Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:57:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chris Morris 'Myths' That Really Annoy You

Started by TJ, July 27, 2006, 10:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ

Quote from: "lipsink"
QuotePeter Baynham said someone twigged during the recording of Brass Eye and refused to let the clip go out, but I can't remember who that was now...

That was one of the Kray twins when Morris asked hime to do a promotion for the Elephant campaign over the phone. The clip is on the BrassEye DVD and its pretty funny. Apparently he twigged afterwards.

There was another that Baynham mentioned during an interview on Light Lunch, but unfortunately the programme ended before he could reveal who it was. It was something to do with the abandoned sketch from Science about a Welsh duck farmer, although I've no idea whether they recognised Morris and/or Baynham or simply weren't taken in by the hoax.

lipsink

Didn't Morris interview Stringfellow before for Radio 1? Did he not recognise him for BE?

the midnight watch baboon

Nah, you can't see someone if they interview you on the radio.

TJ

Stringfellow's always been a really good sport about being caught out by Morris, Dom Joly etc. When he was standing in for James Whale on Talk Radio (which were fantastic shows, I should add, and really changed my opinion of him), someone phoned in and asked if it ever hurt his feelings to be made to look an idiot by comedians. He replied something along the lines of "no, not at all - I'm a larger than life character in the public eye and probably come across as brash and self-confident, so why shouldn't people take the mickey? As long as it's good natured I don't see how anyone can complain". He also pointed out that agreeing to appear on Shooting Stars and be sent up by Vic & Bob isn't that far removed from appearing on Brass Eye etc.

TJ

Quote from: "the midnight watch baboon"Nah, you can't see someone if they interview you on the radio.

As far as I know, the interviews for the Music Shows were - with a few exceptions - all done by arranging a slot in a press junket, where Edwina Currie/2 Unlimited/Tony Parsons/whoever would have been interviewed by tons of different tv & radio programmes, magazines etc all in the same session. I think that was also true of the Brett Easton Ellis and Michael Moore interviews from the Breezeblock sets. Not sure about Andrew Morton in Blue Jam, though - there's a couple of things about that which suggest they were in the same room as each other.

DJ One Record

Quote from: "TJ"As far as I know, the interviews for the Music Shows were - with a few exceptions - all done by arranging a slot in a press junket, where Edwina Currie/2 Unlimited/Tony Parsons/whoever would have been interviewed by tons of different tv & radio programmes, magazines etc all in the same session.

So that's how Morris managed to get away with those "Keith Richards/Nicky Campbell would like to ask you a question" bits?

gazzyk1ns

Claire Rayner was another one who appeared in Brass Eye, despite Morris having interviewed her for the R1 shows, wasn't she? Her reaction after Brass Eye went out was great, I just had a quick search of the forums and article database but couldn't find it. Someone must have it to hand, she said something like "I feel a bit embarrassed but I'd fight until I was blue in the face for his right to do things like that.".

Bert Thung

When Claire Rayner went on Right To Reply to complain about her treatment on Brass Eye, as far as I was concerned, she won the argument.

Glebe

I actually feel a bit bad for Claire Raynor. One or two of the duped celebrities can't really be blamed for falling for it.

TJ

Quote from: "Glebe"I actually feel a bit bad for Claire Raynor. One or two of the duped celebrities can't really be blamed for falling for it.

I've always felt sorry for Rolf Harris - the one person who looks and sounds like he was actually genuinely concerned about the issue. He's certainly a stark contrast to the others who were duped by 'cake'.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

I always felt sympathy for Richard Briers, but that might be hypocritical on my part. I only feel for him because he always seems like such a nice, caring chap who'd help anyone out, but I imagine quite a few of the celebrities are like that. I never understood why Briers - who isn't really a venal media whore like many of them, nor an idiot - was done by Morris. I like to think he was in on it, but I doubt it. Michael Winner was a good sport about it too, wasn't he?

Glebe

I love the way Briers says 'heavy lead soup' in that quivering, snobby tone of his. And Winner saying 'dog in a Kleenex box' in his stuffy-nosed, pompous voice!

Gavin

This in no way fits here but it's not worth a thread. This is from an e-mail I received on Friday afternoon.

Quote from: "Gavin's friend Simone"my colleague just came back from a week's holiday on the norfolk coast, and who(m?) should happen to be camping with his family outside the b&b her and her husband were staying in? that's right, mr morris himself! *** (my colleague)'s husband is a HUGE morris fan, but didn't want to let on to him that he knew who he was, cos he didn't want to come across as a fan boy, or bother chris while he was on holiday. but apparently they had several chats over breakfast, and *** reports that he's a very lovely, friendly man! so there you go!

Notlob

I think this thread just died in a glare of envy.

lipsink

Why is anyone feeling sorry for people stupid enough to believe that the street slang for a drug was 'Joss Ackland's spunky back pack'??

Divnee Gan

Quote from: "Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer"I always felt sympathy for Richard Briers

Didn't anyone feel sympathetic towards David Amess in the drugs episode? He came accross as naive but seemed to genuinely want to help about Cake. Maybe he should've had a more informed secretary.

thepuffpastryhangman

Didn't anyone feel sympathetic towards John De Lorean in the drugs episode? He came accross as naive but seemed to genuinely want to help about cars. Maybe he should've had a more informed secretary.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

David Amess is too irritating and floppy to feel sympathy for. It's the difference between swatting a fly and bludgeoning a nice cat to death.

thepuffpastryhangman

I felt sympathy for Briers due to The Young Ones, 'not The bloody Good Life', that was an unprovoked attack. No one on Brass Eye, outside the general public and Sainsbur McManus, deserves one jot of sympathy.

DJ One Record

Did anyone feel sorry for those guys on the 'Drugs' commentary?

Garam

Do you reckon Briers brought up the Vyvyan outburst to Ade when they were making If You See God, Tell Him? I wonder how that might've panned out.

Divnee Gan

Quote from: "thepuffpastryhangman"Didn't anyone feel sympathetic towards John De Lorean in the drugs episode? He came accross as naive but seemed to genuinely want to help about cars. Maybe he should've had a more informed secretary.

When were BTTF and Drugs episode of Brass Eye linked? Are you being humourous?

thepuffpastryhangman

Divnee Gan, your post reminded of John De Lorean, twas all.
I was refering to the 1982 fitting up of John De Lorean on drugs charges, 'he was naive...but seemed to genuinely want to help about cars', i.e. continue production in Northern Ireland after Thatcher cut off support via the Northern Ireland Developemnt Agency. Perhaps, had De Lorean been better informed by associates, the 'Secretary' of State for Northern Ireland James Prior for example, he'd never have started the doomed Dunmury venture. Or, had he been better informed by a personal secretary, he may not have been so easily duped by the narcotics police. I swapped cake for cars, I won't be the last.
The entrapment of De Lorean was made legend in the 1983 Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel classic 'White Lines (Don't Don't Do It)'
QuoteA businessman is caught/With 24 kilos He's out of jail And out on bail And that's the way it goes.

There's no link between Back To The Future and Brass Eye so far as I'm aware.

Divnee Gan

Hee hee, you nutcase. That explanantion is costa-del-blowfly!

neveragain

Back To The Future - Michael J Fox
- Scrubs (as a guest) - John C McGinley
- Frasier (as a guest) - Richard E Grant (in the last double bill)
- Posh Nosh - Arabella Weir
- The Fast Show  - Graham Linehan (writer)
- Father Ted - Ardal O'Hanlon
- My Hero (initially) - Hugh Dennis
... the Science episode of BRASS EYE!