Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 24, 2024, 07:13:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Caroline Aherne: Queen of Comedy - New BBC2 Celebration on Christmas Day

Started by holyzombiejesus, December 17, 2023, 07:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

As said above this could have been done with being twice as long at least. I appreciate we're lucky to get as much as we did and 70 minutes seems like a fulsome timeslot on paper but it seemed to go like that when watched leaving loads of her ouvre barely explored. I know The Fast Show wasn't her baby (and has been eulogised at length elsewhere) but she still wrote her own stuff for it and it featured some of her more iconic characters so it seemed to get very short shrift here, I think those characters were nearly as important as Mrs Merton in establishing her as a household name.

^ Re: Sheba and the ensuing 4 vastly inferior Xmas specials, I was interested in how they were gonna spin those as those last 4 really might no hyperbole be the furthest a once immaculate sitcom has ever fallen quality wise, and of course the (correct given their limitations) solution in the limited time is to sell Sheba as the triumphant valedictory comeback and ignore the rest, anything else would complicate and sour the celebratory narrative.

kalowski

A complete guess here but did the broadness coincide with Phil Mealey joining writing the show? Think it was only Cash and Aherne at the start wasn't it?

ajsmith2

Quote from: kalowski on January 03, 2024, 11:42:34 AMA complete guess here but did the broadness coincide with Phil Mealey joining writing the show? Think it was only Cash and Aherne at the start wasn't it?

Indeed, looks like Mealey joined as co writer for the specials:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Royle_Family_episodes

idunnosomename

But Henry Normal was co-writer in 1, Carmel Morgan in 2, and no co-writer in 3 so doesn't quite tell the story in itself.

Tomlinson also always gets an additional material credit, at least in the series (cant be arsed checking the specials)

neveragain

Mealey is definitely broader so I do put some of the blame on him, and the rest on Aherne's private problems affecting the work.

I think Series 3 is still great, despite some people maligning it. There's maybe a couple of episodes at the start that are a bit low on jokes and the crying over the baby monitor gets a bit much, but Elsie's funeral, Antony going to London and the Christening are wonderful episodes.

jsgibble

I've mentioned it on here before but Series 3 and the post-Queen of Sheba specials were directed by Aherne, whereas the good stuff wasn't.

Tags: