Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,608,292
  • Total Topics: 107,130
  • Online Today: 730
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

May 25, 2024, 06:19:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Footlights and interesting videos

Started by Barry Admin, April 17, 2024, 06:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Not sure I've ever seen this before, looks cracking:

He also has this fascinating video:

QuoteI'm not quite sure how I got hold of this.... A very hard to find recording of the 1977 Cambridge Footlights Revue called Tag!, which was televised on BBC2. It stars a beardless Rory McGrath, future Cold Feet star Robert Bathurst, future Artisitc Director of the National Theatre (now Sir) Nicholas Hytner, future Hat-Trick MD Jimmy Mulville, future Hollywood producer Martin Bergman, plus Paul Hudson and Carrie Simcocks (not sure what happened to them). The show was directed by Griff Rhys Jones, who was one of the writers, along with Bergman, McGrath, Mulville and Hytner. The music was by my future boss at Talkback, Peter Fincham.

Barry Admin

God his channel's amazing:

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on April 17, 2024, 08:04:48 PMshit, there goes my evening

Ha, likewise. That's an amazing find Barry, before now I hadn't known that Robert Llewellyn had been on tv prior to Red Dwarf, or that Clive Anderson started out as a stand up.

Glebe

Great stuff, will give it all a watch!

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 17, 2024, 06:37:16 PMNot sure I've ever seen this before, looks cracking:

Many thanks for flagging all that - and the channel; so much really interesting stuff.

Have a feeling that clips from that documentary have been used as archive footage for other documentaries - so will see if anything logs my memory!

lauraxsynthesis

It's a night for Cookie rarities wow. Will try to get a watch in before the Cambridge meetup.

lauraxsynthesis

Richard Murdoch: "I think one or two of the Footlights lately have been almost as good as they think they are"

JesusAndYourBush

Here's a 5 min excerpt of a radio show that hasn't been 100% positively identified but which is most likely "The Cambridge University Footlights Take The Mike", broadcast 25th August 1954, featuring Leslie Bricusse, Frederic Raphael, Brian Marber, David Conyers, Jonathan Miller.
If anyone is able to match any of those names to any of the voices then that would help confirm that this is a correct identification.

The style of comedy seems at least 10 years ahead of its' time, one reason that's made it hard to identify because people kept suggesting 60s shows that I know it isn't.

lauraxsynthesis

Yeah a few of those bits sound like Miller especially the football results reader at the beginning. I imagine he did the lion roaring as well as he liked doing animal sounds

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 17, 2024, 06:45:09 PMGod his channel's amazing:

Nice Rik find! I hadn't realised the Dickie character was more fleshed out than what we saw on The Young Ones. It's great.

non capisco

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 17, 2024, 06:45:09 PMGod his channel's amazing:

Blimey, just a bit! Cheers for bringing it to my attention!

Gonna start watching everything on there NOW as the last similarly fascinating YouTube channel I was led to, where someone had uploaded a ton of old 70s ITV pop music shows and which I discovered last thing on a Saturday night before turning in thinking "Fuckin yassss, that's a lazy Sunday sorted", was cruelly a dead link by dawn.

Yes this channel is absolutely cracking. Just been watching the dastardly Jimmy Mulville in the Who Dares Wins pilot, before that it was all the Kevin Turvey clips. God I love Kevin Turvey.

lauraxsynthesis

Wait, FULL EPISODES OF BOOM BOOM, OUT GO THE LIGHTS?!?!?!?!!!!

That's something I never imagined I'd see. All the content on this channel - my ADHD can't handle it.

Dawn French mentioned An Evening for Nicaragua in her autobiography. I don't think she said it was filmed.

So much The Oblivion Boys stuff on there. I didn't know they were on telly so much. 

Can we create CaB awards so this dude can get one?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on April 18, 2024, 10:51:40 PMWait, FULL EPISODES OF BOOM BOOM, OUT GO THE LIGHTS?!?!?!?!!!!

That's something I never imagined I'd see.

Weren't they on the recent Young Ones Blu-Ray?

Fake EDIT: yes.

Quote from: Shouty Amazon ListingAND FOR THE FIRST TIME, BOTH EPISODES OF 'BOOM BOOM... OUT GO THE LIGHTS', INTRODUCED BY THE PRODUCER WHO PUT ALTERNATIVE COMEDY ON THE TELLY

Ambient Sheep

As for this channel, yes, what a brilliant find, thanks Barry!

Best to get YTD-ing before it all vanishes...

lauraxsynthesis

I really ought to get that Young Ones blu-ray

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on April 19, 2024, 12:46:49 PMWeren't they on the recent Young Ones Blu-Ray?

Fake EDIT: yes.

There were two episodes? Everything I've ever seen referred to it as a one off special.

JesusAndYourBush

A shame they've all got horrible echoing and phasing to deter the copyright algorithm from nobbling them, as it also deters me from watching them.  Try and get through Lenny Henry's intro to the Saturday Live pilot without wanting to rip your ears off.(And no not because it's Lenny Henry LOL.)

Spudgun

'New' Kevin Turvey footage (at least to me), being interviewed by Russell Harty:

Phenomenal ending.

Spoiler alert
Kevin doesn't like a question, so he walks off unexpectedly, only to return seven minutes later (going by the timecode) during the next interview when he finally thinks of a comeback.
[close]

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 19, 2024, 04:20:54 PMA shame they've all got horrible echoing and phasing to deter the copyright algorithm from nobbling them

Is that what it is? I assumed it was a botched mono -> stereo conversion attempt. But, yeah, they're now uploading sketches from Not the Nine O'Clock News, so I'm not convinced this channel will be staying up too much longer.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Spudgun on April 19, 2024, 05:35:45 PMIs that what it is? I assumed it was a botched mono -> stereo conversion attempt. But, yeah, they're now uploading sketches from Not the Nine O'Clock News, so I'm not convinced this channel will be staying up too much longer.

I thought so, but in "Boom Boom Out Go The Lights" #1 at 9:17 there's a clicking sound and the echo goes, but after that there's still an odd resonance. It seems more like something that's happened in the 'analogue realm' than any digital shenanigans.  I don't know what you'd have to do to make this happen to a video, I've never encountered it.

Spudgun

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 19, 2024, 07:31:39 PMI thought so, but in "Boom Boom Out Go The Lights" #1 at 9:17 there's a clicking sound and the echo goes, but after that there's still an odd resonance. It seems more like something that's happened in the 'analogue realm' than any digital shenanigans.  I don't know what you'd have to do to make this happen to a video, I've never encountered it.

If you've got two identical audio tracks, but one of them is delayed by a fraction of a second, that's what it sounds like. That glitch in Boom Boom you mention seems to reduce the delay, but not entirely eliminate it. Some sort of sync issues going on, I think. (He's also uploading at 30fps, which is a bit of a cardinal sin for PAL video, but never mind. Still grateful.)

JesusAndYourBush

Wait, I have encountered something like it before, one of the Bobbie Gentry episodes that was broadcast recently had a similar phasing effect (and I can confirm it went out like this on the recent repeat and isn't a youtube screwup). The episode is in b&w and is, I assume, a telerecording made for overseas, as the original was in colour.  So presumably caused by 2 audio channels being out of sync and being combined to mono.