Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:35:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris 'Myths' That Really Annoy You

Started by TJ, July 27, 2006, 10:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ

Self-explanatory, really. My own personal bugbear is the number of articles that claim that he "tricked the MP Paul Boateng into condemning non-existent rappers". Whereas if you actually watch the interview, Boateng quite clearly states that he hasn't heard of 'Herman The Tosser' and has no comment to make other than his feelings about violent rap imagery in general. It also sounds pretty much like he suspects he's on the recieving end of a wind-up. And anyway, 'Herman The Tosser' isn't a fraction as funny as 'Uzi-MC, the Blood Rap movement...'.

thepuffpastryhangman

The 1988 release Nyman's Maurice is not a tribute to Ravel. The title refers to Michael's love of the strategy game Nine Men's Morris.
Though there is a two second sampling of Gaspard de la Nuit, looped for sixteen weeks, hidden near the start of track two.

Ciarán2

The claim that he shouted "Christ's fat cock!" at Cliff Richard, but that's an obvious one I suppose.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

'There's going to be a second series of Nathan Barley'

humanleech

Benny Morris' claim that Palestinians have the highest birthrates in the world is untrue. In fact it is barely above the Israeli birthrate of 2.5.

thepuffpastryhangman

Don't blame me for that, I wrote mine before you added 'Chris' to the thread title.

humanleech

Desmond Morris's idea that the female orgasm evolved to increase pair bonding has been widely discredited.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

He's reclusive and mysterious - he really isn't. He's done a fair amount of interviews, and alright, he doesn't like being photographed, but lots of comedians and writers are like that, because they cherish their privacy. Rowan Atkinson's like that too. He's not like Thomas Pynchon or Terence Malick, and he doesn't reject the comedy world altogether.

humanleech

The efficacy of neuro linguistic programming is a myth and he shouldn't promote it.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

humanleech wrote:

QuoteDesmond Morris's idea that the female orgasm evolved to increase pair bonding has been widely discredited.

Didn't the orgasm just evolve as a way to tell us when to stop having sex? Otherwise we'd be at it all day. Either that, or it's an incentive to use those damp unpleasant bits for something good.

humanleech

Quote from: "Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer"humanleech wrote:

QuoteDesmond Morris's idea that the female orgasm evolved to increase pair bonding has been widely discredited.

Didn't the orgasm just evolve as a way to tell us when to stop having sex? Otherwise we'd be at it all day. Either that, or it's an incentive to use those damp unpleasant bits for something good.
Men can learn how to have multiple orgasms though, and women can certainly have them all day, though I can't tell you that from experience.

humanleech

The novel "Hawkeye" was not written by Daniel Stryker - that was merely a nom de plume used by Chris Morris to make himself sound more exciting.

humanleech

Quote from: "Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer"He's reclusive and mysterious - he really isn't. He's done a fair amount of interviews, and alright, he doesn't like being photographed, but lots of comedians and writers are like that, because they cherish their privacy. Rowan Atkinson's like that too. He's not like Thomas Pynchon or Terence Malick, and he doesn't reject the comedy world altogether.
Yes. Also he wants to be in control of his own work, and not have it taken over by Showbiz. What's wrong with restricting interviews to people he trusts at times when he thinks it would be advantageous? The press aren't Gods.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's a common trait of the media. If you refuse to talk to them or have your photograph taken they make out that you're some kind of recluse who indulges in strange behaviour.

This must always be a better state of affairs than joining in the media circus though; having your career placed in the hands of some of those horrible types.

Lee

Quote from: "humanleech"Men can learn how to have multiple orgasms though
Do tell.

Notlob

Agree with  TJ about Boateng's interview, I though the MP came out of that quite well, that he didn't let himself be talked into condemning something he didn't understand, and he was quite happy to admit his ignorance on the matter.

The one that gets on my nerves is the Cliff Richard one, and the one about Heseltine's death, because they are quite simply not true.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

In the case of the Boetang interview (and the Kim Wilde one, come to that), the joke seemed to be more than just 'Ha, I'm making them look stupid!' - it seemed to be equally about the way people like Paxman manipulate interviews.

Go With The Flow

Chris Morris has counted to infinity. Twice.

Chris Morris doesn't sleep. He waits.

Chris Morris's tears can cure cancer. Shame he's never cried.

Chris Morris uses razorwire for floss.

etc etc

humanleech

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"In the case of the Boetang interview (and the Kim Wilde one, come to that), the joke seemed to be more than just 'Ha, I'm making them look stupid!' - it seemed to be equally about the way people like Paxman manipulate interviews.
I think Morris liked to just try things to see what happened. He Sometimes the humour could turn back on him, as with Boetang, however hard he tries (just like Paxman), sometimes the effect is quite surreal, as with the Darcus Howe interview, which is wonderfully funny to me, though I'm not exactly sure why. It's almost like a perfect double-act.

