Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,327
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:25:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"The Mary Whitehouse Experience" experience

Started by Village Branson, December 20, 2004, 06:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Ordinary

Lovely stuff, sirs (I know both your first names but feel we are purely at hat tipping stage). Thank you very much.

EDIT: Coo, that backing music at the beginning of the Baddiel interview appears to be the same piece of music Adam and Joe use in the "That sounds interesting, lets talk about it..." song. Very nice to hear.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Cor - never heard that Punt/Quantick chat before. Swapping Fringe to Flying Circus anecdotes - you don't get that on Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe. Thanks, both.

'Foreigners do the funniest things. Deliberately.'

Godzilla Bankrolls

Yeah, both went up in my estimation after I heard that. Quantick comes out with some wonderful one-liners. Did you detect the slightest resentment for Carrott there?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I've read this whole thread, really just because I can't believe that so much time has been spent discussing a programme as piffling, unfunny and irrelevent as the MWE. I was about 15/16 when it came out on TV (I never heeard the radio show, admittedly), so I was probably part of their ideal demographic, but even then the show left me cold. I hated all the Robert Smith and Brett Anderson impressions, which struck me as incredibly desperate attempts to get down with the kids, and History Today, Milk Milky, M.Kahn, none of it tickled me in the slightest. Baddiel was and is an irritating one-schtick pony, Newman's stand up was obvious and bland, and Hugh Dennis had and has the most punchable face in the history of comedy.

And as someone pointed out earlier, I really do think MWE is to blame for the glut of one joke - one line, in may cases - characters who have been delighting fuck-headed students ever since.

I absolutely adored Vic and Bob, though, and Big Night Out still warms me cockles. There's absolutely no competition, frankly, in terms of imagination and sheer gut-level hilarity. Yes, their success meant that I had to listen to berks blaring "You Wouldn't Let it Lie!" and "What's on the end of the stick, Vic!" in the common room for about 18 months, but seeing as I was one of those berks, I suppose I can't really complain.