Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 24, 2024, 05:21:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Call Jonathan Pie - Centrist Dad Feel Good Comedy

Started by Consignia, September 22, 2023, 07:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TommyTurnips

I could never get over how much he looks like Joe Cornish.

New page Adam and Pie.

idunnosomename

Even the LOL RANDOM surname pisses me off.

Turns out is a real name

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_(surname)

Not very many though. And one of them is a talking pony.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: machotrouts on September 23, 2023, 08:31:28 AMThis makes for a really cutting reaction gif

I remember Robert Florence quoting that with "nae pals, colour me shocked".

druss

I know this reporter guy. Saw him once go on a rant without realising the cameras were still rolling, was so funny!

beanheadmcginty

Kankurette

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: machotrouts on September 23, 2023, 08:31:28 AMThis makes for a really cutting reaction gif

wonder how much he had he had to buy off his dommes amazon wishlist for the privilege of doing this in a field

Brundle-Fly

Putting the content aside, I don't see Tom Walker filming himself performing one of his routines in a field as any kind of 'Gotcha'. How does this X (formally Twitter) bloke thinks he makes these videos? Stop motion animation? I'm actually quite impressed that he films them on his tod without an autocue.

Egyptian Feast

I don't see it as any kind of gotcha, but it is funny watching a side view of him silently ranting at a camera in the distance. Funnier than anything I've heard him say, anyway.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on September 23, 2023, 08:14:14 PMI don't see it as any kind of gotcha, but it is funny watching a side view of him silently ranting at a camera in the distance. Funnier than anything I've heard him say, anyway.

Not that funny though. Ah well.

TommyTurnips

Kind of breaks through the super important news guy shtick to see a man ranting in a field with no camera operator or a person holding a boom mic.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: TommyTurnips on September 23, 2023, 10:36:12 PMKind of breaks through the super important news guy shtick to see a man ranting in a field with no camera operator or a person holding a boom mic.

Not really the point but this is what a 'mutli-media journalist' set up can look like in the field now, they just send 'em packing with a camera and tripod to record stuff and then upload it via laptop, that's what the tv company I was working for replaced their crews with for non-main-feature/breaking stuff when they went on a cutting spree.

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 23, 2023, 11:47:30 AMEven the LOL RANDOM surname pisses me off.

On behalf of everyone with a LOLRANDOM name that incorporates the word "pie", i find this deeply problematic

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Very poor show that no one has pointed out the original "reporter has an on-screen rant" was in the 1997 film Mad City where Dustin Hoffmann's character gets angry at having to describe the aftermath of a plane crash; there was also Mr White Goes To Westminster on Channel 4, in which the Based-on-Martin-Bell character played by Bill Patterson went off about no one caring about the Bosnia war.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 23, 2023, 11:47:30 AMEven the LOL RANDOM surname pisses me off.

Apart from Chris Morris's anchorman character referred to as 'Christopher Morris' in I'Partridge, is his name ever alluded to on TDT or BE?  There are so many silly names in TDT it's surprising he didn't go for one himself.

j_u_d_a_s

Apparently the name is based on John Pienaar. Can't find anything stating that outright but Pienaar was mentioned in Jonathan Pie's American Pie so it's probably not LOLRANDOM, just lazy hack shit.

g0m

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 24, 2023, 01:47:13 PMApart from Chris Morris's anchorman character referred to as 'Christopher Morris' in I'Partridge, is his name ever alluded to on TDT or BE?  There are so many silly names in TDT it's surprising he didn't go for one himself.

yeah, the other anchors call him Chris all the time, right? "thanks chris", "back to you, chris", that kind of thing. he could have a funny last name?

idunnosomename

It's 30 percent, Chris! Agreement was a long time coming, but in the end: the decision was unanimous.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: g0m on September 24, 2023, 02:37:31 PMyeah, the other anchors call him Chris all the time, right? "thanks chris", "back to you, chris", that kind of thing. he could have a funny last name?

