Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:17:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mark Dolan

Started by Hypnotoad., August 08, 2006, 04:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hypnotoad.

Thought there might be a thread on this clown, but can't find one in search.

Not particularly interested in discussing him or his 'work', but this morning whilst listening to Nick "the cunt" Ferrari on LBC in the car (it was still tuned to LBC from Iain Lee the night before. Which is actually worse isnt it)

Anyway, Dolan has a slot on there to periodically comment on the news, and although I can't remember exactly what started it, he went into a rant about the Internet and how nasty people were in message boards, far more so than they would be to someones face. I then think he went on to possibly comment on CaB, although that was when I thought there was a specific thread about him here, in reality its only a Balls of steel thread

Anyway, he basically said something like "I mean, on the internet, some people create websites about specific comedians, like fansites, then in their message boards, they are scathing about other comedians, accomplished comedians - like me" without a hint of irony

What a shit

imitationleather

That boy being wrapped up in the nets was YOU, Mark Dolan!

I find it offensive that he consider himself a comedian.  Hi Mark!

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

For a man whose only comedic achievements are humiliating people, to complain about us being nasty towards him is just a teensy-weensy bit rich. He hasn't exactly made himself very likeable.

Jack Shaftoe

EDIT:  Turns out, I was thinking of someone else.

Whoops

K

How dare people on the internet like one comedian while simultaneously thinking another comedian is shit! That's hypocrisy or something.

Bert Thung

Quote from: "Homer J"he went into a rant about the Internet and how nasty people were in message boards, far more so than they would be to someones face.

Erm

http://chilled.cream.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=495530&highlight=#495530

Jack Shaftoe

I have a number of opinions about Balls of Steel, and I too would like to address them right in someone's face.

Morgan

Quote from: "Jack Shaftoe"I have a number of opinions about Balls of Steel, and I too would like to address them right in someone's face.

Take up chess then, or something equally sad - you might get the chance before too long.

imitationleather

I'm surprised One-Legged Gypsy or some other character hasn't come on here and done some hilarious hoax on us.

Maybe Boing is really a new feature on Balls on Steel called The Internet Troll? "Ahaha, we're disrupting discussions! Ahah!"

Jack Shaftoe

Morgan - I suppose there's a chance they might infiltrate my Wednesday night D&D game, but I think it might be below their critical radar. Although when I'm in London I like to go to a) museums and b) bookshops, so there's an equal chance of an encounter there...

'Eurgh, books and old things! What a spazz, eh viewers?'

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "Homer J"he went into a rant about the Internet and how nasty people were in message boards, far more so than they would be to someones face

Quote from: "Jack Shaftoe"I have a number of opinions about Balls of Steel, and I too would like to address them right in someone's face.

Hyuk! Yes, I'd really like to test his theory, as it were.

jutl

Why does it matter that people would not raise their criticisms to his face? I think a lot of my work colleagues, friends and relatives are self-deluding talentless fucks but I don't tell them so because I prefer a quiet life. That doesn't stop me

(a) thinking they're shit
(b) being right
(c) posting my bitter and accurate little criticisms on the internet

I look forward to the day when artistes hit upon the idea of combating widespread criticism by being less shit.

Jack Shaftoe

I think it's the assumption that people are saying things on t'internet they wouldn't have the moral courage to address more directly. Which in this specific case I think is probably not true.

jutl

Quote from: "Jack Shaftoe"I think it's the assumption that people are saying things on t'internet they wouldn't have the moral courage to address more directly. Which in this specific case I think is probably not true.

Yes - there is that suggestion that there's a double standard, but it's a self-serving suggestion. People aren't criticising him behind his back because they fear him or don't have the gumption to call him out on his appalling lack of talent, egregious show or smug facial expression. They're criticising him behind his back because it's more convenient.

Gavin

If he makes himself known on here I'll slag him off to his internet face.

Lee

Hi Mark, I'll be at Liverpool Street station this Saturday, you can meet me outside WH Smith at around 3:30 if you want me to come up to you and call you a cunt. See you there!

Jack Shaftoe

I'm ashamed to say I thought we were talking about Mark Wooton, and have never heard of Mark Dolan before (not a massive putdown, I haven't heard of many people).

And I wouldn't want to rah at anyone, just have a moment to explain why Balls of Steel was rubbish, and making the world a very slightly worse place to live in.

jutl

Quote from: "Jack Shaftoe"

And I wouldn't want to rah at anyone, just have a moment to explain why Balls of Steel was rubbish, and making the world a very slightly worse place to live in.

He was also involved in one of the most shameful incidents of the 1990s.

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "Lee"Hi Mark, I'll be at Liverpool Street station this Saturday, you can meet me outside WH Smith at around 3:30 if you want me to come up to you and call you a cunt. See you there!

How's he going to know which one's you?

Lee

I'll be wearing my "I *heart* The Richard Taylor Interviews!" t-shirt.

Jack Shaftoe

Good lord, that's not a CV, that's a charge sheet of potential war crimes.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

Someone phone the Hague!

Uzi Lover

Hmm I remember a time here when people loved The Richard Taylor Interviews, Jimmy Carr, and hated Daniel Kitson.

Marv Orange

Quote from: "Uzi Lover"Hmm I remember a time here when people loved The Richard Taylor Interviews, Jimmy Carr, and hated Daniel Kitson.

Popularity is inversely proportional to the amout of times they appear on tv multiplyed by the 'ball of steels/Jimmy Carr stand up DVD' constant the value of which are zero.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Uzi Lover"Hmm I remember a time here when people loved The Richard Taylor Interviews

You have come here from a parallel universe and I want to know how it's done.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"
Quote from: "Uzi Lover"Hmm I remember a time here when people loved The Richard Taylor Interviews

You have come here from a parallel universe and I want to know how it's done.

I'll hold my hands up to responding positively to the mocking of management consultants. However, I drew the line at winding up people looking for security work. Inverted snob that I am. From a parallel universe.