Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 24, 2024, 06:54:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Caroline Aherne: Queen of Comedy - New BBC2 Celebration on Christmas Day

Started by holyzombiejesus, December 17, 2023, 07:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prelektric

Quote from: mr. logic on December 27, 2023, 10:42:16 PMThose selfies from Costa were so lovely, she really did have a contempt for fame and all that didn't she? Or just no interest at all, maybe. Top lass.

Kankurette

It runs in her family, bad eyesight. Her brother's blind.

Prelectric, it's a wise idea as there is a fair bit about her cancer at the end and I cried quite a bit.

GolazoDan

Haven't watched the documentary yet but did watch the Mrs Merton episode before and really, really enjoyed it. I've never seen much Mrs Merton (outside of the Debbie McGee clip) but definitely gonna find some more episodes to watch. Kriss Akabusi had a lovely old time and the interview with Steve Coogan was very sweet in that you could tell what great mates they were (while she constantly made fun of him). If Alan Partridge got his second series he should've had Caroline on. Fucking Hayers.

The Royle Family Christmas ep was obvs lovely as well, last few minutes always get me. To make everyone cry in the same scene as "are you sure it wasn't a big piss", magic.

idunnosomename

Quote from: prelektric on December 27, 2023, 10:25:34 PMI really want to watch this, I absolutely adore her work, but some of her background is far, far too close to home for me. I can't do it. I can't watch it. I know she was wonderful, and complicated, and much loved by her friends and peers.

I also had retinoblastoma as a 4 month old in 1978, and lost an eye to it. Full on enucleation though, no radiotherapy, it was caught in time - if it wasn't for my mother noticing a problem with my right eye (the pupil was cloudy and the eye not moving properly) - I would not be here today.

The nature of my retinoblastoma was apparently sporadic - not familial - I had many genetic screening sessions up to the age of 21 - but ultimately there is a 50/50 chance I could pass that down. I'm not going to take that chance. Caroline had a much higher chance of passing it down.

Anyway, those of you with very young kids - from birth to around 6 yrs old - please be mindful, and check their eyes often. Anything strange, get it checked out immediately.

As an adult survivor of retinoblastoma (so far) I donate a lot to the Childhood Eye Cancer Trust. Not sure if Barry is going to like a link to it but hopefully he understands.

https://chect.org.uk
it's definitely an important thing to be aware of.

she was all-but blind in one eye and her brother Patrick totally monocular (although I don't think he had an enucleation?)

prelektric

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 28, 2023, 12:09:30 AMit's definitely an important thing to be aware of.

she was all-but blind in one eye and her brother Patrick totally monocular (although I don't think he had an enucleation?)

Reports vary.

I'm glad I had the enucleation - not that I had a choice, being 4 months old, it did save my life though. It's not so bad being monocular. I didn't have to pretend to be wowed by watching Avatar in 3D. Plus I have a fabulous party trick with my prosthetic eye and an Ouija board.

Anyway back to Caroline - I may bring myself to watch this programme at some point. It's just difficult, I'm not in that head space right now.

phes

No surprise to see that Three Salons at the Seaside was a big influence on her work. It's an absolute cracker. Very tough to see the loss that Cash in particular so obviously struggles with. They were very lucky to have had each other.

Watching that interview with Manning just brought to mind certain ageing comedians today. We could do with a Mrs Merton right now

Kankurette

I wonder if anyone would pull that off now. The backlash from GB News et al would be off the charts and Aherne would be condemned for being woke.

prelektric

Quote from: phes on December 28, 2023, 01:25:24 AMVery tough to see the loss that Cash in particular so obviously struggles with. They were very lucky to have had each other.

I knew I was right to wait. I'm not ready to see that.

rjd2

Quote from: poodlefaker on December 27, 2023, 09:32:19 PMBit awks when some of them started laughing along with Bernard Manning tho. Looked like she was working hard to bring it round, fair play.

She clearly liked her audience so it must have hurt when so many were clapping him on, nonetheless I thought she brought it round and finished that interview well. Its hard to "own" someone like Manning because he is shameless but I doubt he enjoyed the interview anyway.

non capisco

I may be misremembering as it wasn't shown in the documentary but I recall the audience souring on Manning when he started trying to bully Richard Wilson.

jonnyunitus

Quote from: non capisco on December 28, 2023, 08:24:46 AMI may be misremembering as it wasn't shown in the documentary but I recall the audience souring on Manning when he started trying to bully Richard Wilson.

I watched the full episode a few days ago and that's pretty much exactly how it pans out, they actually start to boo him at that point. Mrs Merton was even funnier than I remember, really enjoying my rewatch at the moment. The Joanna Lumley episode is particularly funny with a bonus appearance by Cash as Malcolm

Virgo76

Quote from: jonnyunitus on December 28, 2023, 08:37:29 AMI watched the full episode a few days ago and that's pretty much exactly how it pans out, they actually start to boo him at that point. Mrs Merton was even funnier than I remember, really enjoying my rewatch at the moment. The Joanna Lumley episode is particularly funny with a bonus appearance by Cash as Malcolm
Did Manning know about Wilson's homosexuality? Is that why he was so hostile to him? As I recall, his sexuality wasn't widely known about at that time.
Nice to be reminded just how thoroughly loathsome Manning was.

jonnyunitus

Quote from: Virgo76 on December 29, 2023, 07:54:03 AMDid Manning know about Wilson's homosexuality? Is that why he was so hostile to him? As I recall, his sexuality wasn't widely known about at that time.
Nice to be reminded just how thoroughly loathsome Manning was.

That's a good question, and not something I'd thought about. It doesn't come up during the show, but maybe that was a contributing factor. He starts off by being quite complementary towards him but as soon as Aherne starts to call him out he becomes more and more hostile towards Wilson. Classic bullying cunt deflection tactics, I guess!

privatefriend

Three Salons at the Seaside is on iplayer, not the best quality though.

neveragain

Quote from: privatefriend on December 30, 2023, 12:15:38 PMThree Salons at the Seaside is on iplayer, not the best quality though.

Also - look for the parody of it starring Cate Blanchett and Harriet Walter, an episode of Documentary Now! entitled 'Two Hairdressers in Bagglyport'. Very funny.

gilbertharding

There just happened to be a lovely cameo from Herne and Cash in the Victoria Wood Xmas special they aired on the 23rd.

lazyhour

Quote from: gilbertharding on December 30, 2023, 07:34:51 PMThere just happened to be a lovely cameo from Herne and Cash in the Victoria Wood Xmas special they aired on the 23rd.

Was it The Herne or just A Herne?

idunnosomename

almost certain he wouldn't have known Wilson was gay. He wasn't publicly outed until fifteen years later, and he's never been in a public relationship with another man. I probably didn't find out until 2013, can't remember, obvs I don't really care, none of my business really.

Thing is for these homophobic chuds, their Gaydar isn't very hot, even for people like Rob Halford who write songs about going to a gay bar in a specific gay district and having gay sex.

The Mollusk

Quote from: gilbertharding on December 30, 2023, 07:34:51 PMThere just happened to be a lovely cameo from Herne and Cash in the Victoria Wood Xmas special they aired on the 23rd.

Top fuckin class that special was

Snrub

Quote from: poodlefaker on December 30, 2023, 08:35:20 PMWilson was a well known celebrity leftie though, wasn't he?

Having watched the episode in full tonight, I think Manning is probably more offended at Wilson being a southerner and a "luvvie" as he starts going off on a bitter tangent about him talking like he's got a plum in his mouth etc before trying to convince everyone "eh, we're having fun here aren't we". Also genuinely didn't know Wilson was gay myself until reading this thread...! Wilson himself comes across superbly the whole time, although more of the audience were still chuckling quite heartily at Bernard at the end than I thought there might be given the comments in the doc.

The documentary was superb, I noticed Craig Cash was listed first in the credits as a consultant and obviously a ton of the archive came from him and why it focuses on this hits rather than the misses, but I would like to have heard some more about Mrs Merton and Malcom and the contrast between that and making the Royle Family at the same time. I totally get why they didn't and it was one of those things that could be twice as long and would never scratch the surface

On Frank Sidebottom - I'm sure I read somewhere that the first public outings for Mrs Merton were on Frank's radio show.

non capisco

Quote from: Snrub on December 30, 2023, 11:40:49 PMHaving watched the episode in full tonight, I think Manning is probably more offended at Wilson being a southerner 

"Yer soft southern shite....from Inverclyde."

The Bumlord

Quote from: Snrub on December 30, 2023, 11:40:49 PMHaving watched the episode in full tonight, I think Manning is probably more offended at Wilson being a southerner

wat

holyzombiejesus

The thing I remember most about Mrs Merton was her getting Peter Stringfellow to demonstrate "sixties dancing" and it being one of the most toe curling things I'd ever seen.

idunnosomename

Wilson has lived in London since 1959, this 1999 article via Wikipedia.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12268853.hes-all-the-rage/

don't think there's any lore about Victor and Margaret being from Scotland even though the actors both have obviously Scottish accents? that's more for the other, actual OFitG thread sorry

Virgo76

Quote from: poodlefaker on December 30, 2023, 08:35:20 PMWilson was a well known celebrity leftie though, wasn't he?

Interesting to compare to this earlier friendly meeting between Manning and Kenneth Williams.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2omqlr

Manning presumably had no idea Williams was gay either. And Williams most definitely wasn't a lefty!

Snrub

Quote from: non capisco on December 30, 2023, 11:46:50 PM"Yer soft southern shite....from Inverclyde."

Ha, yeah, fair enough I'm thick.

What I kind of meant was Manning keeps going on about Wilson coming all the way up from London to record the show.

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 31, 2023, 12:13:01 AMWilson has lived in London since 1959, this 1999 article via Wikipedia.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12268853.hes-all-the-rage/

don't think there's any lore about Victor and Margaret being from Scotland even though the actors both have obviously Scottish accents? that's more for the other, actual OFitG thread sorry

I was wondering the same thing when watching OFitA the other night.

lipsink

The bit where Merton asks Eubank about having another man "lick him in the ring". It seems like maybe he's thinking she's being homophobic and implying he's gay? He must've faced a lot of that in his time? It's clear he isn't sure quite what's going on.

I will have to rewatch 'Queen of Sheba' but I remember it not exactly being this genius masterpiece that everyone's claiming it was now. Even from the clips they showed it reminded me how the humour was just way too broad at that point and all the subtlety has gone from the show.

Snrub

I think the praise for the Queen of Sheba was as hyperbolic at the time as it was in the documentary - I remember it being incredibly well received, although I suspect that may well be because of the emotions around Nana rather that it being the funniest episode. I haven't seen it myself since it was broadcast though.

It's absolutely right that the show got broader from there and the following however many specials were atrocious. I'd have like to have known how her and Cash felt about anything post Queen Of Sheba which were very much diminishing returns

Tags: