Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:23:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The LS Bumblebee

Started by TJ, July 23, 2006, 10:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ

Bit of a longshot, but does anyone have a still or screengrab of the performance of 'The LS Bumblebee' from Not Only But Also?

The Meddler

Some screengrabs I made.  As you can see, the source wasn't terribly good quality but hope they comes in useful.

geeef

Quote from: "The Meddler"Some screengrabs I made.  As you can see, the source wasn't terribly good quality but hope they comes in useful.

That's great to see. I've been looking for the '66 Boxing Day NOBA special for ages. There is the end segment on You Tube, which I guess has surfaced due to the Lennon appearance. Damn, I want to see the whole thing, though. Poo to UK Arena replacing it in the schedules back in the '90s. Yoko, was that your fault?...oh, she ain't here. Still, it shows that the whole thing is out there somewhere, maybe. *sigh*
I spent ages at a record fair, with only £4 left, dithering over whether to buy the 'LS Bumblebee' single or 'Farewell' by Ayesha (song written and produced by Roy Wood in his inimitable style). I plumped for the Bee, and I didn't regret it.
There, a dull snapshot from my record fair going days that you didn't want. Enjoy.
Thanks  for the screengrabs, Meddler!

Craig Torso

Hope this isn't too late, it took me ages to find it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L392KK8G

Bert Thung

Yoko had a repeat of that special cancelled at the last minute during the BBC's fifty years of television celebrations in 1986.

benthalo

There was a NOBA repeat pulled in 2004 from BBC Four's Sixties season, and replaced by an edition of Dee Time. I wonder if that was the same special, and due to the same intervention? The Boxing Day edition really is lovely and deserves to be seen.

Darrell

Quote from: "benthalo"There was a NOBA repeat pulled in 2004 from BBC Four's Sixties season, and replaced by an edition of Dee Time. I wonder if that was the same special, and due to the same intervention?

The pulled show was the at-that-point-recently-recovered episode with Peter Sellers, wasn't it?

I recall it being pulled twice, actually - it was rescheduled and disappeared towards the end of the Sixties Season.

geeef

Quote from: "Craig Torso"Hope this isn't too late, it took me ages to find it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L392KK8G
Lovely stuff, I'd never seen the LS Bumblebee bit of that. Isn't there a bit about the vicar of "Carnaby Street and All-Trends" too? Damn, when will the BBC do a NOBA set of all that is left?
It's odd how Cook tries to get the baby to cry, but that sound-effect doesn't come out on the tv version. The bit with the seagull is good too, C&M were very on the ball with psychedelia, this being '66 and all..'Tomorrow Never Knows' had a saturated tape-loop of seagull cries in the opening. You'd think it was more likely to be made in '67, when this kind of stuff really kicked in. A parody on Boxing Day '66 was very early.
Anyway, thanks for that, I really enjoyed seeing the video for the song.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Wow - thank you Mr Torso. That was so lovely to see. I had no idea they'd performed the L.S Bumblebee on NOBA. Loved the way Peter held his sitar like a machine gun, and then the prodding of the baby. But as Rudi says, weird that the baby sound effect is missing. For people watching at the time, they must've wondered what the hell Cook was doing.

Anyway, yeah, this must surely be the earliest psychedelia parody. Man, those cats were hip...

But why on Earth would Yoko disallow a repeat or DVD release of this? Also, does she really have that power? I mean, I've seen that Lennon clip turn up on clip shows before.

I really must go to bed now.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: "Ballad of Ballard Berkley"But as Rudi says, weird that the baby sound effect is missing. For people watching at the time, they must've wondered what the hell Cook was doing.

Sorry, I meant Geeef.

I really must go to bed now.