Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:04:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghostbusters 6: Frozen Empire (2024)

Started by Bad Ambassador, November 08, 2023, 04:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

I miscounted, but I'm not going to change it.

madhair60

ghostbusters afterlife is the worst film ever made and anyone who likes it is genuinely stupid, no offence. this looks like it has the potential to be less dreadful than that abyss of cow shit, but i will be pirating it online for free and absolutely not giving a penny to jason reitman, who i have cruelly dubbed "jason wrongman".

Old Nehamkin

Didn't watch the last one but are these films even trying to be comedies anymore? There are zero jokes in that trailer.

frajer

This looks like a big frozen dog egg, but I very much disliked Ghostbusters Afterlife too.

Looks like they're still persisting with the unduly reverential tone from the way Egon Jr Jr touches that fire pole like it should mean a thing to anyone.

The kids reel back from the airing cupboard, as they find Ray's spunked-up duvet from that night he got sucked off by a ghost.

Famous Mortimer

It just seems unsuitable to be made into a franchise.

madhair60

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 08, 2023, 05:18:53 PMIt just seems unsuitable to be made into a franchise.

nah, sorry, bollocks. tooled up cunts catching ghosts is the single best concept in the history of entertainment. it's a testament to sony being utterly useless rems that they've repeatedly fucked up THIS MUCH the easiest home run in cinematic history. HOW can they FUCK UP THIS. MUCH.

BritishHobo

If they had any balls at all they would have ended that trailer with a suited-up Leslie Jones kicking open the doors of the firehouse, shouting "WHO YOU GONNA CALL? ME!"

Is the title supposed to sound like Roman Empire?

Norton Canes

Have there really been six Ghostbusters movies? Why not just make a mini-series?

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 08, 2023, 05:28:16 PMIf they had any balls at all they would have ended that trailer with a suited-up Leslie Jones kicking open the doors of the firehouse, shouting "WHO YOU GONNA CALL? ME!"

I bloody loved Kate McKinnon's character in Afterlife, the interplay between her and Kristen Wiig was really good fun, then the film just turned into 'okay, I guess we have to hit all the old film's beats again' and any excitement just fizzled out.

I always thought they should explore the 'franchise' idea, do a Korean, British, French and, I dunno, Australian Ghostbusters, not worry about trying to tie them together, just have a laugh and see what works.

centristmelt

Thought this was the 5th one?

Ghostbusters (1984)
Ghostbusters II (1989)
Ghostbusters (2016)
Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021)
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024)

Have I missed one?

No, although the video game from a few years ago was based on drafts of Ghostbusters III.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: madhair60 on November 08, 2023, 05:27:05 PMnah, sorry, bollocks. tooled up cunts catching ghosts is the single best concept in the history of entertainment. it's a testament to sony being utterly useless rems that they've repeatedly fucked up THIS MUCH the easiest home run in cinematic history. HOW can they FUCK UP THIS. MUCH.
They appear to have really struggled in every iteration that isn't the first movie. Lot of fails for the "single best concept in the history of entertainment".

I'm turning into that guy. Or turned into him a decade ago. But. I loved the first movie due to the quality of the script and the talents involved, not because it was about people catching ghosts. That was fun, certainly, but not fun to the point I'd watch a bland thing which was more that, and less the banter of three fuckup professors who're forced into a new line of work.

idunnosomename

the most successful and engaging extension of the original Ghostbusters film concept is Extreme Ghostbusters

PlanktonSideburns

Shot of a dusty old ghost trap

Slow sad piano version of the original Ray Parker Junior song

Butchers Blind

Didn't think Afterlife did that well to warrant another go

centristmelt

Quote from: Butchers Blind on November 08, 2023, 09:59:49 PMDidn't think Afterlife did that well to warrant another go

It made $204m from a budget of $75m, so it hardly bombed :)

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Butchers Blind on November 08, 2023, 09:59:49 PMDidn't think Afterlife did that well to warrant another go

I was surprised too, apparently it made $204.4 million worldwide with a $75 million budget, compared to Answer The Call which made $229.1 million worldwide against its $144 million budget, so technically Afterlife made more money, even if less people saw it.

Edit: Beaten to it.

Mister Six

Looks shit.

Is it just me or is lots of people dying horribly in a Ghostbusters movie a bit off?

I mean, I know the ghosts come from somewhere, but I don't think they ever actually killed anyone in the first two films, did they?

Anyway, I reckon this will bomb. The first one had some novelty and the "ooh, the Ghostbusters are back" cameos. This looks like it could be a fucking Transformers film if you made those ice spikes into metal and had the ambulance turn into a twat.

stonkers

Add me to the surprised list, I assumed it bombed but that's a decentish return on investment and I guess they rationalised it would have done better had it not come out in COVID times. This new one still seems like a bit of a punt since the reaction to Afterlife was not overwhelmingly positive.

Mister Six

Goldentony

has no capacity to be good, the idea is beyond the capabilties of every single person involved and they should be ashamed for not using the time and effort on literally anything else. Imagine trying to make a cloying nostalgia void out of a film like Used Cars or Shakes The Clown???? IMAGINE IT. IT'D BE GREAT NOW I THINK ABOUT IT.

I heard the Blowjob Ghost comes back in this one.

centristmelt

I'm going to go full patriarchy and call this one Ghostbusters IV

Oh, Nobody

Oh Patton. Patton, Patton, Patton.

I preferred this when it was called Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Rev+

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on November 08, 2023, 04:43:17 PMDidn't watch the last one but are these films even trying to be comedies anymore? There are zero jokes in that trailer.

The last one had this shit motif involving the kids trying to come up with their 'best joke', because you have to be armed with that for your first day at school apparently.  This meant that a gag completely unrelated to the action would get shoved in every ten minutes or so because yes, they'd clearly forgotten it was supposed to be a comedy rather than a nostalgia fest when writing the first draft.

Sonny_Jim

greenman

Quote from: centristmelt on November 08, 2023, 07:43:19 PMThought this was the 5th one?

Ghostbusters (1984)
Ghostbusters II (1989)
Ghostbusters (2016)
Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021)
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024)

Have I missed one?

90's Paul McGann reboot atempt.