Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:06:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"He doesn't need an introduction, so I'm not going to give him one. Here's Rob Newman"

Started by difbrook, August 08, 2006, 12:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

difbrook

Coo.

I've been digging through the tape collection again. Having spent two weeks transferring massive amounts of Later With Jools Holland episodes (I calculate something like seventy-five shows passed through the dvd-recorder), I've found a complete episode of "Jools Holland's Happening" from the much missed BSB. I'm transferring this now and there's a nice wee surprise in there. But first, a confession...

I also found an extract from another show - edited down by me - which is incredibly frustrating as Bill Hicks is about to walk on, when it chops into a drum duet between Rowland Rivron and Gilson Lavis. What the hell was I thinking? I also edited out a set from Tommy Cockles. Slaps self on forehead, vigorously.

However! There does appear to be a full edition of the "Happening" as well. And there's an exceedingly odd set from a very young, very nervous Rob Newman. It consists of *nothing* but his impressions strung together. Ronnie Corbett, Ben Elton, Antoine DeCaunes... the only one missing is Shaw Taylor. No audience banter, just one-to-the-next. And every single one of them turns up later in the MWE telly version. It's about six minutes of compressed Newman.

I'm going to spend the rest of the week kicking myself for chopping the HIcks set though. What a stupid youngster I was.

difbrook

Quote from: "Paaaaul"Can I kick you too?

please do. I can't quite believe the stupidity of that edit.

That said, I was chatting to a very old friend today,  He taped the Channel 4 repeats of the Happening, and it's just possible that the extracts I expunged will be in there.

If that's the case, I shall drop the appropriate bits straight back in...

Paaaaul

I'll leave you for now then...

(the Rob Newman stuff does sound interesting though)

Bert Thung

I think I remember seeing that. Baddiel was on it too wasn't  he? Talking about football (unsurprisingly).

difbrook

Quote from: "Bert Thung"I think I remember seeing that. Baddiel was on it too wasn't  he? Talking about football (unsurprisingly).

he was indeed - but on a different show, as I recall.

Jesus Henry Fecking Christ. This is *magnificent* stuff. I've just watched Norman Lovett do a trademark weak-joke, weak-punchline that's still hysterical. I don't know how he does that.

And now? Glenn Tilbrook and Chris Difford have just shambled on stage. With Jools, Gilson Lavis, Matt Irving  and Keith Wilkinson already on as part of the house band, the 1989 lineup of Squeeze is united. And what are my heroes blasting through?

"Cold Turkey".

well, that I didn't expect.

Barney Sloane

I remember seeing some 'revised repeats' of The Happening ("A veritable panoply of music and love!") on C4, one sketch showed Vic and Bob doing their "Shetland Pony" desk bit, later shown in BNO.  I think Dave Nice had his first incarnation on the Celebrity Squares section of that show as well, didn't he?

Bert Thung

I seem to remember Steve Punt on some sort of quiz show on BSB.  When the camera panned on him he held up a small sign saying "yes, I look like Eric Idle".

difbrook

I definitely taped another edition of the Happening at the time, 'cos it had Paul Carrack on it (yes, the Squeeze obsession is incurable). I can't lay paws on it at the moment, but I'll find it. Oh yes. I wonder who else is lurking in there?

EDIT: Meant to add that I really like Steve Punt anyway, but that thing from the BSB show has only increased my affection. It was pretty high anyway, since I found out that he's at least in part responsible for writing Humphs jokes on ISIHAC...

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "difbrook"Steve Punt's at least in part responsible for writing Humphs jokes on ISIHAC...

Say what? Seriously, I need info on this, because it's news to me. Ta!

difbrook

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"
Quote from: "difbrook"Steve Punt's at least in part responsible for writing Humphs jokes on ISIHAC...

Say what? Seriously, I need info on this, because it's news to me. Ta!

this site here...

http://www.isihac.co.uk/people.html

lists him as co-writer on ISIHAC with Robert Fraser Steele. I definitely saw his name in connection with Humph's long-winded introductions somewhere along the line - I just can't find it. As soon as I track it down, I'll pass it along!

Ray Le Otter

Quote from: "difbrook"It consists of *nothing* but his impressions strung together. Ronnie Corbett, Ben Elton, Antoine DeCaunes... the only one missing is Shaw Taylor. No audience banter, just one-to-the-next. And every single one of them turns up later in the MWE telly version. It's about six minutes of compressed Newman.

He did the same routine on Granada's "Stand Up" show (available on video) which also featured John Hegley, Skinner, Brand, Hattie Hayridge etc in their prime. Top stuff. Dunno if it was networked though.

benthalo

Stand Up (1991) was networked quite a while afterwards. Granada Plus showed them too. It sounds like his standard pre-Love God set, which he wheeled out on Hey RRRadio!!! prior to MWE. Quite a likeable routine for my money.

Ray Le Otter

Quote from: "benthalo"Stand Up (1991) was networked quite a while afterwards. Granada Plus showed them too. It sounds like his standard pre-Love God set, which he wheeled out on Hey RRRadio!!! prior to MWE. Quite a likeable routine for my money.

His Ronnie Corbett never fails to amuse... or was it Steve Coogans?

Actually it's scary to see the line ups for all three series of Stand-Up :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/s/standup_1299002947.shtml

I'd forgotten how many (now) well known comedians there were on it. I didn't realise the lovely Jo Enright was on it back then .

The Culture Bunker

I'm always half-disapointed when I see Newman live these days that he doesn't do too many impressions anymore. Though he did do Blair and Morrissey in Manchester on his last tour.

benthalo