Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:03:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

It's Take the Piss Out of the Latest Comedy Lab Time!

Started by Darrell, February 10, 2004, 11:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cambrian Times

I'm sorry,  Russell Brand?

More like shop's own brand

Utter shite

Hans

Just caught the one with the 'public videos' (or something to that effect).  Awful apart from the guy in the red shirt making his wife (I presume) think she was going blind.

imitationleather

Neil

You were right again fat bob, Katz was listed as Producer for that puppet nonsense.  Jesus, a clip show with puppets pasted over some of the characters, what a bloody awful idea.  Where was the comedy?

Robot DeNiro

yup, the public video one wasn't very good.  when will people learn that being dark does not equal being funny?  will it be soon?  please?

a million times better than the MTV bloke though.

the puppets one was strange.  technically it was excellent, i haven't seen that sort of thing before, and a lot of work and or money must have gone into clearing some of the material used.  not sure why they bothered though, because they didn't really subvert the source material / include any jokes.

does anyone know how you get to do a comedy lab?  if this is the best the nation has in terms of up and coming comedy talent, maybe we should just close this forum now.

Neil

The dark thing is so annoying, even Vic and Bob seem to be seduced by the dark side now.  Fair play to SOTCAA, they spotted this trend, what, about 3 years ago?*  It's amazing that it's lasted this long when it's produced so little good funny stuff.  It seems like such a stupid idea as well, basically taking comedy and draining all the funny bits away only to replace them with stuff about paedos or whatever.  

* I wish I'd never read the thing about FRV though, one of those things you don't really notice until someone points it out, and then it just ends up irritating you forever.  Like gerunds.

fbb bastard

by the by......revolver actually reached some kind of non-joke nirvana of zen perfection with a sketch where a man took his week old sample to a cinema.....INSTEAD OF THE DOCTOR!!!!!!

i watched revolver again for 5 minutes....thats how bad that russell brand thing was

i gave in.....i couldnt bare to watch the other two.....film 2004 was alright...had the harry potter trailer and coogan on set from around the world in 80 days....

good old coog's eh.........

Robot DeNiro

Quote from: "Neil"* I wish I'd never read the thing about FRV though, one of those things you don't really notice until someone points it out, and then it just ends up irritating you forever.  Like gerunds.

sorry for sounding ignorant but I have no idea what you are talking about here neil.  what is FRV? (he asked sheepishly knowing he'll probably kick himself for being so stupid in a few minutes)

actually, that's something that happens a lot on this board.  people always abbreviate the names of shows.  am I the only one who has to sit there staring at the screen for ages before suddenly realising "oh! LOG = League of Gentlemen" or what have you.

anyway, irritating dark stuff.  much as I hate to say it, the first time i realised that being dark was just a lazy way of avoiding writing jokes was when I saw peter baynham on fist of fun.  he had a mock lifestyle segment where he would say things like "can't afford a towel?  why not dry yourself with a dead dog?"  this would get laughs, but they would be laughs of revulsion, which are not as good as regular laughs.  not that I want to detract from the rest of baynham's work of course, and naturally that early example pales into insignificance compared to some of the rubbish we've seen recently.

now, i'm gonna kill you all and roll around in your blood and shit then bugger your corpses with an aids tumour.  aren't i a funny guy?

butnut

Quote from: "Robot DeNiro"now, i'm gonna kill you all and roll around in your blood and shit then bugger your corpses with an aids tumour.  aren't i a funny guy?

You've been reading those German suicide sites again, haven't you? ;)

imitationleather

Quote from: "Robot DeNiro"anyway, irritating dark stuff.  much as I hate to say it, the first time i realised that being dark was just a lazy way of avoiding writing jokes was when I saw peter baynham on fist of fun.  he had a mock lifestyle segment where he would say things like "can't afford a towel?  why not dry yourself with a dead dog?"  this would get laughs, but they would be laughs of revulsion, which are not as good as regular laughs.  not that I want to detract from the rest of baynham's work of course, and naturally that early example pales into insignificance compared to some of the rubbish we've seen recently.

What you been taking, son? That was neither dark (well, not dark as in dead baby humour) nor unfunny! Surely you just haven't seen it for a long time or something. True, it got a bit tiresome after about the tenth episode, but for a few weeks at least Peter was knocking out some class material.

