Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:10:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Constellation

Started by thr0b, February 23, 2024, 11:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thr0b

Just started watching this on Apple TV, as it was mentioned in t'other thread.

I'm really enjoying it.

Mike Ehrmantraut The Astronaut helps, obv.

It's reminding me a lot of Apollo 13, crossed with little-seen but TREMENDOUS Sky drama, Fortitude, along with little-seen but TREMENDOUS (but for the make-up effects) German Netflix drama, Dark.

Anyway. I like it.

(And you should watch Fortitude if it's on anything. And Dark. But subbed, not dubbed.)

Dex Sawash

I think Rapace was a poor choice for this role in The OA in Space

thr0b

I have also been enjoying the Obviouslyfake NASA logo, while the ESA logo is entirely the official one.

thr0b

Oh, and the other thing. Without being a spoiler, because it's literally in the first scene, I recognised immediately that the tape being listened to is one of the recordings of alleged lost cosmonauts from the real world. Which are fucking creepy as anything, genuine or not.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080729040737/http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/1302/lost_in_space.html

https://youtu.be/OpT0y4CVnZo?si=CgHdcCebsBeDFNUp

(Episode 3 really gets twisty, and Rose Tyler's dad shows up.)

Quote from: thr0b on February 24, 2024, 09:49:55 PM(Episode 3 really gets twisty, and Rose Tyler's dad shows up.)

Spoiler alert
It seems his lot in life is to get killed in weird time-related ways
[close]

I'm enjoying it so far. I think it's a show that's designed so that after you've watched the whole thing you can go back and watch it again with a different eye now that you understand what was happening in the first few episodes.

thr0b

Definitely one to re-watch. It's enough to resist the temptation to rewind during scenes as things appear to have changed and not be taking place in the way they're presented.

In episode 4, I was sure the Fisher Price tape recorder changed to a slightly different model between shots. (It didn't. But it might be different in a previous episode.)

Dex Sawash

I'm too thick to watch this. No idea wtf is going on.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on February 29, 2024, 10:06:35 AMI'm too thick to watch this. No idea wtf is going on.

I'm a bit lost too, why is Mike Breaking Bad on a cruise AND in the lab at the same time - is it a quantum physics thing or is one in the future/past?

Ant Farm Keyboard

He plays twins. They even have a FaceTime™ chat during episode 4.

Also, why would they send recordings on cassettes instead of MP3s?

thr0b

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on February 29, 2024, 11:28:39 AMHe plays twins. They even have a FaceTime™ chat during episode 4.

Also, why would they send recordings on cassettes instead of MP3s?

They're, er, not twins.

We're seeing at least two different realities at once. And sometimes the reality we're watching at the start of a scene might not be the same reality throughout. Sometimes it's obviously the case. Sometimes not.

The biggest clues are right in the first episode with the chat on the iPad. Pay close attention to what's going on there and you'll go "blimey".

Dex Sawash

burst_arm

Quote from: thr0b on February 29, 2024, 02:33:53 PMThey're, er, not twins.

We're seeing at least two different realities at once. And sometimes the reality we're watching at the start of a scene might not be the same reality throughout. Sometimes it's obviously the case. Sometimes not.

The biggest clues are right in the first episode with the chat on the iPad. Pay close attention to what's going on there and you'll go "blimey".

Can you explain what I'm supposed to see on the Ipad chat?

Add me as another one being too thick for this, I just can't get my head around what's happening.

thr0b

Quote from: burst_arm on March 02, 2024, 03:04:17 AMCan you explain what I'm supposed to see on the Ipad chat?

Add me as another one being too thick for this, I just can't get my head around what's happening.

Pay close attention to Alice's hair and Johanna's uniform. They are not consistent between shots. Deliberately different, in fact.

It's really nicely done - unless you're looking for it, you're not going to see it. But once you see it, you realise - you're not watching the same people throughout the scene.

burst_arm

Quote from: thr0b on March 02, 2024, 09:47:42 AMPay close attention to Alice's hair and Johanna's uniform. They are not consistent between shots. Deliberately different, in fact.

It's really nicely done - unless you're looking for it, you're not going to see it. But once you see it, you realise - you're not watching the same people throughout the scene.

Thanks for that - yep just watched and saw what you mean now. Hat equally fucked here.

Dex Sawash

They should not make things that do not allow you to read cookdandbombd on you phone at same time.

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on February 29, 2024, 11:28:39 AMHe plays twins.

Quote from: Better Midlands on March 02, 2024, 10:26:39 AMHat fucked.

Wait a minute

Quote from: thr0b on February 29, 2024, 02:33:53 PMThey're, er, not twins.

I saw an explainer on YouTube that said Banks was playing twins and mentioned Scott & Mark Kelly but IMDB lists him as playing one character.

thr0b

"I made you piss yourself"

Jonathan Banks is tremendous in this.

Liking the bonding between Alice and her "mother", and the nutty Dutch octogenarian twins this week.

I both am happy that it's weekly, but immediately want to watch the next episode. I'm glad Apple are rationing it properly though. Bingeing has its place, but some shows really benefit from that time to breathe and consider between episodes.

hamfist

It's great. Product placement-arama though.

I think cassettes are used to avoid the recordings being listened to by "the man" and later in the show they'll give iPads to those Danish radio enthusiasts and say "this is even more secure" or something.

So is one Jo shagging Magnus and the other Frederic ?

thr0b

Quote from: hamfist on March 08, 2024, 07:04:07 PMIt's great. Product placement-arama though.

I think cassettes are used to avoid the recordings being listened to by "the man" and later in the show they'll give iPads to those Danish radio enthusiasts and say "this is even more secure" or something.

So is one Jo shagging Magnus and the other Frederic ?

The theory is the "good Jo" lived and never had an affair, but she's in the bad universe where she was a shitty mother (her a
Daughter isn't bilingual) and a distant/unfaithful wife.

Ant Farm Keyboard

It helps if you've watched shows such as Fringe or Counterpart.

hamfist

Quote from: thr0b on March 08, 2024, 09:59:35 PMThe theory is the "good Jo" lived and never had an affair, but she's in the bad universe where she was a shitty mother (her a
Daughter isn't bilingual) and a distant/unfaithful wife.

thank you - oof yes I get it, gonna have to go back and rewatch those scenes where the CAL went crazy.

I was reading a page on PWC's website for work last week and came across this image which put a chill down my spine:

elliszeroed

So during the Apollo 18 mission, did the two Budd's switch universes?

Have we been following one Jo, or both of them? I presume just one, and in the other universe it's the dead guy who survived instead of her.

Enjoying it so far, but hoping it either wraps up sooner than later, or adds another layer to the story.

thr0b

We're following one Jo. Other Jo is maybe alive maybe dead on the ISS. Nobody can say for sure as contact with the ISS is lost. Schrödingers cat and all that.

Ant Farm Keyboard

There's been a lot of clarification in the latest, Beatle-centric, episode.

thr0b

Yup. That was a decent hour of From The Other Side.

Impressed with the usage of footage of Much Younger Jonathan Banks as well. Very well done.

Ant Farm Keyboard

If they want show him at Mission Control in the late seventies, they simply need authorization to use footage from Airplane!

Head Gardener

I've torrented all eps so far and they're on my usb, after reading the reviews here is it worth even starting or should I just delete and be damned?

thr0b

Erm. We're all positive about it here.

I mean, if you want a show that is straightforward, it's not for you. Is that what you mean?

Dex Sawash

I called it The OA in Space which I meant to be negative