Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:11:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alexei Sayle's Stuff on DVD!!

Started by dust, June 28, 2005, 01:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dust

Coming 5th September apparently!!  Does anyone know if it's a compilation or the complete Series 1....?  Hope it's the latter.

Alberon

Was mentioned in passing a few weeks back, but from what I can tell all sites are listing it as being three hours long, so it does seem to be the complete series 1. I've not seen any more info than that though not even a shot of the packaging.

Alberon

Found this DVD cover picture on play.com.

It might not be the final image, but it does say it is the ' The Complete Series One'

Still no details of what, if any, extras it will have.

chand

Excellent! I got a video off Amazon and it was great but my VCR didn't like it much, it'll be nice to have a full series on lovely DVD.

I'll definitely get one - I hope it's as funny as I remember it being.

dust

Quote from: "trotsky assortment"I'll definitely get one - I hope it's as funny as I remember it being.
oh it is.  I re-watched a couple of eps last week and was still practically reduced to tears.  ;)

Bean Is A Carrot

Phwoar! Can't wait. Was "Hooray For British Films" in series 1?

alan strang

Quote from: "Bean Is A Carrot"Phwoar! Can't wait. Was "Hooray For British Films" in series 1?

Sadly not. Lots of great songs there nonetheless. 'Play That Funky Music Jewish Boy' springs to mind.

Jemble Fred

'HFBF' was series three. The second series is my favourite, with 'Panic' and 'Proper Job' etc. I'm starting to wonder whether it'll be worth buying this just for the few bits that were cut out for UKGold adverts.

I recall very little about series 1.  

I know Bobby Chariot (top warm up man) arrived later. I also have very fond memories of Dick Van Dyke presenting a Mickey Mouse/Alexei Sayle parody, but I know that was series 2.

I'm Dick Van Dyke...and I hope you are too.

Bean Is A Carrot

Quote from: "trotsky assortment"I know Bobby Chariot (top warm up man) arrived later.

I could be wrong, but didn't Bobby Chariot first appear in The All New Alexei Sayle Show?

Jemble Fred

Yes indeed. That;s why it strikes me as odd to just release these series separately – surely a boxset would have sold better, and we'd have got to see TANASS and the Merry Go Round sooner?

So speaks the spoilt get with with all of Sayle bar the Merry-Go-Round on tape...

foxxvox

Can't remember if it was on this series, but can anyone confirm which of his tv shows featured a sketch where it cut away to the old BBC spinning globe and the announcer introducing Juliet Bravo.

Godzilla Bankrolls

I recently saw the first ep of Merry Go Round and it didn't make me want to see the rest of them. Fucking Edgar Wright.

Jemble Fred

It was the BBC 2 Logo, but never mind. The Juliet Bravo sketch was series 2, but Stuff played that game right from the off.

foxxvox

Cheers Jemble Fred. I presume the BBC are going to release the rest of the shows at some point now.

Just as an aside - don't suppose you know which sketch show around the same time had a Robbie Coltrane sketch about a game show called You Lucky B*****d?

The Mumbler

Might be the Robbie Coltrane Special (London Weekend Television, 1988 or 89ish).

Darrell

Quote from: "The Mumbler"Might be the Robbie Coltrane Special (London Weekend Television, 1988 or 89ish).

Which came out on VHS at one point.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "Darrell"
Quote from: "The Mumbler"Might be the Robbie Coltrane Special (London Weekend Television, 1988 or 89ish).

Which came out on VHS at one point.

At one point? I'd say it has to be in the Top Five Old Videos You See In Charity Shops But Never Seem To Have The Right Money Or Soemthing.

I swear to god I must have seen hundreds of copies of The Robbie Coltrane Special in bargain bins.

jutl

Quote from: "foxxvox"Cheers Jemble Fred. I presume the BBC are going to release the rest of the shows at some point now.

Just as an aside - don't suppose you know which sketch show around the same time had a Robbie Coltrane sketch about a game show called You Lucky B*****d?

Wasn't it "You're a Lucky Bastard" sung to a Sale Of The Century-style home-organ? I think it was in the second series of A Kick Up The Eighties. It also had Coltrane as the alien who said "Nem Nem Nem" (I think).

edit to add: although reading that article it might well have actually been Laugh??? I Nearly Paid My Licence Fee which seems to have been almost the same show but without Richard Stilgoe.

The Mumbler

Conceivably, it could have been Kick/Eighties series 2 though [early 1984] - Stilgoe was only in the first series.

foxxvox

Laugh? I Nearly Paid My Licence Fee sounds about right. Cheers guys. I doubt there would have been a video accompanying the series so it'll just have to remain a hazy memory.

Gavin

Quote from: "foxxvox"Laugh? I Nearly Paid My Licence Fee sounds about right. Cheers guys. I doubt there would have been a video accompanying the series so it'll just have to remain a hazy memory.

The only thing I remember about L?INPMLF is Coltrane as a stand-up comedian: "I'm not saying my wife's fat - I'm not married."

alan strang

Was 'Laugh...' the show where Coltrane played 'Edgar Bloodlusten'?

Here's an odd comedy memory which I've never been able to pinpoint - a Comic Strip-esque half hour comedy, all shot on film with no audience track, starring Coltrane and a few others, which was a kind of send-up of The Archers and various other rural soaps. Lots of strained repeated dialogue and people saying "I've been meaning to have a chat with you - there's something I need to get off my chest..." throughout.

At the end, the two main characters - an old married couple - relax in their living room by the fire and discover that they sudden;y have no problems to solve, nothing they need to 'get off their chest', etc.

And then a nuclear explosion wipes out Britain.

Anyone know what it was?

alan strang

Definitely not Alfresco - this just had one set-up / plot - no sketches.

It may have been a BBC2 show (might possibly have been some bizarre little one-off bit of weirdness from 'Laugh...') but had the atmosphere of something late-night from Channel 4 in the early 80s (or indeed the atmosphere of something late-evening from BBC2 in the late 70s).

I sometimes wonder whether I just dreamt it when I was 12 or something. No-one I've even met has been able to place or confirm it.

Ribbit

Quote from: "alan strang"Was 'Laugh...' the show where Coltrane played 'Edgar Bloodlusten'?

I'm sure that was the one-off special by LWT (I think), released on video.

alan strang

Quote from: "Ribbit"I'm sure that was the one-off special by LWT (I think), released on video.

He may have done it for that too (not seen it in years - all I remember of that are Simon Brint's music parodies, and yourself getting all excited over the ident in the news sketch!) but the character originally dates back to an early 80s series - I remember schoolfriends quoting it at the time.

Ribbit

Quote from: "alan strang"
Quote from: "Ribbit"I'm sure that was the one-off special by LWT (I think), released on video.

He may have done it for that too (not seen it in years - all I remember of that are Simon Brint's music parodies, and yourself getting all excited over the ident in the news sketch!) but the character originally dates back to an early 80s series - I remember schoolfriends quoting it at the time.

Ah, I see...

The Mumbler

Shitting bollocks - looks like it's the 1991 VHS compilation after all.  Unless the British Video Association site has got it wrong.  No cover art on the Amazon site (even though it's out next Monday).  That running time in itself chills the blood:

Distributor: Cinema Club
Starring: Alexei Sayle, Angus Deayton, Mark Williams
Running Time: 78
Year of Production: 1988
Main Category: Television
Genre: Comedy

Synopsis:
Manic humour from Alexei Sayle's BBC2 sketch show, including 'Beauty Miss Personal Beauty', 'The Noble Art of Verbal Abuse', and 'Unemployment and Teletext'.