Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:02:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ball, Ball, Ball - Footy, Footy, Footy: 2018/2019

Started by gabrielconroy, July 22, 2018, 12:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 07, 2019, 04:34:31 PM
All the owners dating back to the 80s. The core fan base in the 80s - was at a game when an Arsenal fan was killed by a fascist. The grafitti on my garage. Of course the rave scene dampened some of the more extreme elements but gave birth to 90s Gazza, which was worse

Sorry but trying to cite 80s football hooliganism - which is over 30 years ago to claim the club is full of neo-nazis is just plain strange. I can understand from your early experiences why you would hold a dislike against the club, I would if that happened. From what I can see racism is a North East issue, not a specific Newcastle United issue now.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 07, 2019, 05:54:24 PM
Sorry but trying to cite 80s football hooliganism - which is over 30 years ago to claim the club is full of neo-nazis is just plain strange. I can understand from your early experiences why you would hold a dislike against the club, I would if that happened. From what I can see racism is a North East issue, not a specific Newcastle United issue now.

Hook, line, sinker,....,nazi.

Durance Vile

Quote from: king_tubby on February 05, 2019, 08:42:04 PM
Well, this is all fucking shit, but at least none of you fuckers have mentioned St Pauli as your 'second' team, so we must be thankful for small mercies.

That'll be me then, but in my defence, it goes all the way back to 1988 when I lived in Hamburg and everyone I met told me it was much more fun than going to HSV. And I did put in two seasons of going to most of their home games. This was back in the day before the smugness became insufferable.

It's Gillingham all the way for me, though, because that's where I grew up.

I have soft spots for teams from places where I've lived or spent a lot of time, which are Leeds, St. Pauli, Lille, Bremen, Szczecin, Stargard, and both Hertha and Union Berlin, which marks me out as an immigrant. But if they lose, it doesn't really bother me, unlike when Gills do.

As a kid I was heavily into Arsenal, but I have absolutely no attachment to them now.

ToneLa

When I was very wee I did really like Blackburn Rovers simply based on their kit when I bought them for Subbuteo, but, in classic ToneLa bad timing, my interest dipped around 1993 when they finished 4th after my first team battered em

28 years old etc.

king_tubby

Quote from: Durance Vile on February 07, 2019, 09:53:06 PM
That'll be me then, but in my defence, it goes all the way back to 1988 when I lived in Hamburg and everyone I met told me it was much more fun than going to HSV. And I did put in two seasons of going to most of their home games. This was back in the day before the smugness became insufferable.

It's Gillingham all the way for me, though, because that's where I grew up.

I have soft spots for teams from places where I've lived or spent a lot of time, which are Leeds, St. Pauli, Lille, Bremen, Szczecin, Stargard, and both Hertha and Union Berlin, which marks me out as an immigrant. But if they lose, it doesn't really bother me, unlike when Gills do.

As a kid I was heavily into Arsenal, but I have absolutely no attachment to them now.

OK, I'll allow that one.

My dad's Gillingham, supposedly. I think it's cos they're the only team in Kent who aren't shit.

Leeds though? I've lived here 22 years and I'd rather eat a bowl of dicks than have any kind of sympathy for the white shite.

Durance Vile

Quote from: king_tubby on February 07, 2019, 10:03:48 PM
My dad's Gillingham, supposedly. I think it's cos they're the only team in Kent who aren't shit.

Leeds though? I've lived here 22 years and I'd rather eat a bowl of dicks than have any kind of sympathy for the white shite.

Your first part's a moot point, unfortunately.

As for Leeds, it just happened that when I lived there one of our crowd was a Leeds fan and we all used to go down to Elland Road together and I got carried along with it. When Leeds were away, we all used to go and watch another of the gang's teams if they happened to be playing in Yorkshire or nearby. That kept us occupied pretty much every Saturday and a lot of midweeks, too.

Bronzy

Quote from: king_tubby on February 05, 2019, 08:42:04 PM
Well, this is all fucking shit, but at least none of you fuckers have mentioned St Pauli as your 'second' team, so we must be thankful for small mercies.

