Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:45:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rugby League 2024

Started by dr beat, February 11, 2024, 06:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snrub

Yeah couple of corkers on Sky tonight. Was flicking between Leigh Vs Leeds and Saints/Salford every thirty seconds at the end.

Leigh really should have put the game to bed long before Leeds had a sniff. Leeds played some good stuff to win it thought to be fair.

dr beat

Looks like Degsy Beaumont was at the cooking sherry again last night: https://twitter.com/derek_beaumont/status/1766220836111851858?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

QuoteThat is why the game is not investable and needs an absolute overall! I have kept quiet till now! Council meeting Wednesday and I will do my talking there! I will not sit and watch our game be driven into the ground! Fine me but you will not silence me! Game on

An absolute overall? Presumably a leopard-skin one.

dr beat

Leeds v Saints is very much living up to expectations.

dr beat

Watched Melbourne v Nz Warriors this morning.  Home team were 18-10 up HT, then NZ went ahead 18-26.  Melbourne then score with 2 minutes left, and then won it on the last play of the game with an absolutely wondertry.  Deffo worth a look on YouTube.

Gulftastic

That try was bloody ridiculous.

As were some of the stupid fucking errors from Leeds. The coaching is, and has been for nearly a decade, so mediocre.

Old Thrashbarg

Losing by 50 at home to a previously winless team feels like a bad result. I'm not enjoying this season.

Gulftastic

I watched Rugby League for nearly 4 decades now but I'm not sure I've ever seen FC in such a bad place, even in relegation times.

There seems to be something rotten running through the club from top to bottom.

Schrodingers Cat

Quote from: Gulftastic on March 17, 2024, 12:07:56 AM
Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on March 16, 2024, 10:43:46 PMLosing by 50 at home to a previously winless team feels like a bad result. I'm not enjoying this season.
I watched Rugby League for nearly 4 decades now but I'm not sure I've ever seen FC in such a bad place, even in relegation times.

There seems to be something rotten running through the club from top to bottom.

Could be worse - could be Cas.
I'm trying to accept and come to terms with the fact that this season is our final one in Super League. I just can't see any set of circumstances where that isn't the case.

mikeyg27

You guys are being mad pessimistic when the Broncos are pretty openly not even trying to stay up this year.

Talking of which, just got back from my first Broncos SL game in quite a while. Something that comes across far more at live games than on TV is size discrepancies, and they're just so much more lightweight than other teams. They also kept compounding errors with further errors. I think they'll sneak a win or two against some team who can't be arsed on the day but there's no way they're not finishing bottom. Still, AFC Wimbledon is a neat little ground and a mere 1hr10mins to get there and back, which is I think the closest any Broncos ground has been to me (if they were still at Ealing though the Elizabeth Line would've literally halved the time it takes to get there now).

I'm not sure if Warrington are the real deal (need to see them do more against the top three) but they at least seem like they're not a Fuck Around And Get Found Out team this year, so that's an improvement.

dr beat

I watched the Broncos v Wigan last weekend and I thought they were better than the 60 points against would suggest, but yeah way too many daft errors.

Mr Eggs

Quote from: mikeyg27 on March 17, 2024, 06:15:35 PMI'm not sure if Warrington are the real deal (need to see them do more against the top three) but they at least seem like they're not a Fuck Around And Get Found Out team this year, so that's an improvement.

Seems a bit competent does Sam Burgess. Absolutely disgusted. I wanted cocaine madness and a load of busted-arse NRL pensioners flown in to slag off.

Stef Ratchford. What a sex bomb that lad is.

Schrodingers Cat

Quote from: mikeyg27 on March 17, 2024, 06:15:35 PMYou guys are being mad pessimistic when the Broncos are pretty openly not even trying to stay up this year.

Talking of which, just got back from my first Broncos SL game in quite a while. Something that comes across far more at live games than on TV is size discrepancies, and they're just so much more lightweight than other teams. They also kept compounding errors with further errors. I think they'll sneak a win or two against some team who can't be arsed on the day but there's no way they're not finishing bottom. Still, AFC Wimbledon is a neat little ground and a mere 1hr10mins to get there and back, which is I think the closest any Broncos ground has been to me (if they were still at Ealing though the Elizabeth Line would've literally halved the time it takes to get there now).

