Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:27:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Garth Marenghi Dvd Specs

Started by hamburger3, April 19, 2005, 12:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamburger3

http://garthmarenghi.com/my_news.htm

Here's a message from Garth himself with a list of features for the DVD:

Quote:

Salutations cyber-warrior/warrioress,

I'm firing off this missive to calm my flock o'chill-dren. First off the bat, thanks are due to those of you who continue to blow the torch of Darkplace, notably all at the 'Save Darkplace' website. Cheers fellas, keep up the bad work (by which I mean good work). I owe you a figurative beer. (You won't actually get a beer from me).

The news on a second season of Darkplace is thus. There is no news. Sadly the rest of the tapes of mein meisterwerk are likely to remain chez Marenghi unless the world makes some kind of evolutionary leap and catches up with my vision. And, between you, me and the proverbial, I think I might have taped over one of them with an episode of The Thornbirds. Tant pis, the digital versatile disc is nearing completion and will feature the following terrifying treatlets:

Commentaries to all episodes
Deleted scenes
Test footage
Original 'One Track Lover' Single (Extended Version)
Over an hour of extra talking heads
Photo galleries
Original radio ads
Original storyboards and storyboard to scene comparisons
Plus more

In short, it will render all previous DVDs redundant. (And shut down those shameless profiteering sons of bitches on E-bay.) I will let you know the release date as soon as I have it or pretty soon after I have it.

Till then, I remain your obedient shaman, Garth Marenghi

PS. If you were wondering what happened to the mooted repeats of Darkplace, I suggest you write to the Home Secretary.

PPS. If you happen to be in Croatia, Todd's got a new Taco commercial out there this week only.

PPPS. Do check out my website garthmarenghi.com for new content this week. Spread The Word, pilgrims.

mcbpete

Nice :D I know a lot of people on here hated the series, but I can't wait for this one to be released.

Little Tommy Titter

Wahey !!
Excellent stuff.
Didya spot him on Casanova the other week ?

hansen mork

Its been bloody ages since this was on hasnt it? Despite the shows flaws im looking forward to what seems like a well put together dvd.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

That announcement is full of thinly-veiled resentment - I'd like to know what the story behind this series is. Is it just that they're annoyed because nobody recognised their genius, or that they think the world owes them a career in comedy which hasn't been forthcoming? Or were they actually treated badly by C4?

I'd also like to know who's putting the DVD out - not C4 presumably? If they were burning the discs themselves, I'd have a certain amount of respect for them. Especially if they did the covers in felt tip.

The Mumbler

They should put it out on video only, not DVD.  Actually, they should issue it on Betamax.  Now *that*'s authenticity.

Quote from: "Little Tommy Titter"Wahey !!
Excellent stuff.
Didya spot him on Casanova the other week ?

urgh casanova is terrible.
garth marenghi was a really great series, its a crime to comedy for him to not make a second series.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Lee

Well I liked it. That looks like a pretty good DVD set, maybe if this is successful it will pave the way for some of the Fringe shows to get a release. We can but hope.

Saturday Boy

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"Ah, the virals.

Surely not? Looks more like a fanboy to me.

I doubt a proper viral would do the lower-case thing and the dissing the "hottest" drama for years bit.

Unless it's for the benefit of any journalists reading, rather than us lot?

Godzilla Bankrolls

How would you expect virals to be written? They're supposed to be inconspicuous, so what better way to do so than by doing the lower-case "just a fan!" type thing in this instance?

And just who is the mysterious hamburger3?

Howj Begg

Lalla Ward, it's just in character isn't it? The whole idea is Marenghi feels his meisterwerk Darkplace has been neglected and this continues the gag.

chav

Dunno about you but I thought this thread was about some special 3D DVD release, complete with special glasses inside. What a disappointment.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "Howj Begg"Lalla Ward, it's just in character isn't it? The whole idea is Marenghi feels his meisterwerk Darkplace has been neglected and this continues the gag.

Yes, but if Holness and Ayoade were shafted by C4 regarding repeats and the DVD release was delayed for ages due to bureaucratic boringness, then Marengi's egotism/bitterness has a certain irony to it. Or it's a case of life imitating comedy at any rate.

'You will not get a beer from me' - God, that is so fucking Partridge. Or Pegg. Or Herring. Or all three.

Saturday Boy

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"How would you expect virals to be written? They're supposed to be inconspicuous, so what better way to do so than by doing the lower-case "just a fan!" type thing in this instance?

Fair point, but I'm right in assuming that it's not for the benefit of regular board users, but more for any journalists that might need a "cult programme amongst internet users"? type quote, aren't I?

Gradual Decline

This is a bump

Looks like the DVD is finally out at the end of the month, or maybe September. Comes in a special 3 disc set:

Disc 1: The full Dark Place series.
Disc 2: A special edit version of the show, which removes any trace of Richard Ayoade and replaces him with an unknown, neutral actor.
Disc 3: A entirely different comedy show, for the people who hated Dark Place. This new, as yet untitled show doesn't feature any of the cast or crew of Dark Place.

smid

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"That announcement is full of thinly-veiled resentment - I'd like to know what the story behind this series is. Is it just that they're annoyed because nobody recognised their genius, or that they think the world owes them a career in comedy which hasn't been forthcoming? Or were they actually treated badly by C4?

The original character of Garth Marenghi was a made up character, full of resentment about the lack of recognition of his genius from his show.

The annoucement seems to be in character...

jennifer

I liked Darkplace. mainly because I was really obsessed with Sean Hudson etc as a teenager and find that genre hilarious (killer slugs in Bristol, vampire embryos in Reading, etc) . The show that won the Perrier was good too. I am not a virus.