Tsk, the youth of today.

Neil

Quote from: "Robot DeNiro"
sorry for sounding ignorant but I have no idea what you are talking about here neil.  what is FRV? (he asked sheepishly knowing he'll probably kick himself for being so stupid in a few minutes)

Oh, it stands for Field Removed Video.  From memory (so correct me if I'm wrong please) it's a way of treating stuff shot on (cheap) tape to make it look as if it's been shot on (expensive) film.  They do this by dropping out frames, and you end up with that rotten-looking effect that you will notice in stuff like TLOG.  

anyway, irritating dark stuff.  much as I hate to say it, the first time i realised that being dark was just a lazy way of avoiding writing jokes was when I saw peter baynham on fist of fun.  he had a mock lifestyle segment where he would say things like "can't afford a towel?  why not dry yourself with a dead dog?"  this would get laughs, but they would be laughs of revulsion, which are not as good as regular laughs.  not that I want to detract from the rest of baynham's work of course, and naturally that early example pales into insignificance compared to some of the rubbish we've seen recently.

Have to agree with imitationleather there, that's not really what's meant by dark comedy per se, in fact Fist Of Fun is as far removed from "dark" as you can get really.  When people are moaning about dark comedy we mean stuff like Nighty NIght or Monkey Dust, where the whole thing revolves around subjects like cottaging, paedophile grooming, cancer, suicide etc.  The very sort of things you instantly think of when you need a good laugh, eh?  Lots of these subjects have been dealt with in comedy previously to the dark boom, but it's the way in which they were handled.  Something like the Baynham dead dog gag you mention there stuck out like a sore thumb in between the rest of Fist of Fun and there gags about, I dunno, Kinder eggs or whatever, and would be funny because of that.  Nowadays though, it seems like there are no taboos left so there's no kind of schoolboy snickers to be had from this kind of material, it doesn't seem daring anymore, it just seems utterly de rigour.

alan strang

Quote from: "Neil"Something like the Baynham dead dog gag you mention there stuck out like a sore thumb in between the rest of Fist of Fun

Did that joke even exist? I don't remember it.

There was certainly a lot of visual stuff in his pieces aimed at making the audience go "Eeeuurgh" (as per the LOG TV shows) rather than concentrating on the logical oddness of the character's traits. But that wouldn't real fall under the 'dark' catagory either - it was all brightly-lit studio performance.

The radio stuff covered it better - ever hear the "shouting man from Balham who drinks medicine" on the Lee & Herring radio shows? Played by Kevin Eldon but written by Baynham - the dialogue is very similar to the Welshmen sketches in Blue Jam.

"I am being haunted by the ghost of a hedge..."

Neil

Quote from: "alan strang"Did that joke even exist? I don't remember it.

I don't remember it either but I should have said "WOULD HAVE stuck out like a sore thumb."

QuoteThere was certainly a lot of visual stuff in his pieces aimed at making the audience go "Eeeuurgh" (as per the LOG TV shows) rather than concentrating on the logical oddness of the character's traits. But that wouldn't real fall under the 'dark' catagory either - it was all brightly-lit studio performance.

Yeah, which is clearly a better surrounding for that sort of material, right?  Things like Monkey Dust can never really ellicit that same "Eeeurrgh" response because the whole show is bleak and depressing.  Why can't they understand how they're fucking the dynamics?!

QuoteThe radio stuff covered it better - ever hear the "shouting man from Balham who drinks medicine" on the Lee & Herring radio shows? Played by Kevin Eldon but written by Baynham - the dialogue is very similar to the Welshmen sketches in Blue Jam.

Ooh doesn't sound terribly familiar but it seems like a good excuse to get back to working through the Lee and Herring Music Show things as I was enjoying those.  I have a constant battle with Lee and Herring stuff but when TJ sent me those shows a year or two back I enjoyed them a lot more than stuff like Lionel Nimrod.  Love the Welshmen sketches so I'll have to hunt these out.

Jemble Fred

He ha ho-di- her. I do like a laugh. And I do worry about the endlessly disgusted tone of VWs these days...

But, my god, these fuckers don't half ask for it, don't they? I start every new comedy show in the most optimistic, hopeful mood as possible these days, in the hope of avoiding writing pages of distainful criticism, but then I can't remember the last time I saw a brand new comedy that impressed me at all. Probably was LoG.

Now, why was that Russell Brand quite so objectionable? Was it just because he looks like a fucking male model? I do hope not, A) Because I myself am gorgeous, and B) because I hope I can see past such things, to the god-awful performance and unbelievably weak script. Try though I did to like it, the phrase 'MONKEY SEE, MONKEY DO' just kept growing in my mind. This drama type has watched VRBNO and especially Harry Hill and thought 'Not only can I do that, but I'm SO COOL as well, it's bound to be better!' But the fact of the matter is he isn't a funny man. He was just spouting shite without any attention to the delivery - and any new show that contains 'real people out on the streets'  is too unoriginal to bother with from the off.

But then, I did actually laugh on a couple of occasions last night, (afraid the chicken fucking did get me) despite the build-up of bile you can't help when watching Comedy Lab. The videocamera show wasn't a bad idea, but I can't help feeling it would get very boring if it were longer than 15 minutes. And what the fuck is it with these days with just repeating the same idea over and over again? Why can't you have a sketch show where you don't know what's coming next these days? I also enjoyed the Puppet show, just from a novelty point of view, but the idea was quite tired after ten minutes.

But I just have to return to my original point on this thread. It's a strange mix of terror that these things get made, and stand a chance of getting a series, while there are no doubt tens of genuinely funny people out there who will never face a TV camera or a radio microphone, because they don't go to the right parties or get money from their parents to be able to have a comedy career. But then, as I say, when I see shows as empty of humour as this, it does make me feel 103% more confident in my own material. Keep up the bad work, C4.

QuoteThe dark thing is so annoying
Well, the entire Comedy Lab design is a close-up of a body bag. That is where the whole slot is coming from. What's gone wrong with British Comedy? Why do the people who follow these trends have jobs?

I really will retire to Bedlam, eventually.

Robot DeNiro

Quote from: "alan strang"Did that joke even exist? I don't remember it.

No, the dead dog / towel joke didn't actually exist, I was just using that as an example of the sort of joke that was made.  sadly I don't have access to any Fist of Fun, so can't quote an actual example.

Yeah, I guess that wasn't 'dark' as we mean it today.  However, that entire section of Fist of Fun got laughs of disgust rather than laughs from jokes, much as today's 'dark' stuff hopes to get laughs of fear or revulsion rather than laughs from jokes.

In my opinion that's a bit of a fine line, and both are examples of lazy writing with limited returns.  that's the 'point' i was trying to make.

don't try to turn me into some kind of baynham hater though.  I've been a fan of his ever since I saw him at the edinburgh festival, where he pretended he was an alien by appearing naked with his willy tucked between his legs.  now THAT'S comedy.

Dr David V

My 1/50th of a Euro - The Russel Brand pissed me off no end, although I do seem to remember stifling one or two sniggers during the show, but I'm buggered if I can remember when. The video camera thing was dark badly acted nonsense. Puppet Access TV was probably the best of the bunch, but I'm glad it didn't go on longer than 12 minutes, as the novelty wore off by then. Plus it wasn't that funny.

5 down, 2 to go...

Almost Yearly

Well all you overly negative critics on here have blown it now haven't you? You haven't got enough bitchy superlatives left to describe The Russell Brand now, have you? You're already on ten - where can you go? I was about to go off on one yesterday in the thoroughly depressing Catherine Tate thread (go on, read it through again and see if you can see the sheer breadth and scope of wankery as I do) - but I'm glad I didn't bother, because along came dear Russell. If you wanted to call something really shit, surely it was this.

Quote23:05  Comedy Lab: The Russell Brand

More from the sixth year of the prestigious comedy showcase. Welcome to the weird, dark and twisted world of Russell Brand, a world that has all the distinctive characteristics of a David Lynch film.
Yeah, sixth year is right. Sixth form. Sub-sixth form. How dare they namecheck the Lynch. I honestly hope this cunt wakes up right now, realises all that he isn't and kills himself. The whacky hair, not whacky enough to spoil his looks, the appalling thick-headed old jokes, the assumedly drugged and bribed sycophantic studio audience, laughing at stuff for which down the pub they'd tell you to shut up or fuck off, AAAAAAARRGH the girls only liked you at school for your looks, mate - they tolerated your antics to your face and laughed behind your back. Jesus Horatio Christ in a pedalo, this was the most feeble attempt at a comedy act I have ever, ever seen, including students-have-a-go amateur night in my old uni bar. Truly the very worst. His parents should stop giving him money immediately. Either the call centre will knock him into shape, or like I say, suicide beckons. The Comedy Lab should have given dekionplexis a go rather than this shell of a vacuum of a prick.

Yeah, the other two programmes were worthless too, but shone in comparison.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Yep, that Russel Brand show was just crap. Were we meant to be entertained by this guy? [sarcasm] Although I loved that bit were he went through various things and said 'that was me', it was clever stuff, and funny.[/sarcasm] I don't know if I can be arsed slagging it off any more, it was just shit, there is nothing left to say. Turned over to Film 2004 afterwards so I didn't see the other two, although by the sounds of it they were shit too. What was the last decent thing on Comedy Lab?

Darrell

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"that bit were he went through various things and said 'that was me'

He was also clearly hoping that no-one had seen Blackadder II.

Darrell

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"What was the last decent thing on Comedy Lab?

The Services. And that was the first one!

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "Darrell"
Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"that bit were he went through various things and said 'that was me'

He was also clearly hoping that no-one had seen Blackadder II.
I'm sure when Blackadder did it is was funny. What was 'The Services' like? Can't remember it.

Darrell

'The Services' was the That Peter Kay Thing pilot, and was better than any of the series (though the even-numbered TPKT episodes are absolutely superb too).

It'll probably be on the DVD when it finally comes out in 2037.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Morrisfan82

I think it speaks volumes that this week's Comedy Lab passed by with no-one deeming it fit to comment on at all. Err, apart from me, now.

I tuned in just in time to miss the first one, but stuck around for 'Tracy and I', which was a mistake as I had turned off after 7 minutes in the absence of: jokes, mildly humourous situations, a plot, scenes, or characters. It was essentially a very bad student play. On TV.

Isn't it fucking tiresome giving this bullshit a pasting every week.

So is anyone here thinking of submitting tapes for the next run?

Neil

Well the first one last night was well times actually, as it gave a valuable insight into how Channel 4 goes about securing talent for shows like Comedy Lab itself.  

Basically, a couple of unfunny tossers bother lots of people until they get given money to fuck off and make a show, despite having no ideas or talent, and then Channel 4 put it on the air.

It confirmed all my beliefs.

Uncle_Z

I had not watched any of these due to universal panning but I quite enjoyed "The Indian Girl"  last night (was that Tracey & I?  I missed the first few mins).  Think it was deliberately flawed / stilted rather than badly performed, and "mainstream" as it seems a wheelchaired, voiceboxed, swearing granny with a gambling problem raised much smirkyness

Not much potential for a whole series and the lead bloke was a little too Giles Wemmbley-Hogg in places, but I enjoyed it nevertheless and would quite like to see the character in other situ.

alan strang

Quote from: "Neil"Basically, a couple of unfunny tossers bother lots of people until they get given money to fuck off and make a show, despite having no ideas or talent, and then Channel 4 put it on the air.

It confirmed all my beliefs.

You forgot to mention that Robert Katz actually made an on-screen appearence!

Neil

I didn't see that bit, I lost interest at one point and started making hot chocolate, what happened?!  I gave up on the second one before the adverts, very poor.

Morrisfan82

Oh, that's a point: does anyone who watched it know what kind of voice synthesizer they used for the old woman? It sounded fucking sweet.

Sorry, robot voices give me a metaphorical chubby for some reason.

Z, I wasn't having a pop at the actors' performance, I just meant the entire execution of the show as a piece of comedy. Or television for that matter.

alan strang

Quote from: "Neil"I didn't see that bit, I lost interest at one point and started making hot chocolate, what happened?!

Nothing worth dwelling on to be honest. Katz was shown explaining to those two dingbats that C4 give Talkback the money to make shows like their proposed Comedy Lab, while they squawked about like twats.

QuoteOh, that's a point: does anyone who watched it know what kind of voice synthesizer they used for the old woman? It sounded fucking sweet.

It was Simon Greenall off of I'm Alan Partridge!