I'm not sure if Warrington are the real deal (need to see them do more against the top three) but they at least seem like they're not a Fuck Around And Get Found Out team this year, so that's an improvement.

It's not London who are the problem for us. After the preliminary gradings lat year, we were 13th of 12 places. Of the teams above us, Toulouse are a shoo-in for a start, Wakefield have demonstrably offered less than Cas both in the last 10 years, and throughout the Super League era, but are technically a 'city' team and have redeveloped their stadium before we have (from the sounds of it we have planning permission sorted out, but still no financing in place) so scored better than us and are likely to win the champ this season so score higher on performance measures. And the last is Leigh, who I can't see for the life of me Cas scoring better than at the end of the season (even it would be fun to see if only for Beaumont's subsequent meltdown). I'm also pretty sure IMG/SL/RFL will want London back ASAP for a capital presence.

We've also seemingly been incredibly lackadaisical about the grading as we were convinced last year that we would be 'about 8th' (!!!). I'm not convinced that the plans we have in place to sneak a few extra points here and there will make much difference as surely all the clubs around us will be doing the same thing if it's that easy. We were also told last season that we would have a much stronger team this year. Within 5 games that has been significantly downgraded to acknowledging that we don't have a competitive team, but next year we will, honest. Bare in mind that only 3 years ago we reached the CC final and only missed out on the playoffs on the last game of the season, despite downing tools for half the year prioritising the cup. The collapse has been bewildering to see.

If you'd have told people 5 years ago that Cas would be the favourites for the drop as they contribute nothing to SL to make way for Wakefield, Leigh and possibly Bradford, they'd have laughed. Now we're being laughed at instead.

dr beat

Got a ticket for the CC final today, only £30.  Im in London that day for the Mets v Phillies baseball game which starts at 6.10pm, hadn't clocked until recently that the CCF was earlier that day.  Got 60-90mins to get from Wembley Park to Stratford, confident its doable.  And if the baseball gets rained out I guess I could just hang around for the 1895 Cup.

I think a Saints v Wigan final this year would be good as it might get a good crowd and shut the online moaners up a bit.  Certain RL fora suck the life out of me.

Gulftastic

Another game of two halvesfor Leeds.

In the first, we were hopeless and invited wave after wave of attacks from Cas. Luckily they are very poor and our goal line defence was good.

Second half we got a bit of momentum and ran away with it.

dr beat

This doesn't sound good for the Airlie Birds.

Mr Eggs

A belter at the Totally Wicked.

Mr Eggs

Gulftastic

I'm glad Leeds have realised that playing shit for at least one half wasn't the best tactic.

Sadly, we've adjusted the wrong way.

Gulftastic

Holy heck. Hull FC are defying logic and getting even worse. That was a SPECTACULARLY awful first half display.

Mr Eggs

Matty Ashton's beard is a fucking disaster.

dr beat

Any substance in the rumours of Richie Myler taking over at Hull FC?

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: dr beat on April 14, 2024, 06:43:40 PMAny substance in the rumours of Richie Myler taking over at Hull FC?

It felt like it was all but confirmed a couple of days ago, but seems to have gone quiet since. The suggestion at the time was that Myler's extremely wealthy father-in-law was set to invest a large amount of money into the club, with Myler's appointment being tied to that. But the father-in-law in question is Andrew Thirkill, who is the president of... Leeds Rhinos. So not sure how that arrangement would work.

dr beat

Thanks, all sounded a bit odd to me.

dr beat

Didn't expect such a good win at Widnes today.  New coach Allan Coleman strikes me as an ambitious character who wants to make the most of an opportunity.  But we are at very early days in the season, and its Fev away next up.  Plenty of time for our customary eight match losing streak.

dr beat

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on April 14, 2024, 07:22:56 PMIt felt like it was all but confirmed a couple of days ago, but seems to have gone quiet since. The suggestion at the time was that Myler's extremely wealthy father-in-law was set to invest a large amount of money into the club, with Myler's appointment being tied to that. But the father-in-law in question is Andrew Thirkill, who is the president of... Leeds Rhinos. So not sure how that arrangement would work.

So it's official then, Myler is Director of Rugby at Hull FC.