Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 24, 2024, 05:37:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Call Jonathan Pie - Centrist Dad Feel Good Comedy

Started by Consignia, September 22, 2023, 07:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

the jonathan pie gif isnt like showing the filming of a sitcom, its more like if someone made fun of a shit ventroquilist by focusing in on his mouth and cutting up the puppet out of shot

seeing him at an angle doing it in a field makes it look as shit and desperate as it is. the specific thing it shows is this: the act is supposed to be a journalist "losing" it on camera, dropping the mask and telling the camera what he really thinks. OK. well the problem is that there is no mask being dropped. its dog shit. there is no character being played to suggest the façade being broken by outrage.

in Network, Beatle is pushed to the limit. his character is established as professional but fragile beneath. when that fragility breaks through he has his big famous rant. if Beale was a ranting weirdo before, he wouldnt be snapping. the scene would be worthless, it would be like any other ranting madman scenes in shit 70s crime or horror flicks (which in hindsight its become since the film is more referenced than watched these days) - then the SATIRE!!! of the movie is that façade drop moment and show of vulnerability becomes a façade itself, with Beale's professionalism covered up by his new preacher image. then we get the famous conspiracy monologue "elemental forces of nature" where we see from Finch's reaction that the same vulnerability in Beale persisted across all his various personae from the professional to the populist demogogue. which reflects what he's being told by his ultimate masters: that the same emotional drives, political and economic motivations and dominating/dominated personalities govern everything. its not a fake world of telly and a real world of needs, its all the same shit. and the viewer then realises that Beale didnt, in fact, "snap" and start telling the truth - there was no build up of courage, he remained as scared and harried as ever, he just grabbed another mask when his original one was taken away. it wasnt realler than what came before. the authenticity of his rage was a sham to himself before it was a sham to the audience, and the provocative truth he touched upon was unintended. he blundered on the reality of his situation unintentionally while faking a truth-teller pose for an audience. the classic telly satire "it was all fake" moment

this is because Peter Finch kicks arse and the script was very good (if pretty fucking reactionary in parts) and its successfully structured as a satire. everything about Pie begins and ends in the exact same place and no point is a persistant persona suggested. not even a subtle one. so where's the joke? where are we seeing the mask slip or a crack in a façade or suggestions of vulnerability or hypocrisy? seeing him ranting at a camera in a field is a brilliant way to show this: this is literally all he has. thats all he's got. there is nothing else there. we dont even need the words. we dont even need his fucking face. its just waving arms about I CANT TAKE IT I GOTTA TELL YOU THE TRUTH

FeederFan500

I did watch a one-off TV version based around the US election, iirc he was a self-important arsehole and annoyed he wasn't getting the credit he felt he deserved and the persona was developed a bit more with some hubris.

In most of the YouTube clips the character is a device to take potshots at various political figures, the comedy comes from the exaggerations and wordplay. I think the scripts are quite tight, it just gets a bit samey for me.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on September 24, 2023, 04:49:37 PMAlways assumed it was network that these simpletons had watched in a bar with the sound down

Ah no, that was an anchorman, not a reporter.

shoulders

Quote from: Consignia on September 22, 2023, 07:17:27 PMIt's been slim pickings for radio 4 comedy at the moment, so I've had scrape the bottom of the BBC sounds barrel for things to listen during my runs. And the gunk coming into my eats is Call Jonathan Pie. Extending the YouTube character to a radio show.

The set up is a bit like Down The Line, except they don't have material to do something like that, so we get the bits of the behind scenes so we hear Pie talking to his crew during the travel etc. It's broadly topical; I think it's running on Radio 4 at the moment, but was fully released a couple of months ago on BBC Sounds. So the topics are broadbrush.

I think what makes it so nauesting to listen to, is that the whole set up is set with Pie being right everything. His centrist views, that both sides of the political divide are as bad as each other, that middle is the one true way, are constantly affirmed. All the callers are strawmen who exist purely to galvanise his points. His assistants also play into this. Pie is occasionally humilated, but only because he's ultimately right. There's no playful characters like Down the Line. And the swearing becomes a tad juvenile at times. It's not completely without laughs, but it's threadbare.

Anyone else listened to this? I feel it may be deliberatly poorly promoted, so I wouldn't be surprised.

One of the shittest creations of all time. I do mean that.

PlanktonSideburns

PlanktonSideburns

None the less, can I just say

I'm centrist dad as hell, and I'm not going to take it any more

Quote from: shoulders on September 24, 2023, 09:48:43 PMOne of the shittest creations of all time. I do mean that.

It's amazing to think what Tom Walker could have done with the opportunities his viral fame offered him, if he had had any talent whatsoever. Imagine being so fucking useless that you need Andrew Doyle to be your Baynham.

iamcoop

Enjoyed one of the Gibbons brothers slagging Pie on Twitter saying something like "That character that's just a man shouting at a camera with absolutely no jokes  - what is point?"

Haven't listened to it for years but I remember Tom Walker coming across as a proper defensive, unfunny and slightly aggressive weirdo on The Comedian's Comedian podcast as well.

Jumblegraws

I'm 99% sure that this comparison to Jonathan Pie has been made on CaB, but it really is just that Daily Show send-up of Mallard Fillmore manifest (albeit with a centrist perspective instead of a conservative one).

At least MF has some sort of substance around its po-faced moaning that the Daily Show could distill into pure mirthlessness for their piss-take.

Dusky Rob Roy

Quote from: Consignia on September 22, 2023, 07:17:27 PMI think what makes it so nauesting to listen to, is that the whole set up is set with Pie being right everything. His centrist views, that both sides of the political divide are as bad as each other, that middle is the one true way, are constantly affirmed. All the callers are strawmen who exist purely to galvanise his points.

James O'Brien will be suing him for copyright.

PlanktonSideburns

ThaBiggPaybacc

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on September 24, 2023, 06:27:14 PMthe act is supposed to be a journalist "losing" it on camera, dropping the mask and telling the camera what he really thinks

Even done well, this sort of thing by definition doesn't work more than once.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: ThaBiggPaybacc on October 29, 2023, 08:47:12 AMEven done well, this sort of thing by definition doesn't work more than once.
The poor boy thinks he's in Network

PlanktonSideburns

Network 4: The New Batch

Was way better than it had any right to be mind

Quote from: ThaBiggPaybacc on October 29, 2023, 08:47:12 AMEven done well, this sort of thing by definition doesn't work more than once.

Jonathan Pie continues to lose it on camera every time he presents a piece, until he dies of a stress-induced heart attack at the age of 37. As the final episode finishes, the camera dollies back to reveal a screen in the TV gallery showing his rant as members of the news team gather round. In a meta reveal, every Jonathan Pie clip has been being shared secretly by Jonathan's colleagues, with Jonathan being blissfully unaware that anyone else was watching them. The camera dollies back a bit further, and the ghost of Pie is watching his colleagues watching, realising in horror for the first time that he was a laughing stock. He opens his mouth to begin a new rant, and the picture cuts to black.

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on September 24, 2023, 05:26:12 PMThere was some Young Ones merchandise/material - possibly 'Bachelor Boys'? - that gave Neil's full name as Neil Pye.

Neil Weedon Watkyns Pye.

PlanktonSideburns

Ah fair

I guess he could be both of these things

Tags: