Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:55:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Great Comedians Never Discussed On This Forum

Started by Bert Thung, March 20, 2004, 08:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert Thung

Much as I enjoy this forum, there just seems to be a fair bit of great comedy permanantly missing any disection,ie:

Tommy Cooper, Morecambe & Wise, Woody Allen, Billy Connoly, Jerry Sadowitz, Laurel & Hardy, Mel Brooks, Eddie Murphy (on his day).

Not a criticism, just thought I'd try and open things up a little.

alan strang

Quote from: "Bert Thung"Tommy Cooper, Morecambe & Wise, Woody Allen, Billy Connoly, Jerry Sadowitz, Laurel & Hardy, Mel Brooks, Eddie Murphy (on his day).

There have been great discussions about most of the above in the past - but a lot of it disappeared when the board went tits up earlier this year.

fudgemonkey

Good list.
Tommy Cooper was also a genius, as is Victoria Wood, Alan Bennet, Rob Brydon and Eddie Izzard.
I especially agree with Woody Allen. What's your favourite Woody Allen film?

God, I hate Eob Brydon so much.

I was thinking of starting a Chris Rock thread.  I saw his stand up a while back and he is stunning,, but I'd like to find out more.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Funnily enough, I was going to mention Chris Rock in this thread. His stand-up is fantastic; even his first HBO show (an extra on the Never Scared DVD) has some cracking material. I find it interesting that he only tours once every few years - he must take time to make sure that each show is spot on.

"Mom, can we have some Big Ass Beans?"
"Sure! Have you got some Big Ass Money?"

I've mentioned Billy Connolly and Morecambe & Wise on this board in passing a few times, but have never managed to get into a discussion properly.  It's always been more of an aside.

I think it's a travesty that the last generation(s) of people have grown up only seeing Eric and Ern during their traditional Christmas repeat and at no other time.  Come to think of it, they've probably seen even less of Tommy Cooper.

I had thought of starting a Connolly thread of some sort recently, but somebody mentioned he's almost universally disliked around these parts, so I didn't think it was worth the effort.

Mr. Analytical

Billy Connolly's a smug git.  

His wife, on the other hand,  is an anus encrusted with weeping sores.  

What about PROPER comedians like Jethro and Joe Pasquale?

Exactly the reason I never went to the trouble of starting a BC thread.  People don't like him - fair enough.  

From where I'm sitting, though, he's one of the people who has made me laugh most consistently throughout my life, alongside Ronnie Barker and Rik & Ade.

Neil

I'd be interested in a Billy Connolly thread, I'm sure lots of other folks would be too.  It would give me the incentive to watch the videos I've got lying in the bedroom actually.  I do remember finding him very funny when I was growing up, but haven't really seen or heard any of his stuff for a long time.  I have a vague and distant memory of my Granny laughing herself sick at Big Banana Boots.

Bert Thung

Anyone for a Bill Forsyth thread?  Gregorys Girl, That Sinking Feeling, Local Hero, Comfort and Joy, marvellous comedy and never discussed stuff on here (or strangely anywhere else nowadays).

ps I met that bloke who was the star of That Sinking Feeling (and wanted to emigrate to Maracas in Gregorys Girl) last thursday. Now a technician in The Tolbooth Theatre in Stirling.

Jemble Fred

What happened to our nice big M&W thread then? Sadowitz is mentioned on here, on average, at least once a day.

Bert Thung

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Sadowitz is mentioned on here, on average, at least once a day.

Not on 17 March 2004 he wasn't

Quote from: "Neil"I'd be interested in a Billy Connolly thread, I'm sure lots of other folks would be too.  It would give me the incentive to watch the videos I've got lying in the bedroom actually.  I do remember finding him very funny when I was growing up, but haven't really seen or heard any of his stuff for a long time.

I think as far as stand-up related stuff goes, he's been rather more inconsistant over the past few years, although he'll still make me laugh far more than so many other comedians.  I'll happily forgive him, though, since his travel programmes have been excellent.  I especially enjoyed his fairly recent jaunt around New Zealand - it looks like a wonderful place.

QuoteI have a vague and distant memory of my Granny laughing herself sick at Big Banana Boots.

Lucky Granny!  To date, it's the only BC video that's been out on general realease in the past which I have never seen.  It never got re-issued and certificated properly in the 80s and shows no sign of getting a DVD reissue any time soon.

sproggy

Quote from: "trotsky assortment"I think as far as stand-up related stuff goes, he's been rather more inconsistant over the past few years, although he'll still make me laugh far more than so many other comedians.

A lot of the best stuff related to his early years growing up and working in Glasgow.  Unfortunately that part of his life is way behind him now and has been replaced with wishy-washy observational anecdotes and dodgy banjo solos.

I know Billy talks of Chic Murray a fair bit - but I can't say I've ever heard any of his stuff.

mrpants

Apart from the South Bank thread - Eric Sykes?

EOLAN

Well, is it just me or is it annoying when people start threads or comments about why no one ever discusses Katie Boyle and Ginger Rogers etc....

If you want to discuss them just comment, start a thread on it.

I remember a good Laurel and Hardy thread a month or two ago

PS Nothing PErsonal

fudgemonkey

Why does no one discuss Victoria Wood or Alan Bennet? Talking Head wasn't a comedy as such but neither was Jam, in a way.

Neil

Victoria Wood.  There was a recent GD thread that had a lot of discussion about her too.

Aye, there was.  As I recall though, the GD one contained a fair bit of Victoria Wood bashing.  For the record, Mr fudge, I'm quite fond of her work.

Pseudopath

No-one ever talks about Emo Phillips anymore.

My mate's convinced he played George McFly in the original Back To The Future, even though the briefest of glances at Wikipedia confirms that he was played by Crispin Glover, whereas Emo's real name's Phil Soltanec.

Still, whatever happened to Emo Phillips?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Pseudopath"

He did a comeback circa 2001, with short hair and glasses.

He's in The Aristocrats too.

Pseudopath

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"

He's in The Aristocrats
Cool...I'll have to check it out.

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"

He did a comeback circa 2001, with short hair and glasses.

He's in The Aristocrats too.

During his 'missing' years, he's been producing films - most notably 'Meet The Parents'.

rjd2

I don't know if either is liked around here, but a Robin Williams or even a Martin Short thread would not be the worse idea in the world.

Feralkid

Emo had a piece in the Guardian about a fortnight ago after one of his gags was voted best Religious joke of all time....

Emo producd the original version of Meet The Parents.  The first incarnation was a low budget no-star indie flick with the same premise and a much darker ending.  Universal bought the rights just so they could shelve it and launch a starrier more upbeat remake.  Phillips has said of his contractual associate producer's credit on the remake that it's akin to the American practise of naming things after Indian tribes the settlers wipied out.....

Particle Man

I've been meaning to start a Willie Rushton thread for ages. Probably my favourite comedy book is "The Alternative Gardener" and I've just been listening to "The Complete Works" cassette that came out a few years ago. It's got some of the most wonderful turns of phrase...

"...then The Queen... or The King, as she was then..."

humanleech

Quote from: "Pseudopath"Still, whatever happened to Emo Phillips?
This man is remarkably lacking in mention on this board. YouTube has hardly anything. What's wrong?

http://www.emophilips.com/epk/

for some of his geniuses.