To me St. Pauli seems like a football club for people who don't really care about football

Bronzy

Rangers, Man Utd, Millwall, Real Madrid, AC Milan, Lazio, HSV, River Plate, RCD Espanyol, Ajax, AS Monaco.

Grew up supporting Rangers, and then decided to support every other vaguely right-wing/"establishment" club I could for the bants

Shoulders?-Stomach!

In Prague Bohemians are the only club who have the combo of creaky old stadium (very close to Slavia's too, in Everton/Notts County style), hardcore fanbase and absolute left-wingery (along with poor track record).

Sparta is a cunt club to support I'm afraid, Slavia is the elitist attempt, with a bland stadium, Chinese backing and corporate shit as far as the eye can see, Dukla have cult history, interesting stadium but no fans or atmosphere, Zizkov is a great district but have no fans (outsing by 40 away fans when I saw them) and play at 10.30 AM on Sundays. Olympia? Pointless club.

mr. logic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 07, 2019, 04:34:31 PM
All the owners dating back to the 80s. The core fan base in the 80s - was at a game when an Arsenal fan was killed by a fascist. The grafitti on my garage. Of course the rave scene dampened some of the more extreme elements but gave birth to 90s Gazza, which was worse

Fuck off, you twat.

Oh, right. You were doing a bit.

Crabwalk

I'm going as an away fan to Norwich v Ipswich on Sunday. As usual it's a 12pm kickoff and we've been told to get there an hour early to allow time for extensive security checks. We need to show photo ID or they won't let us in (they've written our names on the tickets), and we have to show it on demand within the ground. Oh, and no alcohol for us either. Still it's only £40 a ticket.

Thatcher must be wanking in her grave.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: mr. logic on February 08, 2019, 08:22:20 AM
Fuck off, you twat.

Oh, right. You were doing a bit.

Not after that reply. YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM - WORSE THAN MICKEY QUINN (IRA SYMPATHISER)

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 08, 2019, 01:45:26 PM
I'm going as an away fan to Norwich v Ipswich on Sunday. As usual it's a 12pm kickoff and we've been told to get there an hour early to allow time for extensive security checks. We need to show photo ID or they won't let us in (they've written our names on the tickets), and we have to show it on demand within the ground. Oh, and no alcohol for us either. Still it's only £40 a ticket.

Are they expecting a horde of tractors to come piling into the home fans?

Crabwalk

I fail to see how any of their measures would be effective in preventing that.

EOLAN

Quote from: Crabwalk on February 08, 2019, 01:45:26 PM

Best of luck with that. Let's at least have a massive upset for ye.
Even more surprisingly I may have to be cheering on ferriswheelbueller's team tonight as well.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The measures described above have nothing to do with Thatcher whose government's responses to hooliganism showed no actual understanding of the issue, and the measures were more draconian and unthinking in their treating fans as wild animals, indeed these measures you mention are all well established 00s approaches to policing notorious difficult matches and derbies. Combination of documenting people, soft stuff like technology and tough shit stuff like holding fans back from exiting the ground so they can't encounter each other.

I know that doesn't make it any better, but fans could always try not trying to start fights and pointlessly step over the line over and over again to abuse each other. Fans could try not terrifying their own young/female/minority supporters and bystanders.

Oh wait that'll never happen Looks Like It's The Heavy Handed Regulations Then.

Ferris

Quote from: EOLAN on February 08, 2019, 03:16:57 PM
Best of luck with that. Let's at least have a massive upset for ye.
Even more surprisingly I may have to be cheering on ferriswheelbueller's team tonight as well.

One down, everyone else on CaB to go...

The Culture Bunker

One international manager may be thinking "honestly, in this family you make a mistake and some never let you forget it..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQL4tl0U_5o&feature=youtu.be

Crabwalk

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 08, 2019, 05:26:41 PM
The measures described above have nothing to do with Thatcher whose government's responses to hooliganism showed no actual understanding of the issue, and the measures were more draconian and unthinking in their treating fans as wild animals, indeed these measures you mention are all well established 00s approaches to policing notorious difficult matches and derbies. Combination of documenting people, soft stuff like technology and tough shit stuff like holding fans back from exiting the ground so they can't encounter each other.

