Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:32:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Great Comedians Never Discussed On This Forum

Started by Bert Thung, March 20, 2004, 08:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smid

Quote from: "Ballad of Ballard Berkley"
As for Craig Ferguson - I used to have a Bing Hitler concert on tape from the 80's, and remember thinking it was hilarious. But I used to think that about Phil Cool too.

Ah I'd forgotten that he was called Bing Hitler...

Justandy

I've just entered 'Lenny Bruce' in the search bit and came up with fuck all.  Can't be right surely.?  Anyway.  At the time of writing, (30/07/06), there's a quite superb one hour documentary on him on the BBC 'Listen Again' radio site.  It's narrated by Simon Amstell, but don't let that put you off, Stewart Lee and Eddie Izzard are as usually inciscive and direct on the subject and there's unreleased stuff from his home tapes courtesy of Kitty Bruce.

Roger Byrne

If you want to know whether Craig Ferguson's any good or not, find out here: http://www.somethings.org.uk/ferguson/

TotalMink

Thanks for that Roger Byrne the quality is excellent.  I remember going to see him when I was about 16 in His Majestys Theatre in Aberdeen and thinking he was the business.  He dealt with hecklers very well that night.

gatchamandave

May  I  suggest  Ken  Dodd ?  

I  remember  thinking  he  was  hilarious  when  I  was  a nipper  but  I  honestly  cannot  remember  a  single  thing  he  did.

( Except  for  the  dead  fucking  creepy  Diddy-men  who  looked  less  like  something  from  Notty-Ash  and  more  like  whatever  pyscho-killer-dwarf-clown  hid  in  the  wardrobe  at  night.  )

Has  he  fallen  so  far  from  grace  ?  Maybe  if  he'd  done a  few  racist  routines  we  might  remember  him  more -  with  that  mix  of  urban  legend, contempt  and  guilt  that  surrounds  many  a  70's  comedian  admittedly - but  Doddy  just  never  seems  to  be  mentioned  by  anyone,  anywhere.

benthalo

I hear that Dodd improvises quite a lot during more recent shows.

Actually, on the matter of Dodd there was a recent gathering of friends at which we all agreed that we should go on a specially organised trip to see him live before he dies, as it was an unticked box for all of us. God knows what Ken feels about that, but it was genuinely felt all the same.

shiftwork2

My ex-girlfriend used to live in a nurses' home in Manchester with one of the 70s diddymen.  Without wishing to be unkind you'd take one look at her and think, 'hang on, was she one of the diddymen?' such were her facial features.    

She had nothing but praise for Doddy, loveliest guy etc etc.  And let's face it, none of us like paying tax do we?

The Widow of Brid

Quote from: "Garam"
I even quite like Half-Baked.

Half-Baked is probably the only genuinely funny drugs caper I've ever seen. I have trouble even thinking about the scene where they're eulogising the dog without giggling like an idiot. (Not to mention Jerry Garcia's ashes)

Notlob

Anyone mentioned Dylan Moran yet? He's the only comic I know who can do the whole "like a stoat high on spinach" bit with me groaning, I think it's because he has a charm that's all his own. He seems to be able to freshen up the traditional standup fare of chicks vs blokes et al.

I hear however, that he's been recycling his material of late. Tsk, tsk.

Brutus Beefcake

I'm going to see him in Edinburgh on Wednesday.  I saw him on the Monster tour and he was brilliant.

Notlob

Lucky, lucky man. Post a review, won't you?

Felatio Imperative

Quote from: "Mrs Trousers"
Quote from: "Garam"
I even quite like Half-Baked.

Half-Baked is probably the only genuinely funny drugs caper I've ever seen. I have trouble even thinking about the scene where they're eulogising the dog without giggling like an idiot. (Not to mention Jerry Garcia's ashes)

Have you seen Cheech and Chongs 'Up In Smoke'?

ApexJazz

Quote from: "Justandy"I've just entered 'Lenny Bruce' in the search bit and came up with fuck all.  Can't be right surely.?  Anyway.  At the time of writing, (30/07/06), there's a quite superb one hour documentary on him on the BBC 'Listen Again' radio site.  It's narrated by Simon Amstell, but don't let that put you off, Stewart Lee and Eddie Izzard are as usually inciscive and direct on the subject and there's unreleased stuff from his home tapes courtesy of Kitty Bruce.

Oh, I'm certain Lenny Bruce has been mentioned once or twice in the past. By the way, what's the name of the docu? (the BBC website is not very friendly to fer'ners)
I've always wondered if there are any recordings that survive of Bruce performing at the Establishment Club. Would be fun to hear his impressions of early 1960's London. I saw film footage of Bruce's last "visit" to the UK, which was basically him at the airport being blocked by british authorities. He looked remarkably perky for someone being prevented to do a gig. I only read later that Peter Cook had already paid him in advance, hence his nonchalance about being thrown out of the country.

Lfbarfe

Quote from: "benthalo"Actually, on the matter of Dodd there was a recent gathering of friends at which we all agreed that we should go on a specially organised trip to see him live before he dies, as it was an unticked box for all of us. God knows what Ken feels about that, but it was genuinely felt all the same.

I feel the same way. He's coming to Lowestoft in November, but the gig sold out in 3 days.

Hurrah for the person who mentioned Mike Harding & the Crazy Gang. MH's Friday night BBC2 series was an important part of my childhood. While I'm here, I'll drop in a mention of Norman Collier. Saw him in a show on the South Pier in Blackpool about 20 years ago. There are basically 3 jokes in his act, 2 of which are close relatives*, but the way he puts them across gets me every time. A one-off.

* Car window, dodgy microphone, chicken.

benthalo

QuoteOh, I'm certain Lenny Bruce has been mentioned once or twice in the past. By the way, what's the name of the docu? (the BBC website is not very friendly to fer'ners)

Lenny Bruce Is Dead. Amstell wasn't very good at all, but there were some astonishing clips from the Bruce personal archive, including a verbal warning from the police before a New York show that had been taped for his own security.

Bruce has definitely been discussed in the same breath as Bill Hicks, so I'd be surprised if there were no results on a forum search.

Having heard it again on the way in to work this morning, the cocksuckers routine is truly extraordinary. "Well, I can tell them not to do it..."

The Widow of Brid

Quote from: "Felatio Imperative"
Have you seen Cheech and Chongs 'Up In Smoke'?

I have. Didn't enjoy it, despite being fairly key demographic. I'm not sure why.