out that it is released uder its US title, Heaven Help Us. For bargain prices on Amazon marketplace too, excellent!
Shit, I haven't seen Catholic Boys since the mid 90's. I remember liking it, though I found it quite depressing in parts(that bastard Brother Constance played by Jay Patterson. I had to check on IMDb for his name)

thepuffpastryhangman

Quote from: "TJ"200 Motels - Frank Zappa's garish tale of life on the road in a rock'n'roll band, with more pertinent social commentary than Rob Newman could find exaggerated camp voices for. "Centerville - A Great Place To Bring Up Your Kids!".

It's been countless years since I last saw 200 Motels, and if yall weren't such sticklers for accuracy here...but isn't it "Centerville, a real nice place to bring your kids up"?

I wish he'd made a movie/s of Billy The Mountain and Gregory Peccary. Royalty check is in honey.