I know that doesn't make it any better, but fans could always try not trying to start fights and pointlessly step over the line over and over again to abuse each other. Fans could try not terrifying their own young/female/minority supporters and bystanders.

Mate, it's Norwich v Ipswich not Boca Jrs v River Plate. Next month's Merseyside derby kicks off at 4.30. Will away fans have to show photo ID? Will they be able to buy booze in the ground? What were the restrictions at the last Tyne & Wear derby? Genuine questions.

Will these measures ease or add to any tensions on Sunday? I've no issue with the carefully controlled segregation of fans. The rest of it is absolute bollocks though for a tie like this.

Obviously with the Thatcher reference I was mainly referring to photo ID being demanded at the ground. Do they even use that tactic for Old Firm games? Is a fat, underpaid steward going to run his hand up my inside leg?

bgmnts

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 08, 2019, 05:26:41 PM

Well yeah, rules are there so people who are morally okay with doing bad things are less inclined to do them.

BlodwynPig

How many live games have you taken in, bgmnts? Do you think the Anfield crowd are more prawn sandwich eaters these days?

DrGreggles

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 08, 2019, 06:18:36 PM
Do you think the Anfield crowd are more prawn sandwich eaters these days?

Definitely.
The atmosphere at games played in daylight is generally rotten these days.

ToneLa

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 08, 2019, 06:18:36 PM
How many live games have you taken in, bgmnts? Do you think the Anfield crowd are more prawn sandwich eaters these days?

The Anfield crowd are still the best (I am biased) but I've met an absolute ton of cunts at the game or going to it

One old dude shushed me and my mate and the randoms next to us for singing. Baffling. Another spent the game screaming HENDO YOU CUNT!! over and over. That was it, just... I dunno, why bother going?
Then the lad who came up to me in the pub before and asked if I had any coke cause I looked like I would. Wanted a selfie with me. Er... (I didn't have any cocaine, before anyone asks!)

And of course. Of course. The meffs who buy half-and-half scarves. I understand if it's a friendly from a different league or country but when we play bloody Chelsea?

Still had way, way, way more brilliant experiences there mind. Except that mad pen shootout with Middlesbrough in 2014.  When you witness Simon Mignolet take a penalty you know you've witnessed .... something you repeat when you talk about disappointing Anfield experiences.

imitationleather

Cologne smelling very nice against St. Pauli tonight.

I'll always have a soft spot for Koln after their fans took over the Emirates that time.

finnquark

Anti-teams: Droylsden, Warrington, Salford City, any of the multiple Northwich Vics, Fleetwood.

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 08, 2019, 05:34:00 PM
One down, everyone else on CaB to go...

Managed to get Ferris Jr to sleep, dug my jersey out the closet and sat down to watch this.

Villa are fucking awful. Why do I do this to myself? They all look lost, like they met each other in the tunnel on the way to the pitch.

I hate football.

BlodwynPig

Ooof, 3-0 down, BRING BACK JOHNNY TERRY!

With the games in hand, even 17th place Brentford could overtake Villa.

ersatz99

What's happened to us? We were flying earlier when Smith first took over thrashing boro and Derby. The only difference between then and now is an injured Grealish.

Mr. Internet

I've said it before, I think the rot runs much deeper than the players and manager.

There must be something wrong with us as a club. That's the only explanation for how we take good players and consistently run them to shit.

Ferris

Quote from: Mr. Internet on February 08, 2019, 09:27:28 PM
I've said it before, I think the rot runs much deeper than the players and manager.

There must be something wrong with us as a club. That's the only explanation for how we can take good players and consistently run them to shit.

Agree. I turned it off at 0-2.

Kodjia looks completely uninterested, and he was great for Bristol. What was that winger we signed from Boro? He's gone as well I note. Alan Hutton is the main attacking threat. It's all a complete shambles.