Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 24, 2024, 08:42:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Caroline Aherne: Queen of Comedy - New BBC2 Celebration on Christmas Day

Started by holyzombiejesus, December 17, 2023, 07:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snrub

Quote from: neveragain on December 22, 2023, 06:20:36 PMThere's also Here We Go, Not Going Out and the Martin Kemp mock-doc. Dawn French's Twat show is also on at some point (viewable now on iPlayer). Agree there's not as many though. Bit of a slim Christmas.

Haven't listened to the pod - and I will do as it sounds right up my alley - I think there is a wider point beyond Christmas that I think there is an Ofcom survey that in real terms the amount of new comedy being commissioned in the UK across all channels is significantly down Vs 10/20 years ago and the worry particularly that the talent pool is not getting the chance to be nurtured. I'm sure a conversation for elsewhere on here

superthunderstingcar

Twilkes

Quote from: superthunderstingcar on December 24, 2023, 08:09:13 AMThe Sooty Show spinoff we didn't know we needed.

Please don't joke like that, I'm still getting over the disappointment of Supermarket Sweep.

jobotic

Quote from: Thosworth on December 18, 2023, 07:12:33 AMStandup from 1995, with a giant DOG added by an idiot. Perfect example of how delivery elevates material. On paper there'd only be a couple of laughs there, but the delivery and asides render the weaker parts hilarious

I found that so funny. Proper laughing.

The Mollusk

Quote from: The Mollusk on December 26, 2023, 12:05:09 AMLovely tribute. Got me quite wet around the eyes.

Wasn't it just. Maybe it was the Christmas booze but I was also doing my best to suppress a tear.

Gawd, she was good.

kalowski

Would love to know where she lived in Timperley. It's only round the corner.
That whole bunch, Aherne, Cash, Coogan, Thompson, Normal had such funny bones. Utterly brilliant talents.

jobotic

Yeah that was lovely. I'm not a big fan of the Royle Family but the stuff about her earlier life was brilliant, as was the Mrs Merton stuff.

No mention of Hook by anyone.

Quote from: jobotic on December 26, 2023, 11:00:43 AMYeah that was lovely. I'm not a big fan of the Royle Family but the stuff about her earlier life was brilliant, as was the Mrs Merton stuff.

No mention of Hook by anyone.

I remember being at the Hacienda when Hooky- in all his macho Revenge era leather gear, trying to look hard- was being berated loudly by Caroline. Him looking really sheepish whilst we all stood around laughing.

Not really so funny now looking back, knowing what we know about their relationship

lauraxsynthesis

The doc got a 5 star review in the Guardian. Lots of it was well done and the emotion from Cash, Coogan etc very moving. It bothered me though that while they were talking about the harassment from the tabloids, they also showed loads of intrusive photos taken for the tabloids. That seemed pretty off to me.

jobotic

She really came across as someone you'd like to have been friends with.

Kankurette

Brilliant tribute. I got very weepy during it. Especially when Cash had to walk out because talking about her cancer was too painful for him.

The bit with Bernard Manning made me cringe. She clearly wasn't comfortable having him there.

I think she was great of course, but yet again the BBC are more comfortable celebrating dead comedy talents than growing new ones.

These days Caroline Aherne would have done a few Edinburgh shows, got to do an office run through of a Miss Merton show and ended up sliding into acting or out of the business due to commissioner disinterest.

emmett85

checkoutgirl

For one glorious hour the entire population of the house sat down and managed to shut the fuck up. Transfixed on the unfolding story of Aherne's life and career. It was quite tragic and moving towards the end.

Was a tiny bit disappointed at the dearth of time dedicated to The Fast Show because as iconic as The Royle Family is, the one show that you could make an argument is even more iconic is The Fast Show.

Was a nice touch to have it bookended by  The Fast Show Christmas Special and Mrs Merton, a sort of Caroline Aherne Night if you will.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: kalowski on December 26, 2023, 10:01:06 AMWould love to know where she lived in Timperley. It's only round the corner.
That whole bunch, Aherne, Cash, Coogan, Thompson, Normal had such funny bones. Utterly brilliant talents.

Wasn't Frank Sidebottom from Timperley?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: jobotic on December 26, 2023, 03:14:30 PMShe really came across as someone you'd like to have been friends with.

One thing that stood out to me was that she had the same mates from growing up and stuck by them as her star rose. Very down to earth and none of this running off being mates with Jonathan Ross for her.

Although she did marry the guy from New Order and I'm sure I saw a photo of her with Joseph Feines in the documentary. And she did go to the Groucho but she was very famous at the time and was probably avoiding being hassled by the public rather than trying to befriend Elton John.

Toki

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 26, 2023, 11:50:13 PMWasn't Frank Sidebottom from Timperley?

Yeah! Still there in statue form. I seem to remember reading Sievey felt betrayed about them all going on to be more famous than him, or something like that.