Chris Pasty.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 24, 2023, 01:47:13 PMApart from Chris Morris's anchorman character referred to as 'Christopher Morris' in I'Partridge, is his name ever alluded to on TDT or BE?
It appears (as 'Christopher Morris') in on-screen captions in Brass Eye, possibly also in The Day Today.

Cloud

Turns out is a real name

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_(surname)

Not very many though. And one of them is a talking pony.

Pinkamena Diane Pie (Pinkie)
There are a few.  They forgot Limestone Pie, Marble Pie (fans called them Inky and Blinky until they were named) and Maud Pie.

But yeah Jonathan is the only human character I can think of with it and no real people came to mind.  Never heard of the others in that list. 

If they're doing characters isn't there also Miss American Pie?

Mister Six

Quote from: TommyTurnips on September 23, 2023, 10:36:12 PMKind of breaks through the super important news guy shtick to see a man ranting in a field with no camera operator or a person holding a boom mic.

Can I blow your mind for a second?

Kind of breaks through the blue-collar American family at home schtick, eh?

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: g0m on September 24, 2023, 02:37:31 PMyeah, the other anchors call him Chris all the time, right? "thanks chris", "back to you, chris", that kind of thing. he could have a funny last name?

Chris News

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Mister Six on September 24, 2023, 03:41:58 PMCan I blow your mind for a second?

Kind of breaks through the blue-collar American family at home schtick, eh?
No, because the way Roseanne is filmed isn't a framing device. If you don't think the contrast between the pomposity of Jonathan Pie (and the minds behind it) and the modest technical reality is funny then whatever, but you're making it seem like you're missing the point.

markburgle

I remember when he first appeared and was widely taken at face value, the fact it was an act took a few days to percolate.

Pretty sure that very first one was a bunch of fairly inarguable, relatable frustrations about whatever the clusterfuck of the day was (although it'd be interesting to watch it back now and see if it holds up).

Took me a while to move on from thinking him a GBL

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on September 24, 2023, 12:30:15 PMVery poor show that no one has pointed out the original "reporter has an on-screen rant" was in the 1997 film Mad City where Dustin Hoffmann's character gets angry at having to describe the aftermath of a plane crash; there was also Mr White Goes To Westminster on Channel 4, in which the Based-on-Martin-Bell character played by Bill Patterson went off about no one caring about the Bosnia war.

Always assumed it was network that these simpletons had watched in a bar with the sound down

Quote from: Cloud on September 24, 2023, 03:23:49 PMPinkamena Diane Pie (Pinkie)
There are a few.  They forgot Limestone Pie, Marble Pie (fans called them Inky and Blinky until they were named) and Maud Pie.

But yeah Jonathan is the only human character I can think of with it and no real people came to mind.  Never heard of the others in that list. 

If they're doing characters isn't there also Miss American Pie?

There was some Young Ones merchandise/material - possibly 'Bachelor Boys'? - that gave Neil's full name as Neil Pye.

Mister Six

Quote from: Jumblegraws on September 24, 2023, 04:07:19 PMNo, because the way Roseanne is filmed isn't a framing device. If you don't think the contrast between the pomposity of Jonathan Pie (and the minds behind it) and the modest technical reality is funny then whatever, but you're making it seem like you're missing the point.

I suppose I am. Jonathan Pie is a fictional character being performed by an actor - I don't expect anything off-camera in the real world to look how it's supposed to in the fictional world he inhabits, any more than I'd expect there to be actual monsters menacing the actors in Cloverfield.

Like, it looks a bit odd from the outside, but that's true of basically any behind the scenes footage. I don't think it's particularly unique to Pie or undercuts the character or anything. Especially since the character is supposed to be a sweaty bloke ranting in a field anyway, the fact that he's got a tripod (which, as mentioned, is what a lot of TV reporters have these days) rather than a dedicated cameraman doesn't seem that out of place to me.

I agree with whoever said it would be a goof reaction gif though.

Mister Six

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on September 24, 2023, 12:30:15 PMVery poor show that no one has pointed out the original "reporter has an on-screen rant" was in the 1997 film Mad City where Dustin Hoffmann's character gets angry at having to describe the aftermath of a plane crash

...because Network predates that film by 21 years?

Tags: