Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:07:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alexei Sayle's Stuff on DVD!!

Started by dust, June 28, 2005, 01:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mumbler

...Although I just refreshed my memory using the rest of the thread, and was reminded that play have the cover art.

They also have *this* information:

Actors Alexei Sayle ; Angus Deayton ; Tony Millan ; Felicity Montagu
Director Marcus Mortimer
Certificate PG
Year 1988-91
Screen Fullscreen 4:3
Languages English - Dolby Digital (2.0) Stereo
Duration 2 hours and 54 minutes (approx)

I daren't take the plunge, though, until I know for sure.

The Mumbler

...Although I just refreshed my memory using the rest of the thread, and was reminded that play have the cover art.

They also have *this* information:

Actors Alexei Sayle ; Angus Deayton ; Tony Millan ; Felicity Montagu
Director Marcus Mortimer
Certificate PG
Year 1988-91
Screen Fullscreen 4:3
Languages English - Dolby Digital (2.0) Stereo
Duration 2 hours and 54 minutes (approx)

I daren't take the plunge, though, until I know for sure.

Darrell

All the submissions on the BBFC site are for the old BBC video release and the Paradox reissue, nothing for the Cinema Club one. So I wouldn't worry too much just yet.

Neil

Right, did anyone ever figure out which episode this monologue comes from?  It's ony of my favourite things and I've not seen it in many years.

Alexei is walking along a beach-front or suchlike, talking about the fact that the human brain only has a finite capactiy.  The whole thing is based around the notion that your brain could fill up and eventually a bit of useless trivia could knock out all sorts of important stuff, like the knowledge of how to walk or talk.

Anyone know?  Would love to see it again.

Duffy

Quote from: "Neil"Right, did anyone ever figure out which episode this monologue comes from?  It's ony of my favourite things and I've not seen it in many years.

Alexei is walking along a beach-front or suchlike, talking about the fact that the human brain only has a finite capactiy.  The whole thing is based around the notion that your brain could fill up and eventually a bit of useless trivia could knock out all sorts of important stuff, like the knowledge of how to walk or talk.

How strange! That one's always (ahem) stuck in my memory, too. As I recall, the punchline is a passer-by shouting something like "Hey Alexei! Did you know that so-and-so is the third largest port in South America?", after which Alexei loses all powers of co-ordination and speech.

I'm pretty sure I have all of "Stuff" and "All New" in one form or another, so if no-one here has that bit of memory still in place, I'll dig 'em out.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Strange that the comp is dated '1988' (when in fact it features stuff from the second series as well) while what appears to be the complete Series 1 is dated '1988-91'. It looks like they haven't a clue what's what.

The cover says 'Series 1', which is a hopeful sign.

Alberon

I'm pretty sure thats from Stuff, though no idea which one though. I do remember that that bit starts with one of my favourite lines which goes something like this.

Quote"I'm doing the new series of The Rough Guide to Europe. It's over there somewhere."

And the cover art on several internet shops clearly says "The Complete Series One" so I think we're okay here.

Jemble Fred

I'm almost certain that material's from series 2. The second series is certainly the one I've watched more than any other, many times since the age of 13 or whatever, and that gag is etched on my brain quite strongly. I'd put a fiver on it, anyway. If I had one.

niat

While we're on the subject of hazy Alexei Sayle memories, two bits stick in my mind:

1. Alexei releasing shopping trollies from a car park back "into the wild", waving his arms manically as he pushes them along.

2. The line "Our coppers are freemasons."

Are these from Series One? Are they even from "Stuff"?

Jemble Fred

Again, I'd bet on the first being from series 2 (hard to tell, as it was completely random). Don't recognise the second. The only freemason sketch I can remember is the Order fo the Pencils one, again from series 2.

dust

Quote from: "niat"1. Alexei releasing shopping trollies from a car park back "into the wild", waving his arms manically as he pushes them along.
This is from Series 3 I think...

jutl

Quote from: "Neil"Right, did anyone ever figure out which episode this monologue comes from?  It's ony of my favourite things and I've not seen it in many years.

Anyone know?  Would love to see it again.

I don't know, although I remember it too. It's based on that famous Sherlock Holmes quote from A Study In Scarlet, I think:

QuoteI consider that a man's brain originally is like a little empty attic, and you have to stock it with such furniture as you choose. A fool takes in all the lumber of every sort that he comes across, so that the knowledge which might be useful to him gets crowded out, or at best is jumbled up with a lot of other things, so that he has a difficulty in laying his hands upon it. Now the skilful workman is very careful indeed as to what he takes into his brain-attic. He will have nothing but the tools which may help him in doing his work, but of these he has a large assortment, and all in the most perfect order. It is a mistake to think that that little room has elastic walls and can distend to any extent. Depend upon it - there comes a time when for every addition of knowledge you forget something that you knew before. It is of the highest importance, therefore, not to have useless facts elbowing out the useful ones.

JCBillington

As part of their Arena 30th Anniversary, BBC4 are showing PRIVATE LIFE OF THE FORD CORTINA (1982), presented by Sayle on Monday at 9.35pm

Frinky

The above has just reminded me about one of Sayle's motoring articles in the Independant about the DeLorean - and it was full of lies and falacies, and not even for the sake of being funny (he wasn't being funny at all).

Ever since that, I've disliked him. I've never been bothered by people "selling out", but writing any old shit as a panelist for a paycheque leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.

A pointless aside, there.

Morrisfan82

*bumpa burnin love*

Did anyone get this today then? How is it?

I meant to get it earlier but Fopp is bollock-achingly useless when it comes to stocking anything that measures 'mild' or above on the obscurity scale. Unless it's something shit of course. I'll try Voigin tomorrow.

chand

I couldn't find it any-fucking-where in Manchester. I went in both HMVs, Fopp, Music Zone and WHSmith.

When I got home I went on amazon and Play, Play's page says "availability: Out now. Waiting for delivery of stock", so maybe there was a problem shipping it to stores? I dunno, I've ordered it from amazon anyway.

dust

I'm in Swindon and searched high and low - no sign of it in HMV or Virgin...

Alberon

No sign of it in Virgin in Reading.

I took a risk and pre-ordered it a few weeks back, and the internet shop I'm getting it from just says 'pending' in the order status page. So it looks like it's been delayed.

Or maybe they've been totally overwhelmed by the demand for the title and are already having to press more. Well, I can dream, can't I?

The Mumbler

The fact that amazon don't even have the cover art is not a good sign.  Still, I've ordered it - just so long as it doesn't hang about with my other purchase, PSBs' Battleship Potemkin.

Roy*Mallard

No sign in Liverpool and Play says awaiting stock - which is unusual, cos you usually get releases on the Saturday before the release date, if you have pre-ordered with 'em.

Alberon

Choices Direct says this title isn't available until 7/9 (ie tomorrow), but whether they know what they're talking about or whether the date will slip again I don't know.

chand

Woo, I went in HMV on the off-chance today and there was a copy there so I bought it and then ran home to cancel my Amazon order. Haven't watched any of it yet though.

The Mumbler

Duration: 180 mins or thereabouts?

chand

178, yeah.

EDIT: strangely, it does say on the back 'Previously released on BBC VHS (BBCV4615). Originally transmitted 13/10/1988 - 17/11/1988'. That's odd because that number's the 79-minute compilation video I've got, but I've just put the DVD in and it's definitely the full series, it has six episodes and on the menu screen it says 'THE COMPLETE SERIES ONE'.

Roy*Mallard

Yeah - Play now says it's in stock - hoorah!

The Mumbler

Thank God for that - something to look forward to near the end of the week, then!

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

chand

The big one in Manchester. They didn't have any copies on Monday but they had one on the shelf today. I hadn't checked any other places today, that was the first place I went, maybe other places will have their stock now.

Morrisfan82

Tsh, typical, I went to Virgin yesterday and they had nowt. It'll have to be next week now...

Alberon

I'm sure the answer is no, but are there any extras?