Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:04:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Harry Enfield's 1997 Christmas Special

Started by Darrell, April 13, 2004, 12:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrell

...has just been on UK Gold, and I'm surprised by just how much I enjoyed it. I think this is the definitive last good thing he did before he went shit. The 1998 one I recall being exceptionally poor - lots of rubbish new characters who could barely withstand the screentime they got in the special, no Kathy Burke, Jessica Stevenson looking completely lost and a pointless Titanic parody. After that he did the poor Blair series for ITV, signed to Sky and then Celeb...

This one however was great. Better than the Chums series which preceded it at the start of that year, it's a proper, bona fide Christmassy Christmas special, with solid routines for the regular characters - Perry talking to Kevin's parents about the death of Kevin's grandfather, and an absolutely belting sketch for the father whose son is gay.

There was even room for new characters - George Ulsterman in particular being a genuine flashback to first-series Television Programme greatness.

What's more - there's an amusing parody of the BBC's Perfect Day promo at the end, something which was in tonight's  UK Gold transmission but has been cut out of all BBC1 repeats (and the video, I believe). I hadn't seen that sketch since 1997! Glad I taped it too, the arrangement of said song was the work of a certain chap called Philip...

So, basically, my point is, I'm confident in pointing out that this is where Enfield got off the bus, though he did it with a bang. Oh, alright, I'm starting another Enfield thread despite the fact we've all covered it a million times before. Worth another bash though?

Godzilla Bankrolls

I watched this, and enjoyed a lot of it, too. Enfield was once the king of British Comedy, wasn't he? Lots of publicity about his characters, ones that were 'dying' (only to return a couple of series/specials down the line) and new ones too. Much in the same way that Partridge/The Office get mentioned in every article.

What was the name of that embarrased dad character, by the way?

Darrell

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"What was the name of that embarrased dad character, by the way?

I struggled for about 15 minutes just then to remember. He definitely has a name, it was in the lovely little book which came out at the same time (which included some rough draft, work-in-progress early scripts for this special presented in a 'we might do these but polish them up a bit first' way - excellent stuff!), I just can't remember what it was. My copy of the book has long since disappeared.

Ben Ordinary

Piss poo bum bastard bloody bollocks. Just spent 20 minutes looking for my copy of the Chums book to no avail. This is now going to consume and eventually destroy my lovely day off. Thanks Darrell.

Neil

Funnily enough I found this very show while digging through videos a month or two ago.  It is indeed very good.  Especially enjoyed the Ulsterman and Gerry Adams chap, obviously.  Enfield certainly did used to be huge, and rightly so.  Oh, and I'm glad he turned down those terrible "suits you sir" sketches that Whitehouse later went on to do in The Fast Show.  As they're rubbish.

"Oh come on... It's Chwismas!!"

Bert Thung

Modern Dad was the name of the character.  It was based on Enfields real Dad, who used to write a column in The Oldie Magazine.

Darrell

Quote from: "Bert Thung"Modern Dad was the name of the character.  It was based on Enfields real Dad, who used to write a column in The Oldie Magazine.

Yes! It had been bugging me endlessly.

Alberon

It has all gone horribly wrong for him recently. It all seems to have fallen apart when Paul Whitehouse stopped working with him.

His Sky One series was just plain horrible. Swear words in place of jokes. Just like the last series Phil Cool did (remember him?). I've nothing against swearing, but you need more than that to build a show around.

Shame really, because his Smashey and Nicey special was one of the best bits of comedy the BBC ever made.

GoochDogHigh5s

Quote from: "Alberon".

Phil Cool did (remember him?). .
My God! What ever happened to him??

Shame really, because his Smashey and Nicey special was one of the best bits of comedy the BBC ever made.
And it mentioned the legendary Alternative TV

Harfyyn Teuport

Christ, just be glad you never saw the dreadful Harp ads he was in on Northern Irish TV about two years ago.

The premise was three twenty-something Hollyoaks types from Belfast chatting in a bar...

Twat 1: What about Harry Enfield, I bet he'd be great craic down the pub!
Twat 2: Aye, he'd just be wunna the lads!

FLASH TO HARRY ENFIELD WITH THEM IN A PUB, MAKING FACES AND NOISES IN A MANNER SO RISIBLE AS TO RESEMBLE THE EFFORTS OF SOMEONE INTENT ON CRUELLY MOCKING THE FORMER FUNNYMAN. SOMEONE WITH A BITTER SARCASM SO SAVAGE IT SUGGESTS HARRY ENFIELD OWES THEM MONEY.

MEANWHILE HIS SYCOPHANTIC NORTHERN IRISH COMPANIONS, SOME TWENTY YEARS YOUNGER THAN HE, LAUGH LIKE THE UTTER WABS THEY ARE.

It really was awful, Enfield doing what I can only describe as a 'boggle-eyed look of delight' every time he took a sip of his beer, as if drinking fizzy piss with Northern Irish students seemingly impressed by little more than funny faces and vaguely regional noises, was in any way less depressing than you'd imagine.

Quote from: "Bert Thung"Modern Dad was the name of the character.  It was based on Enfields real Dad, who used to write a column in The Oldie Magazine.
Two years late I pedantically jump in to say- I co-wrote Modern Dad, and though the portrayal might have been based on Enfield Senior, the character came out of my head.

neveragain

Those are wonderful sketches. Very well done sick.

Sheriff John Indolent

Quote from: "Alberon"Shame really, because his Smashey and Nicey special was one of the best bits of comedy the BBC ever made.

"Swearing crescendo....on the ruddy rotten dole!"