I'm not really in with the comedy?morris fans, but anyone who thinks that Boetang was humiliated by that interview is hardly worth taking notice of anyway.

DJ One Record

Quote from: "humanleech"
Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"In the case of the Boetang interview (and the Kim Wilde one, come to that), the joke seemed to be more than just 'Ha, I'm making them look stupid!' - it seemed to be equally about the way people like Paxman manipulate interviews.
I think Morris liked to just try things to see what happened. He Sometimes the humour could turn back on him, as with Boetang, however hard he tries (just like Paxman), sometimes the effect is quite surreal, as with the Darcus Howe interview, which is wonderfully funny to me, though I'm not exactly sure why. It's almost like a perfect double-act.

I was always interested by those excerpts from unused interviews that you saw on the intros to Speak Your Brains on TDT - interviews with Darcus Howe (again), John Prescott et al. You just wonder how badly they must've gone for them to not actually be used at all.

Then again, Brasseye used quite a few and they weren't always that worthwhile ("Peter Stringfellow, is it just a name?")

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI'm not really in with the comedy?morris fans, but anyone who thinks that Boetang was humiliated by that interview is hardly worth taking notice of anyway.

It's the typical response though. Boateng is the Labour politician and 'victim', Chris Morris is the satirist. Therefore Morris must have pulled off the prank, despite how dubious the footage used appears, as he is the instigator and Boateng must have cocked up because he is a politician and God do we hate them.

The Mumbler

Boateng is trying desperately hard not to laugh throughout that whole Herman the Tosser exchange.

TJ

Quote from: "The Mumbler"Boateng is trying desperately hard not to laugh throughout that whole Herman the Tosser exchange.

I've always thought the same about Bruno Brookes and Tommy Vance in Brass Eye. In fact, I've always suspected that they might have been in some way in on it, or at the very least sussed it from the outset, especially given that both had a vague history with Morris and were both known fans of his work. But I mentioned that somewhere once and some mysterious anonymi got very, very shirty with the idea.

Ciarán2

Peter Baynham said someone twigged during the recording of Brass Eye and refused to let the clip go out, but I can't remember who that was now...

Something I dislike - and I'm going off-topic a bit here - are some of the feedback reports. Especially that one on "On The Hour" when the guy says "I'd learn to accept it philosophically" and Morris sneerily replies "Oh yeah. You'd work it out in Nietzschean terms would you?" I don't like that really, the idea of a bunch of Oxbridge comedians sneering at the inability of the general public to read Nietzche or whatever.

weekender

Quote from: "TJ"
Quote from: "The Mumbler"Boateng is trying desperately hard not to laugh throughout that whole Herman the Tosser exchange.

I've always thought the same about Bruno Brookes and Tommy Vance in Brass Eye. In fact, I've always suspected that they might have been in some way in on it, or at the very least sussed it from the outset, especially given that both had a vague history with Morris and were both known fans of his work. But I mentioned that somewhere once and some mysterious anonymi got very, very shirty with the idea.

I also think that both were in on the idea, along with Steven Berkoff.

But then, I also believed that the Oliver Skeete segment was somehow preplanned, as he seems too fake.  Then I saw some footage of him on Brainiac the other day and he was exactly the same, so I don't know what to think.

Lee

Tommy Vance said in an interview that he had no idea about the prank - he was totally duped. Obviously it's a bit late to find out whether or not he was telling the truth though.

weekender

I've read that Vance interview, and I'm still sure he was 'in on it'.  I like to think that he just thought it was funny.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Lee"
Quote from: "humanleech"Men can learn how to have multiple orgasms though
Do tell.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0007145152/

lipsink

QuotePeter Baynham said someone twigged during the recording of Brass Eye and refused to let the clip go out, but I can't remember who that was now...

That was one of the Kray twins when Morris asked hime to do a promotion for the Elephant campaign over the phone. The clip is on the BrassEye DVD and its pretty funny. Apparently he twigged afterwards.

mrpants

Quote from: "TJ"I've always thought the same about Bruno Brookes and Tommy Vance in Brass Eye. In fact, I've always suspected that they might have been in some way in on it, or at the very least sussed it from the outset, especially given that both had a vague history with Morris and were both known fans of his work. But I mentioned that somewhere once and some mysterious anonymi got very, very shirty with the idea.

It could have been that Morris wasn't there when they recorded the Brookes and Vance segments.  I was talking to Tristram Shapeero aaages ago and he said that a lot of the BES interviews were shot without Morris being there.