Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:43:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Norman Collier's Microphone Is Now Working

Started by PC Savage, August 20, 2006, 07:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PC Savage

I was a floor manager on the 1972 series of Jokers Wild. Things could get very nasty on that show, I can tell you. Lots of whisky fumes, bile, and unbroadcastable jokes (even then) about black people and uncooperative women.

Anyway, I'm writing a book on the degenerate nature of British comedians, directly juxtaposing old school (Ted Ray, Norman Collier etc) with the new brooms of today (Gervaise, Mrs Tate etc). The conclusion I'm coming to, apart fromt the usual comedians-as-miserable-drunken-ratbags schtick, is that comedy isn't funny at all, after all. None of it is actually funny. None except for Norman Collier's faulty microphone bit.

This is a shocking conclusion, but all will be explained in the book.

Evenin' all

Bert Thung

I love that episode of Jokers Wild where John Cleese read a book till he's asked a question. Someone bung that up on youtube.

The Cloud of Unknowing

[quote="PC Savage" The conclusion I'm coming to, apart fromt the usual comedians-as-miserable-drunken-ratbags schtick, is that comedy isn't funny at all, after all. None of it is actually funny. None except for Norman Collier's faulty microphone bit.
[/quote]

What about the winding-the-car-window-up-and-down routine, or does that fall into the same category?

Pinball

zozman

Apparently not, no.  I'd agree though that Catherine Tate isn't funny.

Squidy

Quote from: "Bert Thung"http://home.btconnect.com/howejam/dadsarmy/gallery/gal_cdcareer_05.htm
That photo appeared as a puzzle in the Look-In TV Comedy Annual 1974, challenging the reader to "Name the Jokers!".

Glebe

There was a  thing in Viz ages ago about a guy who did laundry to the stars, and It mentioned Norman Collier doing the microphone thing.