I'm roughly halfway through this program. I don't think I have the emotional capability to go through the latter half at the moment. It seemed melancholy enough from the start. Can't be doing with getting even a little teary eyed right now.

kalowski

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 26, 2023, 11:50:13 PMWasn't Frank Sidebottom from Timperley?
Sort of. He was born in nearby Ashton on Mersey and moved there as an adult. Well, I'm talking about Chris Sievey. I suppose Frank was from Timperley.

The Mollusk

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 26, 2023, 11:57:01 PMOne thing that stood out to me was that she had the same mates from growing up and stuck by them as her star rose. Very down to earth and none of this running off being mates with Jonathan Ross for her.

I never knew till watching this that the audience members she interacts with as Mrs Merton were her old neighbours whom she'd presumably known since she was a child. Never derisive or using them for comic effect either, always striking a balance between professional host and amiable friend to create a level playing field between them and the celebrity guests. There was absolutely zero pretence there, in fact she always seemed most in awe of those old friends as she would say she wished she could write the things they ask and would always be so accommodating towards them. What a wonderful soul.

neveragain

Pink Gregory

definitely a choice, and probably the right choice for personal recollections, that it focused on her as a writer rather than a performer, so it makes sense to skip over the Fast Show and focus more on stuff that was really uniquely hers.

another one of those things which makes you lament what fucking animals the tabloid press in this country are.

Brundle-Fly

She used to keep a handwritten fan letter on her person to darkly amuse herself. It read something along the lines of,

'Dear Caroline, I'm writing to express my great admiration for you as an excellent comedy actress. I have followed your career for many years enjoying: The Fast Show, The World Of Lee Evans, The Mrs Merton Show, Mrs Merton in Las Vegas, Mrs Merton & Malcom, The Royle Family and many, many other tv programmes. You also remind me so much of my own dear late wife...

P.T.O

...who I regrettably murdered twenty five years ago so I'm currently serving a life sentence at HMP Wakefield. You're the very spitting image of her!!

I know you're probably super busy but it would be lovely for you to visit me sometime or when I'm finally released, to perhaps meet up for dinner?

Yours sincerely

etc

Consignia

Quote from: kalowski on December 26, 2023, 10:01:06 AMWould love to know where she lived in Timperley.

If the picture of the house on the documentary was accurate, I found it and visited it today.

Kankurette

Quote from: Wacky Homemade Badges on December 26, 2023, 09:52:02 PMI think she was great of course, but yet again the BBC are more comfortable celebrating dead comedy talents than growing new ones.

These days Caroline Aherne would have done a few Edinburgh shows, got to do an office run through of a Miss Merton show and ended up sliding into acting or out of the business due to commissioner disinterest.
I wonder if you'd get someone like Caroline Aherne these days, isn't it harder for working-class comedians to break through?

poodlefaker

Quote from: The Mollusk on December 27, 2023, 11:06:15 AMI never knew till watching this that the audience members she interacts with as Mrs Merton were her old neighbours whom she'd presumably known since she was a child. Never derisive or using them for comic effect either, always striking a balance between professional host and amiable friend to create a level playing field between them and the celebrity guests. There was absolutely zero pretence there, in fact she always seemed most in awe of those old friends as she would say she wished she could write the things they ask and would always be so accommodating towards them. What a wonderful soul.

Bit awks when some of them started laughing along with Bernard Manning tho. Looked like she was working hard to bring it round, fair play.

The Mollusk

And yet despite bricking it she managed to keep much of her cool and make him feel uncomfortable, in a way that the audience didn't know how to respond but probably at least had a rethink about some things afterwards. Such a difficult thing to put yourself through as a young female comedian on your breakout show! Heroic.

prelektric

I really want to watch this, I absolutely adore her work, but some of her background is far, far too close to home for me. I can't do it. I can't watch it. I know she was wonderful, and complicated, and much loved by her friends and peers.

I also had retinoblastoma as a 4 month old in 1978, and lost an eye to it. Full on enucleation though, no radiotherapy, it was caught in time - if it wasn't for my mother noticing a problem with my right eye (the pupil was cloudy and the eye not moving properly) - I would not be here today.

The nature of my retinoblastoma was apparently sporadic - not familial like in Caroline's case - I had many genetic screening sessions for the RB gene up to the age of 21 - but ultimately there is a 50/50 chance I could pass that down. I'm not going to take that chance. Caroline and her elder brother had a much higher chance of passing the RB gene down, since it seemed to be familial to them.

Unfortunately, with cases of retinoblastoma that run in the family, there is a significantly higher risk of secondary cancers later in life.

Anyway, those of you with very young kids - from birth to around 6 yrs old - please be mindful, and check their eyes often. Anything strange, get it checked out immediately.

As an adult survivor of retinoblastoma (so far) I donate a lot to the Childhood Eye Cancer Trust. Not sure if Barry is going to like a link to it but hopefully he understands.

https://chect.org.uk

mr. logic

Those selfies from Costa were so lovely, she really did have a contempt for fame and all that didn't she? Or just no interest at all, maybe. Top lass.

Tags: